PDA

View Full Version : truck exhaust question

Sjorge450R
06-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey i got a 87 4wd 3.9 dakota and i wanna throw a pipe on there. im not really looking for llooks, just something to make it sound better. I am looking at the 40 series flows but i have a question. it looks like my muffler thats on there now is welded to the head pipe and the tail pipe? Do they mufflers slip into those pipes and then youhave to seal weld them because i looked at my moms 200 F-150 and hers is the same.

Also, the dual exhaust kits are just for looks right? I will still get the same sound from a single right?

Steve

Blue250X
06-23-2007, 07:06 PM
This is just my personal opinion, but a piped V6 doesn't really sound good, I have a '93 Chevy 4.3 V6 and the guy before me put a cherry bomb on it, and I personally don't like the sound....thats just me

underpowered
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
This is just my personal opinion, but a piped V6 doesn't really sound good, I have a '93 Chevy 4.3 V6 and the guy before me put a cherry bomb on it, and I personally don't like the sound....thats just me

exactly. i have heard very few good sounding 6 cylinders. a 6 is hard to get to sound good.

yes muffles must be welded, or they ban be clamped but clamps will rust off in a relatively short time. welding is teh best way to go.

and no, duals will have a different tone than a single. duals are more than just looks.

a flow 40 may sound OK, but not good.

Sjorge450R
06-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
exactly. i have heard very few good sounding 6 cylinders. a 6 is hard to get to sound good.

yes muffles must be welded, or they ban be clamped but clamps will rust off in a relatively short time. welding is teh best way to go.

and no, duals will have a different tone than a single. duals are more than just looks.

a flow 40 may sound OK, but not good.

see i know what you guys are saying with the pipped V6's because iknow quite a few kids with piped S-10's and theres is like stock sounding. Then i also know some other kids with Dakotas and those sound 100x's better.

TeamOMatic69
06-24-2007, 08:17 AM
i was just gonna say, i heard a **** load of dakotas where i live with dual exhaust or single and they sound really nice.

Ghost-Rider
06-24-2007, 08:35 AM
I wouldnt do it.Most piped V6's iv seen sound to raspy.But if you do it i wouldnt go any bigger than 2.5" pipe.And duals are different than single.

Seano300ex
07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Steve you should def put a flowmaster 40 series on ur truck, my friend austin has a 94 chevy 1500 w/ a 4.3 v6 and it has that exhaust system with dual pipes. I think it sounds alright for a v6, ur choice tho!

Sjorge450R
07-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I wouldnt do it.Most piped V6's iv seen sound to raspy.But if you do it i wouldnt go any bigger than 2.5" pipe.And duals are different than single.

i will prob keep stock size pipe, just so i dont have to custom make stuff. i want it to be a simple as possible. I will prob just bend a new tail pipe so it comes out towards the rear bumper so i can put a tip on there.