PDA

View Full Version : I HATE this quad.....

Rich250RRacer
06-24-2007, 09:56 PM
You may have seen pics of my '07 kicker posted when I first got it back in February. Now after one harescramble and two trail rides, I can honestly say I hate this thing. The quad will stall for no reason at all, usually under 1/4 throttle, and most of the time if it's pointed even slightly downhill. Then it REFUSES to start. Restarting takes between 15 and 20 kicks, and if the front end of the quad is even slightly lower than the rear, it will not start at all. Oddly enough, a friend has an '06 that is set up exactly the same. Both have HRC kits only, no other engine mods, and he is experiencing the same problem. Today, I rode another '06 kicker, no HRC kit, just an HMF slip-on, open air box and jetted for these mods. No stalling problem or starting issues with this quad what so ever. Have any other '06-07 kicker owners had similar problems, with or without the HRC kit? I can't race this quad like this, it takes you out of the race both physically and mentally. I love my '04 450R, but if I knew there would be problems like this with the '07, I would have seriously considered buying a YFZ.

Here's a current pic, before I took it out for it's first race about three weeks ago.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pca1790840a802e49760c996d033e4d63/e952bc0b.jpg

Gray33
06-24-2007, 10:07 PM
hey man i am looking to get a 04-05 honda 450r do you think they have any problems also where ya from from ohio i am from down by willshire ohio...Where you race at man?

Rich250RRacer
06-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Gray33
hey man i am looking to get a 04-05 honda 450r do you think they have any problems also where ya from from ohio i am from down by willshire ohio...Where you race at man?

My '04 is great, no complaints at all. I'm from Youngstown. I run most of the CRA harescrambles.

Gray33
06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
hey you know anyone selling a 04-05 used 450r?> You have more connections then me so i thought i would ask

Rich250RRacer
06-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Gray33
hey you know anyone selling a 04-05 used 450r?> You have more connections then me so i thought i would ask

I do. Look here.

http://ohiomafia.rawatv.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8826

Gray33
06-24-2007, 10:40 PM
is he sellign whole or in parts tho?

the Z Man
06-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Check the cam clearance on your starting issue, also the auto decompress may be outta wack...
Have you disconnected the throttle positioning sensor? (may help)
Pilot jet...
Hot start.

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Whats your jetting at? Sounds more like user error than anything

06-25-2007, 06:39 AM
myself and lonestar_r are having the same issues...been like this since new and getting increasingly worse...once i get my shocks back from derisi, i am going to adjust the valves on it, hoping that helps...

Rich250RRacer
06-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Whats your jetting at? Sounds more like user error than anything

It is jetted with the HRC jet kit. NO it's not a valve clearance issue, OR a decomp issue.

spincr4hire
06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I have an 06 ER with the kicker installed. Mine has the same issues as far as not wanting to restart, but I think its a valve clearance issue with mine. Sometimes it will start first kick after the motor is hot, sometimes it takes 10 kicks. Electric start is pretty much useless once the motor is hot.
I'm thinking seriously about going back to an 05.

06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
it was like this when it was stock, but seems worse since i did add an exhaust, and air filter, along with a rejet of the carb. the plug reads fine and it runs like a a raped ape after i get it started. but the stalling issue is causing me to think about the rekluse pro clutch. i had the rekluse clutch but i didn't like the perch adjuster or the maintenance needed to keep it running right.

also, no hrc kit in mine, although i did use the hrc needle when i rejetted

hendershot106
06-25-2007, 07:04 AM
sometimes it helps to push the throttle in a little bit on the downstroke when your kicking it after starting with the kicker all the way up--- (but thats with the TPS unhooked)-

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
sometimes it helps to push the throttle in a little bit on the downstroke when your kicking it after starting with the kicker all the way up--- (but thats with the TPS unhooked)-

touching the gas at all while kicking these motors over is a bad idea...

hendershot106
06-25-2007, 07:20 AM
????????????????????????????????????????? why?:confused:

06-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Dude, you are giving this guy really bad advice. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS WHILE STARTING THE 450R!!!!! If you do this, you will eventually be replacing your case.

