PDA

View Full Version : got my stuff from marcum?

YZROOSTINYA
10-21-2002, 11:00 AM
:mad:

I am not really mad just wtf

I got the 416 kit from him.

i figured a "kit" would also include the o-ring the goes around the cylinder base and the valve cover gasket. the top end kit only included the base gasket, head gasket, header gaskets, valve seals, and timing chain tensioner gasket, why wouldn't it include the other o ring and valve cover, or at least throw it in and charge for it. thank god the dealer had em in stock or i would have been out another week, plus i didnt get my 5% discount

also the gasket kit says xr400, ex400 86mm, my piston is 87mm, will this matter, the 406cc is 86 mm??

it is cometic gaskets

Castor-426ex
10-21-2002, 11:07 AM
call Terry and ask him about it..hes a good guy and will treat you right

YZROOSTINYA
10-21-2002, 11:15 AM
i spoke with him before i got my parts and he was cool, just wasn't expecting not to get 2 of the main gaskets, you figure they would drop the tensioner gasket or header gasket before the base oring and valve cover, **** i even got the valve cap o rings, and i have never replaced them and have had no leaks. i will this time since they are there.

i just figure he would mention sumpin like that. the picture doesnt show them on his site, but i didn't know that the 400ex had a base o-ring until i saw it in the manual

Castor-426ex
10-21-2002, 11:16 AM
which 416 kit did you get ? cam or no cam..and how much did you pay just curious...may be taking that route soon

YZROOSTINYA
10-21-2002, 11:20 AM
he only offers the je 10.8:1 and i went with the stage2 hot cam(most aggressive)

150 plus tax for marcums, did bore at local shop. i also had to pay for the base o -ring and valve cover gasket from my dealer which was an addtional 35$

ordered the cam directly from hotcam, 145 including shipping, had it in 4 days

BadA$$440
10-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Did you even talk to Marcums about this? He will take care of u. And did u mention that you were an EXriders? if not then thats why u didnt get the discount.

quadman21
10-21-2002, 12:21 PM
I have never bought a head gasket "kit" that had the o-ring and head cover gasket in it. The head gasket cover is like $25 just by itself. I have re-used my headcover gasket a few times with no trouble. But you should replace it after just a couple of times having it off. In any case, the head gasket kits do not come with those two items.

10-21-2002, 02:42 PM
my kit was missing these two things also, so I called Terry - The o-ring at the base, isn't needed according to him. I never removed mine, so I just left the old one in there. Also the valve cover gasket (metal) is reuseable. Like quadman21 said, I would replace it after you have taken it on and off several times.

YZROOSTINYA
10-22-2002, 05:08 AM
i spoke with him once over the phone and twice via email before i got the parts, 2 times he was aware of the fact that i was referred to hi, by exriders.

i replaced the o-ring

the valve cover gasket is fiber not metal, and so was the new one i bought. from honda. the only metal gasket that was on my quad was the gasket between the cylinder and head, which was stock honda. the new cometic is fiber with a metal ring

skemp
10-23-2002, 10:02 PM
The valve cover gasket is reusable, because it is metal (not saying you aren't right, but I have never seen one that wasn't. Maybe they switched to fiber...? idk) I have reused mine twice, but now have a new one since I bought a Honda gasket set. Another note, I very highly dislike the Cometic gaskets offered for the 400EX, especially the head gasket. It is poor quality, and it has to be retorqued since it is fiber. I blew mine even after retorquing it with dinky 10.8:1 comp. The Honda gasket set is very impressive, and inexpensive considering how much you get. Every o-ring and gasket you need (including the valve cover). The head gasket is metal, and doesn't need to be retorqued. I paid $27 for it, and got more than the Cometic set. Oh yeah, that base o-ring isn't really needed. I put a new one in since I got one, but didn't when I originally got my piston kit.

BadA$$440
10-24-2002, 06:13 AM
where did u get the honda set, and do they make them for 440 cc's. I got the Cometic with the 440 kit i bought an severa people told me i wll blow head gaskets

skemp
10-24-2002, 09:32 PM
ServiceHonda.com , awesome prices on OEM parts.

I don't know if the gasket would work out with the 440. You would have to have a gasket and measure it to make sure there is about a tenth of space around the bore. Maybe call up an engine builder to see what they have to say... Sorry I can't help you there, my gasket is stuck between the cylinder and head at the moment... :p