PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Wheels Article

ThePhantomRider
06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
So I read the article in Dirty Wheels Saturday in my local 7-11...(Don't buy it, just read the magazine, put it down and wash your hands...LOL)

They did a pretty good write up on it, though we are all familiar with DW's writings...

They said the power was at least on par or better than the big 4, but can't tell for sure till shootout time...they liked that the power delivery was very smooth and controllable with no hard hit anywhere.

They said it felt as though the steering was heavy, then realized that it wasn't heavy, but that the front end actually sticks in the corners and tracks with little kickback they are used to, so from the sounds of it, it feels like it's got a steering stabilizer without having one.

It feels very light everywhere, their concern about all the aluminum dissolved when they saw people launching off a ski-type jump hitting ungodly air on a stock machine.

They loved the suspension, said it has to be the best stock suspension ever...bunch of sag, takes the small stuff smooth and then takes the big hits no problem. They also attribute the great handling and less jarring effect on the light suspension not "bouncing" as much as heavier units that need stiffer shocks to control wheel movement, somthing before the DS that wasn't discussed. Since the quad is lighter, and components are lighter, the shock doesn't have to work as hard and can offer up the better ride.

Their only complaint was a matter of preference, the taller riders said they could use a +1" stem to bring the bars up, but that's no biggie.

Surprising, later in the magazine, they had the big 4 shootout and the "Best stock quad yet, the Kawasaki KFX 450 from last month" didn't win this shootout...nope, it's a shocker, but the YFZ is still the "Best overall stock 450" available followed by Honda.

Wonder if we will get an unbia$ed comparison when this thing takes apart the vaunted YFZ, when their publication, Dirty Wheels is behind the words....

TPR

Punk'd
06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh god.. DIRTWHEELS haha

I already know the outcome of the ds vs yfz.

"We still feel that the YFZ is victorious even though it lacks the technology and plus its a Yamaha so we have to tell you its number 1"

:rolleyes:

mxraptor149
06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I haven't read Dirt Wheels' review of it, but having written for them in the past I'm not sure I want to.

Read QUAD's story on the DS450. I imagine it's much better. QUAD talked about the DS lacking power on the low end but coming on strong in the mid and upper ranges. They also talked about wanting a sixth gear.

The lack of bottom end grunt was their sole complaint.

Punk'd
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mxraptor149
I haven't read Dirt Wheels' review of it, but having written for them in the past I'm not sure I want to.

Read QUAD's story on the DS450. I imagine it's much better. QUAD talked about the DS lacking power on the low end but coming on strong in the mid and upper ranges. They also talked about wanting a sixth gear.

The lack of bottom end grunt was their sole complaint.

Quads review on it is already on the shelfs?

mxraptor149
06-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry. I got my subscription copy Saturday, so it may not be yet.

They also have a good sidebar where they interview Josh and Jeremy about their future racing plans.

ThePhantomRider
06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
From what I have read, the low end issue is misleading as it's not a "grunt" motor but one with smooth power everywhere. The deception is that it's lighter and very corked up with a 46mm throttle body and some better breathing intake and exhaust the power difference is much more noticeable than the others.

With a 4 stroke these days, you either have low end torque and less HP up top, or more midrange, top end HP and torque.

They'll realize that there isn't the defficency on the bottom end once they line it up with the others, as it's weight advantage soaks that up, and will also realize that the power ends up being where you need it most.

TPR

Punk'd
06-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Man I cant wait for this thing to be released so I can buy one! But there is a review over at ds-450central vs a YFZ and they say it handless like crap, the seat position is crappy..etc

I just dont understand because this is the exact opposite from what I have been hearing from people who have ridden one??

http://www.ds-450central.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21

54warrior
06-26-2007, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Man I cant wait for this thing to be released so I can buy one! But there is a review over at ds-450central vs a YFZ and they say it handless like crap, the seat position is crappy..etc

I just dont understand because this is the exact opposite from what I have been hearing from people who have ridden one??

http://www.ds-450central.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21

I read the article and it sure sounded like a highly biased review to me. These guys were just afraid to admit how much better it was than their YFZ.

Yes they have pics, and yes they did ride it, but I am highly skeptical of their opinion to say the least.

That was the impression that I got anyway.

ThePhantomRider
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
It's all subjective anyway. I like the YFZ, but it feels like a power wheels to me when I rode it. I have preferred the TRX myself, though I felt almost as comfortable on the KFX, though the power was not what I expected.

Thing was they compared it to what they were used to, admitted that the power was great, even compared to their modded YFZ, and we all know they get alot of power out of a pipe and filter change. If the DS responds the same way, the race isn't even fair.

TPR

LTR450_#67
06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I heard that it corners much like a YFZ and revs like a Zook.....we'll find out later I guess.....

mstrfreestyle69
07-15-2007, 10:31 AM
dirt wheels have always been know for being bias twards yamaha and i think that is crap. i like yamaha and hond but they havent changed anything major in the past 3 years and they still win the shoot outs. i think that dirtwheels needs to get their heads out of their #$% and give these other quads credit and honda and yamaha need to change it up a little.

ja_lopezjr
07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/ja_lopezjr/th_ba1ebcb2.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/ja_lopezjr/?action=view&current=ba1ebcb2.pbr)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/ja_lopezjr/0628071150.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/ja_lopezjr/0628071244.jpg

Here are some pics and a video. this bike is sic

ThePhantomRider
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Is that a dealer demo bike?

ja_lopezjr
07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
no it was one of few prototypes, straight from brp(working for a dealer has its perks)