Man, I can't believe a fellow West Virginian would even give such advice.

:(

hendershot106
06-25-2007, 11:06 AM
this is where u all explain your snappy comebacks as to why- works for me and i never replaced my case. it doesnt help anybody if u just say "DONT DO THAT". you have to have some education to say that. the only reason honda info says not to touch the throttle when starting is because of the electric starter clutch kicking back. and when it is on a kick start bike............. why would it make a difference -- u show me the cases of repeated situations where someone blew there case apart and maybe i will believe u. until then i will touch the throttle if i need to to start my 06 450r when it is hot; just as i started my 04 in similar fashion that is still running strong on its third owner. and by the way force i was born in ohio.

furthermore- speedyquad: did u try raising your idle rpm slightly- i also had trouble with mine this winter stalling- i raised the idle speed slightly------ also check your cdi box connections to make sure they are not loose/dirty and they are snapped tightly-- and check your throttle linkage in the top of your carburetor to make sure it isnt coming loose---( no one says u have to take this information and use it this is my own experiences whether i live it west virginia or not. this is supposed to be a public forum for useful information; not slandering of each other for their ideas/opinions)

4ABURN
06-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I know this has been said on other posts put make sure your idle is up hight enough high compression and very little flywheel weight are bad together I have mine around 2200 with 45 pilot 165 main lid off FMF pipe and it has never even fan running hot and stall it and it will always start right up (06 er) this bike runs as good as any other honda I have had....I love it. My CRF was like that alittle at first in the trails untill I granked up the idle. might not be it but thought it might help....

06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
turning up the idle helped but not a lot...i go over the quad after every ride, take plastics and all that off and the cdi connections was fine...i have not checked the throttle linkage at the top of the carb since i did the rejet, but it was fine then and the problem seems to be getting worse...

i did cut my green wire, i wonder if since the original poster has the hrc kit with the different cdi, if this could be a problem...also i have changed my leak jet from a stock 70 to a 42...maybe that has something to do with it...i'll gladly put up with that off idle stumble to have this thing start better when hot...

i'd get rid of it, but the wife says that if it goes, i nothing new comes...and i would get my 400ex back from her...this is getting close to being a possibility

hendershot106
06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
you ever try the boyesen quick shot for that stumble instead of changing your leak jet?????? ( i recommend the boyesen for no more than it costs--)

06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
the stumble was fixed with the leak jet...i i find the leak jet to be the cause of the starting issue, then i might try the quickshot. to be honest with you, as bad as the stumble is, it is not bad enough to warrant the $80 price tag of the quickshot

Lonestar_R
06-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Mine is a freakin PITA to start when hot...hell I would start racing but if or when I stall it during a XC race I would be passed by everyone trying to get it started.

I always thought the pilot jet was the problem with the cold starting on the Honda's. I am guessing this has to be the problem with the Hot starting also. I'll have her apart this week and I'm changing the pilot jet back to stock and see if it helps.

I'm ready to ditch this thing and buy a YFZ or a KTM when they are released

LTR450_#67
06-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't know much about the FCRs but I noticed that if the guy points downhill or front-end slanted down he said it would be a pain to get started. So I was thinking that maybe the floats in the carbs are set wrong......

just a thought

Aaron

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 11:56 AM
this is where u all explain your snappy comebacks as to why- works for me and i never replaced my case. it doesnt help anybody if u just say "DONT DO THAT". you have to have some education to say that. the only reason honda info says not to touch the throttle when starting is because of the electric starter clutch kicking back. and when it is on a kick start bike............. why would it make a difference -- u show me the cases of repeated situations where someone blew there case apart and maybe i will believe u. until then i will touch the throttle if i need to to start my 06 450r when it is hot; just as i started my 04 in similar fashion that is still running strong on its third owner. and by the way force i was born in ohio.

furthermore- speedyquad: did u try raising your idle rpm slightly- i also had trouble with mine this winter stalling- i raised the idle speed slightly------ also check your cdi box connections to make sure they are not loose/dirty and they are snapped tightly-- and check your throttle linkage in the top of your carburetor to make sure it isnt coming loose---( no one says u have to take this information and use it this is my own experiences whether i live it west virginia or not. this is supposed to be a public forum for useful information; not slandering of each other for their ideas/opinions)

For those of you living under a rock....

