PDA

View Full Version : how to kickstart a 300ex?

maddmatt02
06-22-2007, 11:41 PM
trying to build a 300ex on a budget, suspensions half done and I should have most the rest of the suspension ordered by next week, and I have the engine besides some parts like carb, cam chain, new rings, etc.. and am gonna rebuild it, but I dont mind a kick start and would rather not have a battery and not have to mess with the starter motor, silenoids and stuff, and save some money. can I just machine a hole in the side of the case and get a few gears and a kick start lever or not?

wilkin250r
06-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Your cheapest route is going to be original electric start.

To try to actually modify a 300EX engine to be kick-start would be tremendously expensive, it would require a lot of custom work.

If you were dead-set on a kickstart, your easiest solution would probably be a 250X engine in a 300EX frame, but that would require you to buy a complete 250X engine. It would certainly be more expensive that simply getting the e-start components for the engine you already have.

maddmatt02
06-23-2007, 12:14 PM
plus I want a 300, not a 250. I actually found a bunch of stuff about this after I posted and decided to probably just bump start it for a while, and then get everything for e-start, just cover the hole where the starter motor goes so no dirt gets in there, wouldnt be too long and I may have enough money after Im done with it to get that part, but that, reverse, and lighting are my last concerns for this, just want it ridable.