PDA

View Full Version : sunk in river, now no power?

cbr929rr
06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Didn't make the crossing, bike stalled and was re-started in the water, by the time i get across water is being fired out the exhaust. I pull the airbox plug drain water and ride to the truck. Check the oil and its clean, so i go to garage and the quad runs and idles but doesn't have the juice to loft the front wheels, this has never been a problem. Could water be in the carb? I don't have a compression tester but there is no more water vapor or smoke coming from the exhaust. I think it may be fuel related. Where else should i look? There isn't an engine knock.

250x_kyle
06-24-2007, 10:59 PM
if u didnt change the oil change it. drain all gas and put new gas in it. clecan teh filter. you should have changed the oil before u started it again and put new gas in it. if all fails then rebuild time

EX LONERIDER
06-24-2007, 11:24 PM
im aiming twards water in the fuel. keep in mind water sinks to the bottom so the top of your dip will look fine. change your oil.

you may wanna take your carb appart and make sure all the water is out of every jet, passage, etc...

blasterandy
06-25-2007, 10:46 AM
You pretty much have to change the oil everytime you sink/ start and restart while in the water. You prolly pulled water into the carb, also if water got into the cylinder it would reduce performance and prolly not even start. Water cannot be compressed thus you will not get the compression... Needless to say don't run it again. Until, carb is taken off checked out and cleaned, turn the cylinder over(once or twice) while the carb is off if and type of water comes out then your problem, is in the carb.(and i guess the cylinder too), The oil is changed, gas, and A/F is cleaned.

davetheslave
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
You could have partially hydro locked the engine, possible causing a broken ring landing, cracked piston, and I've even seen rods bend a little from this. Thats worst case scenario if cleaning the carb and changing the oil doesn't help