PDA

View Full Version : Whats it worth?

ohsobad_chevy
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
What would be a good asking price for this quad. It is a 2004 400ex with very low hours, HMF full system, holeshot HD's, UNI air filter and a seperate set of paddle tires mounted on douglas .160's.
I am thinking about buying a 450 and selling my 400ex and was just curious what it would be worth. Any help is appriciated.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00103.jpg

gcart2
06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
3 grand

casey_lamm
06-24-2007, 09:06 PM
A dealer locally was selling one with the same mods for 3600 and he was firm on that price. 04 low hours. Tires on it were stock but new.

Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
What would be a good asking price for this quad. It is a 2004 400ex with very low hours, HMF full system, holeshot HD's, UNI air filter and a seperate set of paddle tires mounted on douglas .160's.
I am thinking about buying a 450 and selling my 400ex and was just curious what it would be worth. Any help is appriciated.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00103.jpg

TYayo420
06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
3g's tops

gncc025
06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
im pretty sure u can get 3 grand out of it but u could try pricing it a few hundred dollars more, like 3300 or so and see if that RIGHT person comes along.

TYayo420
06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
well idk abt more then 3, around here there cheap everyone has them. mostly all you got is a full system and a 13 dollar air filter, and a extra set of tires, no nerfs, stock bumper, no graphics or seat cover its pretty lame jane not making fun of it, but theres not much into it, so its not like ppl will flock over it ya know?

GPracer2500
06-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Depends on what you like I guess. I woundn't want nerfs, graphics, or a seat cover. To me those don't add any value. Graphics and seat covers may actually reduce the value for many buyers. Personally, I don't like used machines that have been tinkered with too much or have too many bolt-ons.

Nice, clean, mostly stock bikes with a few sensible mods tend to hold their value the best in my experience.

TYayo420
06-24-2007, 11:53 PM
well i dont see how any all stock wheeler can hold more value then one with graphics, levers, nerfs and bumper and other bolt ons at all, that doesnt make sence lol. nerfs are a must you must not like your ankles.

GPracer2500
06-25-2007, 02:51 AM
I didn't say all stock. I said: nice, clean, mostly stock bikes with a few sensible mods (such as ohsobad_chevy's).

My problem with seat covers and graphic kits (as they concern resale value) is cosmetics are a personal thing. What you like may not be what someone else likes. The worst are the bikes where folks go overboard sticking on every sticker they can get their hands on. And even if a potential buyer does like what you've chosen, the small increase in price it may be worth to them isn't worth the "tougher to sell" factor when it comes to everyone else. Like I said, that's my opinion based on my experiences in buying and selling a fair number of motorcycles and ATVs.

As far as bolt-ons: if they're wisely chosen then sure, they can increase resale value. But it sure seems like many of the ones I see on 400EXs are NOT the ones I would choose.

My point is that when it comes to resale value, it's not always about how much "stuff" is on there. As far as I'm concerned, a big part of resale value is how much universal appeal a machine has. The more personalized a machine is the harder it is to find a buyer that values the same things. It's hard to sperate what would add value to you from what "average 400EX buyer" would like. There's lots of folks who like stock. Some poeple look for stock because it often says: this ATV was owned my a mature rider that had no pretense of being "boy-racer". Obviously, that's a generalization.

BTW, about nerf bars: for what I would do with a 400EX, I don't need or want nerfs. Heal guards are fine.

TYayo420
06-25-2007, 08:42 AM
well i guess 90% of riders on here are imature boy races lol lots of ppl do engine mods. idc tho whatever your to poiny to keep this topic going with.

GPracer2500
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry about the boy-racer comment. The last thing I'm trying to do is alienate anybody or come across as anti-modifications. I'm just reacting to the notion that a graphics kit and seat cover turn "lame jane" into "people flocking over it".

tar
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Looks very clean..around here I bet you could get about 3500-3700 if you get the right buyer!

blasterandy
06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by tar
Looks very clean..around here I bet you could get about 3500-3700 if you get the right buyer!
I dunno, prices tend to change based on the location of they bike, mods mostly make it easier to sell not increase the price and the only ones to do that would prolly be nerfs or an exhaust. You will never get the money you put into a quad back out of it.

ohsobad_chevy
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies, fellas. I bought the quad for something to ride until I wanted to buy a 450. I would have moded it a lot more, but I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into it that I could be spending on my 450.
BTW: I paid $4000 for that quad, off the showroom floor, right when the 05's were coming out. ;)

casey_lamm
06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
good deal, i just got my 07 for 4250 from a guy that had it a few mths.

so at least when you sell you wont be out too much.

Just wanted to make sure of 1 thing. I have a friend that sold his 400ex for a 450r. He/we did mainly trail riding and he came to realize how much he missed the 400ex. I think mainly because the trails we rode were old logging trails. He is actually now debating trading it in when the 08's come out..

Food for thought.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. I bought the quad for something to ride until I wanted to buy a 450. I would have moded it a lot more, but I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into it that I could be spending on my 450.
BTW: I paid $4000 for that quad, off the showroom floor, right when the 05's were coming out. ;)

ohsobad_chevy
06-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
good deal, i just got my 07 for 4250 from a guy that had it a few mths.

so at least when you sell you wont be out too much.

Just wanted to make sure of 1 thing. I have a friend that sold his 400ex for a 450r. He/we did mainly trail riding and he came to realize how much he missed the 400ex. I think mainly because the trails we rode were old logging trails. He is actually now debating trading it in when the 08's come out..

Food for thought.

The majority of my riding is in the dunes, so the 450 is definately a better choice for me. We ride the trails a lot, but I am riding my 400 beyond its limits and it is time for a 450.
Even with the lighter flywheel on the 450's, you can still gear them down so that they become better trail quads. Just thought I would throw that out there. ;)

casey_lamm
06-27-2007, 07:51 PM
thats true. I didn't really think about that.. Might keep that in mind.

The majority of my riding is in the dunes, so the 450 is definately a better choice for me. We ride the trails a lot, but I am riding my 400 beyond its limits and it is time for a 450.
Even with the lighter flywheel on the 450's, you can still gear them down so that they become better trail quads. Just thought I would throw that out there. ;)

250x_kyle
06-27-2007, 08:48 PM
sry to say it but yeah only around 3k. if your from central pa where were u at that there was sand?

casey_lamm
06-27-2007, 09:01 PM
i was replying to the post right above mine. Im not the one selling or riding the dunes :)

Originally posted by 250x_kyle
sry to say it but yeah only around 3k. if your from central pa where were u at that there was sand?

ohsobad_chevy
06-30-2007, 09:08 AM
I am, I ride the dunes here in Oklahoma. There is about 1,800 acres of sand dunes at little Sahara, nothing huge, but a hell of a time!!!

Peace...