PDA

View Full Version : poison ivy

bansheerider4
06-25-2007, 04:36 AM
any one have good sure fire ways to get rid of poison ivy quickly....i got it from working and ive been putting calmine lotion on it all the time and it seems like its kinda getting better but everytime i wake up it seems like it spreads...and i need to have this mostly gone by thursday so anyhelp will be appreciated

JJs450r
06-25-2007, 04:59 AM
i was always told bleach

RobbRacer
06-25-2007, 06:08 AM
there are a couple of things that i have found to work really well the first one is called zanfel. this stuff works great but it costs a $40 for a one ounce tube. the other is cheaper and is called contact its in a blue box it have a scrub and a spray if you follow the directions you should have no problem it may not be gone by friday but it wont itch. you can also go the route of carb cleaner. you can find all of this at your local wally world.

Eviltanker
06-25-2007, 06:19 AM
I usually put rubbing alcohol on it. Or go change a fuel filter.

400EXTRA
06-25-2007, 06:54 AM
For me im allergic to it so when i get it its bad but the only thing that ever even touches mine is a shot

06-25-2007, 07:11 AM
bleach works good....i got it once from my farm down in west virginia.

Regular_Joe
06-25-2007, 07:35 AM
All old wives tales. Prevention is the best medicine. I get it a good 2-3 times a year easy.

Basically there is an oily substance on the plant that irritates the skin. It takes a good 24 to 48 hours for it to even begin reacting w/ your skin. Once its on your skin there isn't much you can do except wait it out. Well you can wash it off within the first hour or so ...

Also the blisters don't spread it. If you break out in a spot, it just means you got exposed to the oil in that location at some point.

The problem is most people make it much worse before it gets better. If its on your gloves or boots, and you don't know it. You may have used them over and over again before the rash breaks out. So your actually reinfecting yourself over and over across that first 48 hours. So the first exposure shows up 2 days later. And then where you reinfected yourself shows up for 2-3 days after that. This gives the impression that it is spreading and getting worst.

If you have it you need to clean everything. Boots, gloves, clothes, bedsheets, car steering wheel, door handles, etc. Anything you think that might have gotten that oil on it and spread around. Even give the dog a bath. He can have it on his fur and give it to you just brushing up against you.

Good luck.

Rulz
06-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Quit wasting your time with the over the counter meds and make an appt. with the doc and get a steroid shot, problem resolved!!

ny300exrider
06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
guess where i am going today at 11am??

doctors office to get a poisen ivy shot!!

its the best way to do it man. i get p.i. very bad so before it gets even worse, im getting the shot.

pick up this stuff called TECHNU WASH and every day after work, scrub it onto your hands/arms/etc for 2 minutes and rinse off. it will get all of the oils off your skin and more than likely keep you poisen ivy free. i landscape and work in the $hit every day and the technu kept me p.i. free for over a month. i stopped using the stuff for a day or two, and now i have it spreading all over.

last year i got it in between every one of my fingers, it was honest to god the worst 5 days of my entire life. i had to make a 9 hour trip to my grandparents house in the most uncomfortable condition i have ever been in. i even had to go to the hospital down there because i was losing circulation in my hand. they recomended the shot, got it, within 3 days it was gone.

good luck

:cool:

3exrider23
06-25-2007, 09:26 AM
i had it really really bad like 2 years ago. my whole body was swollen. it was to the point were i missed school a few days. i went to the doctor,they gave me some steriods. worked great for me. was completely away in a matter of like 4 days

honda8&3
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Use unleaded gas. Me and my uncle use it all of the time when we are out cutting up trees and get poison ivy.

bansheerider4
06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
i was wondering also when im drying off after a shower or whatnot will it spread if i take the towel over it then wipe it somewhere else on my body?and the same question with soap...will it spread from the soap on to me>?

Ghost-Rider
06-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider

doctors office to get a poisen ivy shot

its the best way to do it man.

pick up this stuff called TECHNU WASH and every day after work, scrub it onto your hands/arms/etc for 2 minutes and rinse off. it will get all of the oils off your skin

good luck

:cool:

Got psn sumac extremly bad last fall in a swamp.Was so bad had to go to docs get a shot and a steriod pack of pills as well.It was well worth it man youll notice it getting bettrr within an hour.And the technu wash is great stuff we use it and i know its saved me many times.

coolex
06-25-2007, 03:38 PM
i never got poisne ivy i mean my whole family gets it real bad and has to do the steriods nad shots for it, and i know for a fact ive touched poisen ivy more than they have but it never makes me itchy or anything. i gueess i just lucked out and arent allergict to it