Here is a direct quote from Chad502EX who knows his stuff with these motors on why they crack...

this is caused from lean condition on startup causing the mixture to 'pre-ignite' causing the locking mechanism on the kicker to force its way through the side cover.

Notice where the break starts from high upper corner of the cover where on the backside of the cover where the kickstart stop lever engages...

The issue is not the cover, but more an A/F mixture adjustment in the screw/pilot region.

Lonestar_R
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I could see the floats being set wrong....but I know mine doesn't matter where your at.....it doesn't like to start when its hot...now when its cold I have no problems.

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Here's some links on the cracked cases to get you started....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=297714&highlight=cracked+case

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295253&highlight=cracked+case

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=292173&highlight=cracked+case

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248151&highlight=cracked+case

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243485&highlight=cracked+case

hendershot106
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
For those of you living under a rock....

Here is a direct quote from Chad502EX who knows his stuff with these motors on why they crack...

this is caused from lean condition on startup causing the mixture to 'pre-ignite' causing the locking mechanism on the kicker to force its way through the side cover.

Notice where the break starts from high upper corner of the cover where on the backside of the cover where the kickstart stop lever engages...

The issue is not the cover, but more an A/F mixture adjustment in the screw/pilot region.

as i come out from underneath my "rock" of intelligence; i see your pictures. i also see that your an engineer; one that uses jb weld to repair his "race" bike.

Also, i am led to believe chad502ex- and i see ur knowledge is limited to what u can find with the click of a mouse or the push of a button on the internet.

However; IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE i have owned/raced/abused an 04 and an 06 450r both modified, both started with a little touch of the throttle sometimes. No cracked cases here- nor on any of my racing friends for that matter. With more than 100 plus hours on both bikes im sure i would see this problem if it was indeed as ominent as what u make it "seem". Further, i did TRASH a starter clutch and some idler gears. AND I ALSO checked with honda certified mechanics on starting procedure- I NEVER SAID I PINNED IT WHEN I WAS KICKING THE BIKE OVER. Lastly, as i crawl back under my "rock" ( or should i say mountain since i am a west virginian now) I take my experience, my smile, my knowledge, and mostly my trophies and fully built race bike with me before u can even start your jb welded bike.

no need for response on your part.

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 12:47 PM
as i come out from underneath my "rock" of intelligence; i see your pictures. i also see that your an engineer; one that uses jb weld to repair his "race" bike.

Also, i am led to believe chad502ex- and i see ur knowledge is limited to what u can find with the click of a mouse or the push of a button on the internet.

However; IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE i have owned/raced/abused an 04 and an 06 450r both modified, both started with a little touch of the throttle sometimes. No cracked cases here- nor on any of my racing friends for that matter. With more than 100 plus hours on both bikes im sure i would see this problem if it was indeed as ominent as what u make it "seem". Further, i did TRASH a starter clutch and some idler gears. AND I ALSO checked with honda certified mechanics on starting procedure- I NEVER SAID I PINNED IT WHEN I WAS KICKING THE BIKE OVER. Lastly, as i crawl back under my "rock" ( or should i say mountain since i am a west virginian now) I take my experience, my smile, my knowledge, and mostly my trophies and fully built race bike with me before u can even start your jb welded bike.

no need for response on your part.

hahaha ok thats great:D Just FYI, I put JB weld on my bike as a temp fix, because for some odd reason all of the right side case covers were out of stock everywhere and Honda had them on backorder, I wonder why that would be? hmmmm

I'm glad you haven't experienced any problems thus far with it, I however did, and wouldn't you know, it was the one time someone who didn't follow my starting procedure was riding it. Also mine was not blown apart like the pictures, I had a hairline crack that barely BARELY leaked oil. The JB was a quick fix.

i see ur knowledge is limited to what u can find with the click of a mouse

Thanks for the laugh, I have no reason to prove my intelligence to anyone and/or my knowledge on certain subjects, I come here strictly to gain information and to give it. The cracked cases with the kickstarter I am familiar with, but still do not understand why it is happening, which is why I posted the info from Chad, thanks for your insight though, apparently since this hasn't happened to you YET, it must mean that its ok for everyone to go ahead and do it.

