PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problems

Gregjy
06-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I have an 86 R with a PT 300 top end. Not sure the how many hp I am running but I can not keep clutches in it. I just put a new clutch in like three or four rides ago. Dunes are where we play. I put a barnett in it this time and the one before was a EBC. Now its slipping like crazy again and will not adjust out or hook up. What to do...... Tired of this..... Do I need stronger springs??? Not a clutch guy but followed th e instructions all the way through...HELP.... Thanks.

250r4life
06-25-2007, 12:20 AM
im wondering if its not set up right... not adjusted correctly?

i have a hinson basket with a barnet clutch, and i work the clutch quite a bit and do quite a bit of dragging... mine has held up great, and apparently transfers the power pretty good as i grenaded 2nd gear in my bike...

redrooster310r
06-25-2007, 05:47 AM
yeah sounds like the adjustment is way out......use oem plates and fibers with cr 500 springs....mine lasted 5 years..ebc springs are way too stiff,,,,, not to mention the fibers suck .

86 Quad R
06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
are you soaking the clutches prior to installing them? what kinda shape is the inner hub and pressure plate? the basket isnt grooved is it? how old are the springs that you are currently using?

jon370r
06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I have seen alot of motors with mismatched clutch components(push rod, pressure plate, roller bearing etc..) If the correct parts are not matched together you can lose all of your adjustment and not be putting full spring pressure on the plates even with the cable with full slack on it. This will lead to the clutch slipping and premature wear. The lever on the engine that the cable attaches to should move freely back and forth about 1/4" before becoming stiff from the clutch spring pressure. If not your pressure plate is being held open slightly because the is no clearance between it and the push rod and your not getting full spring pressure to the clutch plates. If unsure about the correct parts its best to just buy a "89"update kit that has all the parts needed to do it right.

wilkin250r
06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
That's certainly not normal.

Have you thought about taking (or sending) it to a shop? I can't give you a complete walkthrough on all the clearances to check and issues to look for, there's too many possible scenarios. But a good shop can easily check and repair those, probably for only a few hundred bucks.

Gregjy
06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I am gonna tear her down tomorrow night and see what I got. I am thinking the update kit may be coming next....

kiesta00
06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
hey greg sorry to hear about the clutch troubles...definitely get the update kit, it helped a lot on my bike. make sure you get all the pieces to the kit though, or it won't work correctly.

Kirt13
06-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Gregjy
I have an 86 R with a PT 300 top end. Not sure the how many hp I am running but I can not keep clutches in it. I just put a new clutch in like three or four rides ago. Dunes are where we play. I put a barnett in it this time and the one before was a EBC. Now its slipping like crazy again and will not adjust out or hook up. What to do...... Tired of this..... Do I need stronger springs??? Not a clutch guy but followed th e instructions all the way through...HELP.... Thanks.

Did you soak the clutches in oil for about a day before you put them in?

Meat
06-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by jon370r
I have seen alot of motors with mismatched clutch components(push rod, pressure plate, roller bearing etc..) If the correct parts are not matched together you can lose all of your adjustment and not be putting full spring pressure on the plates even with the cable with full slack on it. This will lead to the clutch slipping and premature wear. The lever on the engine that the cable attaches to should move freely back and forth about 1/4" before becoming stiff from the clutch spring pressure. If not your pressure plate is being held open slightly because the is no clearance between it and the push rod and your not getting full spring pressure to the clutch plates. If unsure about the correct parts its best to just buy a "89"update kit that has all the parts needed to do it right.

jon370r to the rescue!! I just put a new clutch lever and cable on my R and was wondering how to adjust the clutch. Banshee's have a little arrows you line, one arrow on the case and one on the lever the cable attaches too. I didnt see any marks on my 250r anywhere. well anyways, thanks for the help. what year CR are those cr500 clutch springs from .... ??

xlr810
06-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Some very good advice being given in this thread...

His problems could possibly be that the pressure plate and inner hub have worn surfaces like this? (see that the area where the friction plates ride is worn in?)

xlr810
06-30-2007, 11:11 PM
The inner hub can have the same type of wear in the area where it contacts the friction plate.

xlr810
06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
here's a good example of a grooved basket.

This is unlikely his problem, since it usually doesn't cause total clutch slippage, but it certainly contributes to the feel of the clutch engagement, and the ease of finding neutral, and other gears.

Gregjy
07-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Tearing her down tomorrow to see what is going on. Thanks for the pics and the help guys. Just hope to get her fixed for next weekend. Will update you all Sunday night when I see what I have.

Gregjy
07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Tore it down and I can not see anything wrong. Am at a loss here... Gotta get a mech. friend of mine over to check it out I guess....:confused:

xlr810
07-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Try this: with the clutch cover off, and the clutch pack fully installed, clutch cable in place and all-- push in on the end of the lifter rod, and check for slack. It should have roughly 1mm "play" in it there. If it is solid against the pressure plate, then some adjustments must be made-- or new matching components like Jon370 suggested-- should be installed.

Also-- Have you been replacing the steel plates? They can get warped and cause premature clutch wear.