PDA

View Full Version : Oil capacity with oil cooler?

ATKnewbie
06-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I have just purchased a Baja Storm 125 and am changing the oil for the first time.
The manual states that it should hold approximately 900ml of oil which is just short of a quart.
After fully draining the oil I have put in almost a quart of oil and the oil is darn near coming out of the case it is so over full?
Is it possible that the 900ml includes the oil cooler and when I drained the oil it did not drain out of the cooler?
Unfortunately I drained the oil into an already partially full container, so I cannot compare the quantity that came out with what I need to put in.
Anyone out there change the oil in their Baja Storm yet?

On a separate note, the motor has rubber spacers in the fins of the head. I am assuming that these are for shipment and should be removed???

CEOR
07-01-2007, 09:46 AM
First of all dont remove the rubber dampners on your cooling fins.
They are there to keep the fins from cracking (vibration).
They are made from a high temperature durometer rubber and will not be affected by heat. They are there for a reason!

Second, 900ml of oil is the suggested amount of oil for the engine.
Try changing the oil after riding the bike for awhile, this will heat up the oil, and will be easier to drain.
Also, check oil level while engine is hot, right after you shut it down. Not running! This will allow the oil cooler to still be full.

There are a few aftermarket bolt-ons available, you might consider to help you out.

1. Cyclinder head breather kit.
2. Crank case recovery canister (tank).

ATKnewbie
07-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks.

Does anyone on this forum sell these as I would rather support the people on this forum than a regular internet retailer?

JBOYZ
07-24-2007, 09:35 AM
We have just recently got into selling the Xtremes

618-758-3500

CEOR
07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
It took me awhile to dig up the parts catalog for the parts we utilized.

Check out-www.classichondausa.com

Oil catch tank part number: P144
"trick" carbon fiber tank with hoses, fittings and brackets

Filter for oil catch tank part number: P548
Looks like small K&N style

The catalog I ordered from is old, so I'm not sure if the part numbers are going to be correct? But the discriptions should be.

Best of luck with your project!

WMW-F4R
08-10-2007, 11:44 PM
most likely the baja is using the wrong manual for the engine, it is not an xtreme engine, the 125 lower end on a baja is similiar to the lower end on an xtreme 90. use the dip stick to determine your oil level, it is probably closer to 700cc +/-