PDA

View Full Version : sunk in river, now no power

cbr929rr
06-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Didn't make the crossing, bike stalled and was re-started in the water, by the time i get across water is being fired out the exhaust. I pull the airbox plug drain water and ride to the truck. Check the oil and its clean, so i go to garage and the quad runs and idles but doesn't have the juice to loft the front wheels, this has never been a problem. Could water be in the carb? I don't have a compression tester but there is no more water vapor or smoke coming from the exhaust. I think it may be fuel related. Where else should i look? There isn't an engine knock.

nissin 93
06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
clean the carb drain and change the fuel drain the oil so its all fresh oh sorry and the spark plug should help

charlie211
07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
You are not going to like this, but this has to do with a car...

Hydrolock
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In automotive terminology, a hydrolock (short for hydraulic lock) is the immobilization of an engine's pistons by a liquid (usually water, hence the prefix "hydro-"). Hydrolocking occurs when liquid fills a cylinder on the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of a liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine. Typically, connecting rods will be bent, making the engine uneconomical to repair.

Don't forget to drain the carbs too and maybe a fresh tank of gas couldn't hurt. Good luck...

bellzbub
07-20-2007, 11:52 AM
this happened to my buddy a few years ago. when he fixed his it was the rings. they had compressed into the piston so they would not seal enough to get good comp. replaced the piston and rings and the gaskets and it has been fine since. good place to start.