PDA

View Full Version : Review of 14 tooth VS 15 tooth

Deathbringer
10-20-2002, 11:52 PM
Well after running the stock 15 tooth sprocket I decided to change over to a 14 tooth sprocket. After installing the new sprocket and adjusting the chain which took about 15 minutes, off to the dunes we went. Now I am very familiar with how the 15 tooth sprocket performs at the dunes so I was eager to see the difference. First off I noticed that first gear was very very short, you got to the rev limiter and really weren’t moving yet. Now in second gear was where I really noticed the difference in the pull and paddle speed, still felt very short in the gear but got you moving pretty good. Onto third gear, here is where I probably saw the biggest difference, the pull was awesome. Half was through third gear is more like second gear tapped out, so you have some nice play in this gear. Forth gear which I very rarely used while trail riding at the dunes I found myself in it very often and it still had great pull especially about half way through the throttle. Fifth was kind of a wash for me, yeah I gave up a little top speed but it seems to pull a little better in that gear rather then just slowly speeding up. A couple of tests we ran at Winchester confirmed what I was feeling on the bike. By brother in law and I sat at the bottom of the largest dune (roughly a 500ft climb) started off in first gear and was able to make the move to third close to the top, he was stuck in second. On another run I was able to lag behind him half way up and then pull past him at the top. One thing I really had to get used to was the grunt or pull of the bike, I had to stay out of it a lot more because it wanted to lift the front end. Now this power was nice.... but when diving into corners and being used to pulling hard out of them, it wanted to lift the front and push the bike so much that I jumped the track several times. Overall I think it’s a nice upgrade for people who want that extra pull and don’t mind shifting a little more quickly to stay out of the rev limit of the bike. I think Honda did a great job finding a happy medium on the bike with the 15 tooth, so for the bulk of the people I think the 15 tooth is just fine.

NTPRacing#19
10-21-2002, 08:12 AM
im thinkin about gettin a 14 tooth setup also for MX anyone thiink this is a good idea for MX. I like my 15tooth it doesnt bother me at all, i have a Sparks rev limiter so i can carry higher rpms when needed. i also have 18 inch turfs on the rear, i think i should just leave the sprokets alone since i have smaler tires

tryken
10-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Where is the best place to get a 14 tooth front sprocket?

cheetah
10-21-2002, 03:15 PM
I like mine over the 15t too. You can get them from www.rockymountainatv.com or I got mine from our local dealer. I didn't feel like waiting.

400grl
10-21-2002, 03:22 PM
The 14tooth front sprocket works well for MX on a stock motor....I went to 14 soon after I started racing......you don't bog on the big jumps out of tight corners so much and it helps you on the holeshot if you can shift quick enough. I was holeshotting much faster quads than me with my stock motor and some quick clutch action......

I just now switched back to a 15 tooth since I put my 440 kit in....it works better now for MX since my engine can pull it better - I just have to get used to the gearing...I bogged a little in my last race.....14 works good for the dunes on a stock bike, too. You will lose some top end, though.......

Corry

Gusto
10-23-2002, 04:48 PM
IF you ride in the higher gears alot, and don't like down shifting the 14t sprocket works great. Yeah, you do lose top end speed but with the thumper 4-stroke you can "roll" right out of it. Yes, you do lose something but you gain something else....throttles choice:p Don't always look for the cheapest sprocket either...if budget allows go for mid grade or better.

Sportrax10
10-23-2002, 05:20 PM
i think ill get a 14t front after reading this.....
probibly renthal

QuadRacer041
10-23-2002, 06:46 PM
i agree with 400grl,
the 14t works great on a STOCK motor, which is what i have and i run it for mx, i love it has alot of pull in the turns and works well for building up the power for hitting doubles out of turns

10-23-2002, 09:19 PM
I just put a 14 on my ex and am going to the dunes this weekend and will report back with my test data.;)

redrider ex
10-23-2002, 09:42 PM
and it will pull up into a wheelie in 4th gear alot easier now it made a diff.

tom400ex
10-24-2002, 08:21 AM
what if you have a bigger tire on the back. I have 23"holeshot XCT's on the back and the dude I bought my bike from gave me a 14t sproket, but i did put it on because of the larger tires in the rear. How would it be if i did go with the 14t and the holeshots?

MOUSE
10-24-2002, 08:41 AM
when i was running stock tires and rims i really liked the 14 tooth but when i went to 18 in holeshots on the back i went back to the 15tooth and that seems to me to work very well.