PDA

View Full Version : Dont know which to get E-start or kick

300exguy125
06-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I am going out and buyin a 2008 450r or er but i am having trouble onn which type to buy ,a kick or elctric
i have heard of all the recalls for the starters and i heard about the kick cracking the case but also i want to know about power diference. on offroad.com they reviewed 2 06s and one was kick and the other electric start this guy was sayin once he got on the kick it felt lighter and revved quicker. he said this was because the elctric start has to retard the spark so that it wouldnt have problems starting Im really not sure if its a big difference but if any one has an opion ill listen
thanks
mark

73watermutt
06-23-2007, 11:48 AM
I would get the kick start.

justin41414
06-23-2007, 03:08 PM
yea id get the kick start i had a z400 with e start and hated it had so many problems with it but yea some guys kickers bump back and crack there cases everytime it deos it to me wich is not much i look around the kicker and hasnt done anything yet so im guessing its a small chance the crack the cases....

300ex mxracer
06-23-2007, 07:38 PM
id go with the kickstart just for the reliability issues i have heard of with the e-start. as for the power difference i dont think you would be able to tell the difference.

CHEVYZ
06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Definately get a kick!

Barrymaxx
06-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Ive ridden a kick 450r for a day. All I can say is pain in the arse. Nothing like kicking over a 250r or a banshee.

But I think I would still go for the kick. Electric start just always causes problems it seems like. First the battery dies, the starter problems, then bad solenoid, loose conncetions.. etc.

oldracer
06-24-2007, 06:15 AM
get the electric and for 500.00 add the kicker.
best of both worlds!

KrazyKeith
06-24-2007, 07:02 AM
IVe had problems w/ my electric start but would still buy another ER w/out worry. Honda is good w/ their customers and if you have a problem which I dont think you will, they will stand by it and fix it. Now they updated the starter and there should not be as many cases of failure. If a kickstart model is available and you wanna kick your quad to start it, buy one. If you would rather push a button, buy the elec. I dont beleive that the kicker revs faster or has any more power, that cant be true someone correct me if Im wrong. I was set on buyin the kicker parts for my 06 but I havent had the problems I had when I first got it. The only real reason for the problems is ppl pushin the throttle while tryin to start it. ( I did it) Get the idle set right and pump the gas a couple times mine fires right up hot or cold.

lumi
06-24-2007, 07:25 AM
the main problem with the starters was kickback...

new owners mostly 06, wer giving gas during cranking the motor over and that created kickback which ate up the starter...

now wouldnt u think there was something in the motor to take the hit from the kikcback...

there was its called a idle gear... but the UPDATE is out for that part not the starter.. the new idle gear according to honda is now calibrated correctly and will take most of the hit from a kickback..

but if u dont give gas during cranking u wont ever have kickback anyways...

i would get another er...

my starter= 1.2 years old and running lol

Dave400ex
06-24-2007, 11:37 AM
I would get a kicker

BlaineKaiser450
06-24-2007, 02:45 PM
i have a kicker and it is so easy to start. It starts on the 1st thru 3rd kick every time. get a kick!!! i wouldnt get anything else

GIXXER1KR
06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Lumi id hate to disagree with you.But I have always started my Er properly and i bought mine as it was the 1st 1 off the floor so about a year and a half and i get the clunking from time to time and every now and then it makes a weird sound like something is rubbing and out of place!!!I am going to go talk to my dealer and show them the bull**** warranty the other dealership porked me on(not even a honda warranty) and see what they say.I need the throttle and a arms done anyway.But i do agree there not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.Hopefully with the update ill be better off!!!!

lumi
06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
i guess its a case on case thing but speaking from experience of what kickback has done to alot of owners...

the UPDATE will replace any starter part that is effected, one way bearing, needle bearing, outer housing and gears....

and once the update is performed u get a one year warranty..

imo honda isnt stupid this time around as they knew the issue was kickback and now with the new idle gear which takes the hit off the starter it will never have starting issues..

this attempt and the sticker on the new 2007+ 450r on the throttle housing saying dont give gas during cranking was there other attempt to keep these starters alive..

i wish u good luck and im sure once ur parts are re-done and updated it will be all good.

i heard once that if there is enough time the starter has taken a kicback it will start to wear it slef out on the outer hosuing of the one way bearing, as the one way bearing is disconnected from the motor via centrifugal force.
-lumi

Jem450ER
06-25-2007, 06:58 AM
I bought my 07 ER in march and have had zero problems with tryin to get it started, starts the first time everytime. And there's no way adding a starter would make it slower... Just like a few people said you HAVE to stay off the throttle while trying to start it. My 300ex needed throttle all the time to start so when i first got it i caught myself hitting the throttle and it WILL not start when you do that. Its 2007, to hell with that kick start crap, that's 80's tech.

spincr4hire
06-25-2007, 07:02 AM
get a kicker