Also since you asked for proof as to why its happening and I obliged, why dont you give us a detailed explanation of what's going on and why it "doesn't" happen. Thanks, I await your response.;)

LTR450_#67
06-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I'll tell you why.....it's that damn sasquatch!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

That could be why some peeps with the E-start are having there one way start clutch going out.....maybe...

Aaron

hendershot106
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
I'll tell you why.....it's that damn sasquatch!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

That could be why some peeps with the E-start are having there one way start clutch going out.....maybe...

Aaron

smart guy----- really!!!!!!!

i agree.

TCracin440ex
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
i had my one way clutch go out in my 450r, i took it to my dealer and they said that i was giving the quad gas while trying to start it (a lie) because i never touch the throttle while starting...they replaced it free of charge under warrenty and aint had a problem since

but i will say on my 450r it runs fine and dont stall out unless its my own fault...when starting i do blip the throttle one time and turn the choke on before i hit the button and she fires right up every time...no matter how long its been sitting...i aint rode mine in 2 months and im betting money i can go out there and do the same thing i just said above and she fires first try!!!

honda8&3
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Huh... It's pretty sweet looking though...LOL:devil:

Dave400ex
06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I have had problems with mine, but after getting the valves adjusted right and the decomp too it now starts great. Your problems sound a lot like mine. If it's not valve train then it must be your carb.

ricks450
06-25-2007, 07:33 PM
hey man your problem is in the carb. if your vavles are out of adjustment then it would be noticed everytime you start it (if there that far out of adjustment). and if there a little out it's not going to affect the starting. your problem is jetting. you have the fcr carb and the only way to get rid of that bogg when you snap the thottle is get the boysen quickshot or white brothers excelerator pump cover 100 bucks. your signs are telling me it is to lean on the low end. go up a size are two on your slow jet to get the bike starting good. (a richer motor starts easier) but not way to rich you can flood it and foul plugs. put your fatory leck jet back in ( start there on that) and get the w/b excelerator pump cover and your problems should be sovled. you should not even need to replace the factory leck jet on the little bit of modding you have done. hope this helps. :)

Rich250RRacer
06-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
I don't know much about the FCRs but I noticed that if the guy points downhill or front-end slanted down he said it would be a pain to get started. So I was thinking that maybe the floats in the carbs are set wrong......

just a thought

Aaron

This is my thinking too, but if the quad is pointed down-hill, the fuel in the bowl is towards the front where the slow jet circuit is. A few have metioned the Boysen Quik Shot, but I have no bog issue at all. In fact, my friend who is having the same problem on his '06 with the HRC kit, took his Boysen off and noticed a slight improvement. I know he went with a few jetting changes as recommended by Laz at GT Thunder, I believe a 50 pilot and 50 leak jet, but still no improvement. It sounds like a carb issue, but the stock '06 (no HRC, just HMF, open box and jet kit) I rode showed none of these symtoms. I really think it's something in the HRC kit.

d3ktrix
06-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
This is my thinking too, but if the quad is pointed down-hill, the fuel in the bowl is towards the front where the slow jet circuit is. A few have metioned the Boysen Quik Shot, but I have no bog issue at all. In fact, my friend who is having the same problem on his '06 with the HRC kit, took his Boysen off and noticed a slight improvement. I know he went with a few jetting changes as recommended by Laz at GT Thunder, I believe a 50 pilot and 50 leak jet, but still no improvement. It sounds like a carb issue, but the stock '06 (no HRC, just HMF, open box and jet kit) I rode showed none of these symtoms. I really think it's something in the HRC kit.

