PDA

View Full Version : How do i adjust these works shocks.

zack221
06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
How can i adjust these shocks.They are works shocks on a 2000 400ex.They are really soft and i need to tighten them up so i can jump and not bottom out.I thought if i would turn the part on the top to the left it would compress the spring and make them stiffer am i right?Click on the pics to make them bigger and clearer.

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/6/17223224992.jpg
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/6/17223224954.jpg

blasterfreak99
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
yea man you want to tighten them down. i believe its to the left but i cant remember how it is on my works rear. im pretty sure its too the left though.

zack221
06-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Ok i wanted to make sure before i took the shock off to tighten them up.

mxraptor149
06-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Those look like steelers. If I remember correctly, you turn the pre-load collar clockwise to increase tension on the spring. My Works Triple Rate Pro Series piggybacks are the same; turn the collar clockwise to increase spring preload/tension.

Those shocks look like they're probably in need of a rebuild. Send them to Baldwin Motorsports or GTThunder, and for $150 they'll feel like a brand new set of front shocks. If your seals are bad and you're losing oil, or the oil is just old, etc ... increasing preload will help prevent bottoming but it won't stop it.

A tired shock is still a tired shock.

zack221
06-24-2007, 02:00 AM
Yea those shocks could really use a rebuild.They arent leaking but i say the bushings and everything inside is worn out.

swampz
06-24-2007, 12:37 PM
turning the collar wont do you any good these arent a threaded preload, you need to push down on the collar and youll see a c clip and you just move that down a couple of threads

NacsMXer
06-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by swampz
turning the collar wont do you any good these arent a threaded preload, you need to push down on the collar and youll see a c clip and you just move that down a couple of threads

Yep, this guy's absolutely right...they are not threaded bodies and there is no preload collar to tighten down. I used to have AT-Steelers and they are pretty much non-adjustable. You're gonna need a big C-clamp to get the top collar compressed enough to move the clip further down on the body. All that's gonna do is give you more spring preload though...sort of a bandaid fix. Would be much better to send them off and have them revalved more to your riding style IMO :o

awlogeman
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
You have to tighten them down then you can just slide the rings

zack221
07-17-2007, 12:52 AM
How do you compress the shock?I took it off and the vise wasnt big enough to put the shock in.