PDA

View Full Version : A Few ?'s about 250r's (for a noob)

blasterandy
06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I currently own a 400ex and want a 250r. I know I want one but just can't get a good reason in my head why.
I would like to know some common problems with them, i know about how it cracks near the foot peg. can someone show me a picture where this happens exactly.
Also with what is in my sig do you believe i could find a good used 250r with a pipe, suspension and maybe a few other little things. (traded for my ex).
And for trails i am kinda in a bind would i just be better off sticking with the 400, i don't have a problem working the clutch and it seems like i can keep up with just about every one on the trails... i ride with a yz250f and kx125 and i can keep up and out run them. (Sometimes i ride with a ttr225 the guy ridding that is amazing on it but he just needs a faster bike) So my question is am i going to be happy on the 250r. We ride in tight trails, though they are fairly mild in my book. A few hair pins but the berms are pretty nice so those pretty fun. Lots of little cut throughs where dirtbikes can pass each other and occasionally an atv can pass. Anyways tell me your thoughts and anything else you would want to tell a 250r buyer to watch out for.

86 Quad R
06-25-2007, 09:14 AM
i say get the R. you wont be dissappointed in the least. its a great trail bike if set up for it.

as for the foot peg area...... this area is the weakest on the 88-89 years but the 86-87's will stress in this area also. especially if using nerf bars and severly mx'd. the mods to this area can be remidied by re-inforcing the swinger gusset by adding an additional plate or boxing the gusset area or both.

if you do decide on getting an R, suggest that you read the forums here and other places and learn what it takes to own one of these machines as they required different attention than a 4 stroke. not necesserily more attention but different. ask questions and listen to anyone that gives advice regarding the two stroke.

juss my lil ole .02 worth. :cool:

zedicus00
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
if u can learn to fully harness the power of the 2 stroke, and become one with it, you will love it. if not, you will soon find youself wishing you had kept the thumper.

does that sound like its right strtaight out of a fortune cookie or what?

fruity87
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Ive got one that i love. Has taken me a long time to get it right and i have put many hours in wrenchin on it but it is worth it. You wont be dissapointed with the speed, my friends were too scared to ride it after there first time but i love it, its a very fun and a very fast machine. And if you ever have any trouble with it you have this site with a lot of great people to figure stuff out for you.

beobe99
06-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I would also say get the R. It is a much different power delivery but Im sure you'll get use to it. Plus 400ex and 250r are about the same value now a days and you could easyly trade for one, and trade back if it didnt work out. The R's to me just are bad *** dudes that have been used for YEARS over everything else ever made. Now of course 4 strokes came a long way but I also think they have become alot less reliable and much more of a pain in the arse to work on if blown.

Get the R.

ZSK
06-26-2007, 05:40 AM
I have much more fun riding my R than I ever did on my 400ex. My R is leaps and bounds ahead of the 440 in terms of reliability with the same, if not more, power. The type of power takes some getting used to, keep them revved and they'll pull pretty good.

blasterandy
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I use to own a blaster given the power difference i understand the care it takes to own a 2 stroke, but my main question is there anyother common things i should look for, i realize i will just have to ride a few and come up with what i like most.