Your friend has an 06 with a 50 pilot in there? If so that can deff cause problems, that is way too big for a 06.

BTW I don't know if u mentioned it before, but what is your jetting?

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Try 165 main, stock pilot, 55 leak jet, and HRC needle in the 3rd clip.

ricks450
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
did the bike do this before you put the HRC kit in or did it start after? if it started after you put the HRC kit in then its not the float level.

Rich250RRacer
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Your friend has an 06 with a 50 pilot in there? If so that can deff cause problems, that is way too big for a 06.

BTW I don't know if u mentioned it before, but what is your jetting?

Not to doubt your knowledge, but Lazarus has quite a bit of experience with these things. The 50 pilot and 50 leak jet were his recommendation to solve the problem, which he's had some success with, just not with this one. The problem on the '06 was there even before the that jetting change. My quad has the HRC jets and needle in it, no other jetting changes.

Rich250RRacer
06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ricks450
did the bike do this before you put the HRC kit in or did it start after? if it started after you put the HRC kit in then its not the float level.

I never rode it prior to putting the kit in. My friend didn't start having his problem until the HRC kit was installed. That's why I'm thinking it's not a float level problem. Maybe not a carb issue at all.

d3ktrix
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Not to doubt your knowledge, but Lazarus has quite a bit of experience with these things. The 50 pilot and 50 leak jet were his recommendation to solve the problem, which he's had some success with, just not with this one. The problem on the '06 was there even before the that jetting change. My quad has the HRC jets and needle in it, no other jetting changes.

The 50 leak jet is good, but for an 06-07 a 50 pilot is way too big.
And could cause the problems u are explaining.
Put the stock pilot in and see how it runs.

A lot of people use 50's in 04-05 bikes so laz might of just been thinking about that while he was talking to u.
Easy to confuse.

Its worth a shot.

ricks450
06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
one more thing you cant go off of what jets all these guys are running unless there local because the air temp, the sea level your at, biometric pressure theres alot that effects what jets you need to run. local guys that have the same set up can put you close but still may need a differant jet. no two of the same motors produce the same power.

d3ktrix
06-25-2007, 10:03 PM
one more thing you cant go off of what jets all these guys are running unless there local because the air temp, the sea level your at, biometric pressure theres alot that effects what jets you need to run. local guys that have the same set up can put you close but still may need a differant jet. no two of the same motors produce the same power.

Even if he was on the beach at 0 elevation (where u would need the richest jetting) a 50 pilot would still be too rich for an 06-07 carb.

Rich250RRacer
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
The 50 leak jet is good, but for an 06-07 a 50 pilot is way too big.
And could cause the problems u are explaining.
Put the stock pilot in and see how it runs.

A lot of people use 50's in 04-05 bikes so laz might of just been thinking about that while he was talking to u.
Easy to confuse.

Its worth a shot.

My quad HAS the stock pilot, and I have the problem too. My friend and I ride and race together, we look like two idiots kicking these f*cking things.

ricks450
06-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Even if he was on the beach at 0 elevation (where u would need the richest jetting) a 50 pilot would still be too rich for an 06-07 carb. dont take this wrong but i never one time said you were wrong about that 50 jet and never one time did i tell him to put that 50 jet or any other specific size jet in it. if the bike is hard to start and stalling out then it is either way to lean or way to rich. a richer motor starts easier then a lean motor (but you can go to rich) but that not his problem because hes not fouling his plug as soon as he start the bike, if was it wouldnt start back up until he puts a new plug in. so i told him to try one or two sizes bigger on the slow jet. if this is even the problem. but i can almost guarantee that it is the problem from what he is explaining. because his probelm is on the low end so he is still in the slow jet circuit off the carb.

eganracing
06-26-2007, 12:58 AM
So what gear are you guys trying to start your quads in? I know it sounds weird but mine will only start in neutrul. Has anyone else experienced this?

billyboy
06-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Man rich I hate to hear you having so many problems with the new machine. That thing looks killer. And I have seen some of deerchoppers coverage of you racing. I noticed that you went old school on them with the other R, is that becuase of the issues here?

