PDA

View Full Version : Camber is way off on my z400...but its not ajustble, what do I do???

honda6490
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
The camber is quite a bit off on my z400, no its not the toe in or toe out affecting it its just off. Im guessing something got tweaked or something. The top of the tire is angled in a few degrees more than it should. Whats the best way to fix this being that the z400s a arms are not ajustable. I was thinking about bending the top a arm just a hair flatter but would this compromise its durability? Any help is appreciated thanks a lot.

Zach

fasterz69
06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
something is probably bent if its like that maybe the hub or spindle or maybe even the a-arms but check them and see

drzoo2
06-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I would bet your spindle is bent. Take the tire off and check the distance of the brake rotor to knuckle. It should be equidistant all the way around. If it's a camber then the change will be noticeable on the top and bottom of the knuckle.

honda6490
06-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I thought it might be the spindle as well, I took the tire off and its the whole assembly that is cambered in so while the spindle might be bent as well, I would think that the problem would lie in the a-arms. Me and my friends have looked at them and measure a lot and they seem fine though and the chassis and everything looks fine.

400exrider707
06-25-2007, 06:25 AM
When we had a Z400 we bent numerous spindles on them.... it was quite common on our machine, we actually started bringing an extra set of spindles to the races with us....

honda6490
06-25-2007, 06:46 AM
I guess I will try replacing the spindle first off. Thanks for the help guys. Oh yea how exactly do they come out I had the tire and everything off and tried to tap them out with a hammer, do they just press or hammer or or is there something Im doing wrong. Thanks a lot for the help guys,

Zach

drzoo2
06-25-2007, 07:10 AM
You can press them out with a vise. There not too tight. I bought a set of LSR spindles and they went in real tight. I had to use a press to get them in. If you find stock spindles then a vice will do the trick. You can't buy just a stock spindle without the knuckle. You either have to find a used spindle or buy the LSR's

z

fasterz69
06-26-2007, 06:20 PM
yea its probably the spindle so check it out i did that on my blaster and it was the spindle

400exrider707
06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by drzoo2
You can press them out with a vise. There not too tight. I bought a set of LSR spindles and they went in real tight. I had to use a press to get them in. If you find stock spindles then a vice will do the trick. You can't buy just a stock spindle without the knuckle. You either have to find a used spindle or buy the LSR's

z

Not to be rude but from the sounds of it you dont know what the spindle is. When did LSR start making spindles? You might have LSR hubs. You cant buy the spindle without the knuckle? They are the same thing. You can buy hubs and spindles separately.

drzoo2
06-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Not to be rude but from the sounds of it you dont know what the spindle is. When did LSR start making spindles? You might have LSR hubs. You cant buy the spindle without the knuckle? They are the same thing. You can buy hubs and spindles separately.

You can't buy a spindle from Suzuki without buying the whole knuckle and spindle assembly. As for LSR and spindles, I have two. I replaced my bent spindles with these......

http://www.lsracing.com/img/Thumb296.jpg

here's the LSR page. About half way down.

Not to be rude but check your facts.

http://www.lsracing.com/suzuki-z400-kawasaki-kfx400.htm

z

honda6490
06-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by drzoo2
You can't buy a spindle from Suzuki without buying the whole knuckle and spindle assembly. As for LSR and spindles, I have two. I replaced my bent spindles with these......

http://www.lsracing.com/img/Thumb296.jpg

here's the LSR page. About half way down.

Not to be rude but check your facts.

http://www.lsracing.com/suzuki-z400-kawasaki-kfx400.htm

z
haha yea thanks for the link, now I dont feel as dumb as the other guy lol^^^

Flynbryan19
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
If its not your spindle, then you have something bent frame wise. Could be an a-arm, or the frame. I would try the spindles first as its the easiest/cheapest way to fix it. I bent my spindle about a year ago and used these to fix it as well. ;)

drzoo2
06-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Like I said. If it's the spindle when you pull your wheel, the rotor will be closer to the knuckle in the direction of the bend. If it's parallel with the knuckle all the way around it isn't the spindle. When I bent my left one I noticed the camber was off and my brake lever would almost squeeze to the bar. This was because the bend was pushing the hub and rotor into the caliper. I managed to tweak it back with a bar good enough till I got replacement spindles from LSR. The LSR's were an ever so slight larger and pressed in like a beast.

z

honda6490
06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I took the tires off and yes the rotor is closer to the dust guard/and assembly at the top, but not a ton. The knuckel looks cambered in as well which indicates to me that either the aarms, ball joint rods, or chassis is tweaked just a bit. Im going to replace the spindle and see how much that helps though. Appreciate the help.

Zach