Also thanks for the link. Deerchopper is going to help me out with it, so I think I am going to keep her. He is going to weld her up for me as soon as I get her toen down... Going to invest in the BARE gusset kit and see how that goes as well...

06-26-2007, 06:38 AM
neutral def. increases the chances of it starting...i am going to change the leak jet today, but i probably won't get to try it out until the 4th of july. i have already gone a up a few sizes on the pilot, i think i went to a 42 because the 45 seemed too rich for the pilot...

if the leak jet is the problem, i'll deal with the off idle bog...unless it is too bad...i don't remember how bad it was

06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
hendershot106, there is no shame in admitting you were wrong. I realize its been "your" experience that you've never cracked a case. But, please take a little more time in these forums, and do some reading. Because, this issue has been asked/discussed many, many times. And, you're clearly giving this guy "dangerous" advice. I check out the forums almost every work day at lunch. And, have been doing so for a couple years now. You obviously had no clue that touching the throttle during start up, had the potential to cause major problems.

TheNewn
06-28-2007, 03:10 AM
We should probably just cut this short before Hendershot looks like more of an oversensitive *** than he already does :rolleyes:

Everyone takes things so personally on here, god knows why.

quadgod440ex
06-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Ya know i was deffinatly thinking of trading in my 05 for an 07 but after hearing all the problems i dont think i can do it. My 05 starts first kick weather its 20 below or its 120 degrees out . Also starts weather its the first kick in the morning or first kick after a 3 hour gncc. Im sorry to hear everyone is having issues with the 06-07 right about now im gonna stay with my bike. Good luck guys!

parkers30
06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
The fact that the problem spurred up right after the HRC kick install and has not been fixed with jetting changed would indicate a valvetrain adjustment problem. Just something else to check over thoroughly...

ricks450
06-29-2007, 05:07 PM
had any luck yet man?

TRX450RACER174
06-29-2007, 06:01 PM
My ride always starts first pop of the switch, my mods a listed in my sig, sorry to see you guys having so many probs but mine has been great and never given me any probs and think most of it is just tuning issues, don't give up after you figure it out it will run great. By the way i live in Cali and ride in 60deg to 120deg weather and the only thing i touch is my a/f needle from below sea level at Glamis to 4500 ft in the desert it runs great.

spincr4hire
08-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Mine starts first kick or push of the button when its cold. After the motor gets hot, forget the electric start. Kicking it takes 5-10 kicks.
48 Pilot, 160 Main, HMF Needle (3rd clip), HRC lid, motor is stock w/ HMF slip-on. Scotts T-handle air-mix screw all the way in. Stock leak jet also.
Valves and decompression just adjusted.

Is this a too lean leak jet problem?

Scro
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
Mine starts first kick or push of the button when its cold. After the motor gets hot, forget the electric start. Kicking it takes 5-10 kicks.
48 Pilot, 160 Main, HMF Needle (3rd clip), HRC lid, motor is stock w/ HMF slip-on. Scotts T-handle air-mix screw all the way in. Stock leak jet also.
Valves and decompression just adjusted.

Is this a too lean leak jet problem?

I know what you mean. I have an 04-05 with the Baldwin FCR, and the hotstart recently froze up. The thing would not hardly crank once it was hot without the hotstart...10-15 kicks minimum. I got the plunger unstuck, and it now cranks first kick when hot.

I know you can't add hotstart to a carb, but that's what does the trick.

fatkid400
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Try dropping 1 tooth off the front sprocket.Mine did the same thing,dropped 1 tooth and its really hard to stall out then.Befor you go spending a crap load of money on somthingelse try this 1st.

450rJam
08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
good advice ^^

and cheap mod

spincr4hire
08-01-2007, 05:42 PM
thats not going to solve the hot starting issue.

Dave400ex
08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
The only help for hot starting is to have the hot start. My kicker starts great when hot with the hot start....

Rich250RRacer
08-01-2007, 08:38 PM
had any luck yet man?

Mine has been sitting in the corner of the garage for over a month, I don't even want to look at. My buddy took his to Laz at GT Thunder, so if he figures out what is wrong, I'll make the same changes to mine. If he can't get it straightened out, I might just put it up for sale, with break-in time it has no more than 5-6 hours on it. I've got plenty of others to ride, so I really won't miss it.

Lonestar_R
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
I will say with mine I put the stock pilot jet back in it and it has started better hot. I had a 48 pilot in it and now have the 42 in it. It is harder to start when cold now but I can live with that.

spincr4hire
08-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
I will say with mine I put the stock pilot jet back in it and it has started better hot. I had a 48 pilot in it and now have the 42 in it. It is harder to start when cold now but I can live with that.

I will try that, thanks

Chino886
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Are you guys that are having problems starting your bikes setting the decomp mechanism per manual or are you using a compression tester?

try setting it between 120-140 PSI depending on what comp piston you are running........it has helped many others.

08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
i don't think it is the stock pilot that fixed lonestar's and mine... i had the stock pilot in when i was having problems...we bother leaned out our air fuel screw a little...but then again, i did drop my pilot from a 42 to a 40...i think...i can't remember now...but the big change was the turn of the air fuel screw...it starts up pretty easily now...

i haven't touched my decomp yet...it is still where it came from when i picked it up at the dealers

Lonestar_R
08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Speedy I did not lean out my air fuel screw. it is in the exact spot it was when I had the 48 pilot jet in.

08-02-2007, 04:31 PM
oh, i thought you did...i looked and i still have the stock pilot in...hmmm...the problem is that we were too rich then...i was just too rich on my a/f screw then...and you on your pilot...

i know mine isn't perfect yet...but it is a heck of a lot better...

spincr4hire
08-03-2007, 06:16 AM
well. I purchased the Boyesen quickshot 2 and got it installed last night. I also dropped from a 160 main to a 155 (plug was telling me I was a tad rich), and dropped my pilot from a 48 to a 42. The Boyesen also came with a tool (shim) to check the accelerator pump timing screw. Mine was WAY off, almost 2 turns too far in. I'm hoping that was causing some of my starting problems.

Hopefully get to ride this weekend and see if there is any improvement.

this article (even though for a CRF) was pretty helpful:

http://crfsonly.com/reviews/apc/apc.php

Lonestar_R
08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Thats a good article but why didn't they put it on a bike that had the problem...thats what the Quickshot is supposedly for.

I was told by a Honda Mechanic htat the FCR that is on our bikes is junk. ANd I am begining to believe it. When you change a jet it effects everything not just one part. He told me to throw it out and got back to a 04/05 carb. I would like to try it and see how it runs

Chino886
08-03-2007, 10:25 AM

I was told by a Honda Mechanic htat the FCR that is on our bikes is junk. ANd I am begining to believe it. When you change a jet it effects everything not just one part. He told me to throw it out and got back to a 04/05 carb. I would like to try it and see how it runs

I will disagree with your Honda mechanic 200% and if you do decide to trade out your "junk" FCR carb for a 04/05 carb, I will trade you one and I'll pay your shipping.

The FCR is harder to get tuned in, but once it is, you will love it.

Lonestar_R
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
well Chino I didn't say I was going to sell it or trade it but I said I would like to try it.....It seems to me no one has any answers to any of the problems any of us are having......everyone has tried something different and none of it works

Chino886
08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
well Chino I didn't say I was going to sell it or trade it but I said I would like to try it.....It seems to me no one has any answers to any of the problems any of us are having......everyone has tried something different and none of it works

Trust me brother, I know first hand that it is frustrating, I have only put 7 hrs on my bike total, in that time I seized a crank, had starting issues, what not. I tore it down to the frame, put it all back together. I checked, rechecked, adjusted the valves, decomp, jets and she starts like a charm now. I even have a bigger than normal FCR.

I would start out by making sure your valves are dead on! If they are not fully opened or closed when they are supposed to be, the perfect jetting won't matter. ONce you do that you can mess with the jetting.

Like I said, this is how I tackled my problems.

I have a Hi comp piston, HRC cam, P & P, taper bored carb, and I can start my bike without choke on 1st kick cold. when its hot, it will start first or second kick.

Dave400ex
08-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Lonestar, Spinc, etc I don't believe your problems are with the carb. I too tried everything I could to get it to start better, but the electric start just doesn't. Mine runs UNBELIEVEABLE now that I have put all the parts on my 07 kicker and got it dialed. With the hot start it fires right up. The e-start just doesn't start for nothing...

spincr4hire
08-06-2007, 06:37 AM
rode it over the weekend. The restarting issue has definitely improved. 1-2 seconds vs. the 15-30 seconds before.

Rich250RRacer
08-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Mine has been sitting in the corner of the garage for over a month, I don't even want to look at. My buddy took his to Laz at GT Thunder, so if he figures out what is wrong, I'll make the same changes to mine. If he can't get it straightened out, I might just put it up for sale, with break-in time it has no more than 5-6 hours on it. I've got plenty of others to ride, so I really won't miss it.

After three weeks with my friend's '06, Laz couldn't find one major cause for the stalling and restarting issue. He did find a few minor things that may help, but not guaranteed. He dropped the pilot from a 50 to a 48 (mine still has the stock 42 so I don't think too big on the pilot is the issue), he suggested running the lightest weight oil possible in the transmission (posibly 5w30), and he said the idle was set too low. This my help the restarting, but aside from raising the idle, couldn't really nail down the stalling issue on both quads.

pro-rider46
08-12-2007, 12:42 AM
sounds like an elictrical problem. like isnt there a swith on the cluctch lever, can that do it.

450rJam
08-12-2007, 06:14 AM
if its starting in 1-2 seconds I would say your good
most of that was prob. fixed with the 42 pilot

have to start another post "I LOVE this quad"

Rich250RRacer
08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
if its starting in 1-2 seconds I would say your good
most of that was prob. fixed with the 42 pilot

have to start another post "I LOVE this quad"

It's a kicker, and I STILL hate it! It's never had anything but the 42 pilot in it.

sandmanblue
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
After three weeks with my friend's '06, Laz couldn't find one major cause for the stalling and restarting issue. He did find a few minor things that may help, but not guaranteed. He dropped the pilot from a 50 to a 48 (mine still has the stock 42 so I don't think too big on the pilot is the issue), he suggested running the lightest weight oil possible in the transmission (posibly 5w30), and he said the idle was set too low. This my help the restarting, but aside from raising the idle, couldn't really nail down the stalling issue on both quads.

Here's a couple things to try - since it hasn't come up in this thread... I'm going to bet that when the motor dies, you try to "save it" from stalling by hitting the throttle... But it dies anyway AND you just pumped some raw fuel into the intake. So, now it's basically flooded. This makes sense if you saw better results with a leaner pilot...

What you need to do is OPEN the throttle all the way and kick it a few times. If you're afraid of a kickback, then turn the ignition off and kick it about 2 - 4 times. Then using no throttle, and the ignition on, I bet it starts right up.

This motor needs a 45 - 48 pilot (hence Laz's recommendations).

Setting the idle higher prevents the motor from stalling in the first place.

BTW - a 155 main is way too fricken lean there bud. Forget your plug reading skills and get a 165 back in it - this is for a HRC kit with HRC exhaust. Don't believe me? Get it on a dyno and set the jetting that way....

fireburns99
08-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Should have just stuck with the 250R. :)

Rich250RRacer
08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by fireburns99
Should have just stuck with the 250R. :)

My plan was to retire the 250R's and just trail ride them. I was going to use my '04 and the '07 to race, but since I've had these problems, the 250R has been going out regularly. Maybe I SHOULD just stick with it, I've had six wins this year, five of them on the 250R.

fireburns99
08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
They're are great machines and built like tanks. And best of all start first kick everytime! :)

Lonestar_R
08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
I hear ya on the 250R...I should of kept my LSR Framed R....I was faster on it anyway.......My 450 is up For Sale.....