PDA

View Full Version : Staph infection... can I still ride?

Jake250ex
06-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, here goes. I think I have staph. I went to the doc today and they said thats what it looked like, of course only after leaving me sit in the room for about 2 hours and stabbing a big blister trying to squeeze puss out of it to get a sample...

It started as a couple pimple lookin things on my chest and it got bigger and bigger, spread more and is really painful even when my shirt rest on it. It always oozes and Im emberassed to take my shirt off around anyone. It blows :(

The doc gave me some antibiotics and ointment to pu on it. They didnt say much other than that. The thing is, if it is staph ive had it about a year. :confused: Shouldnt I be dead by now?

So, after all the small talk, will I still be able to ride? Ill be super bummed if I cant go this weekend. Then again I dont want it getting worse and them standing on top of me with a belt sander and a scotchbrite in the hospital.

ZeroLogic
06-22-2007, 07:19 PM
http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/infections/bacterial_viral/staph.html

LTR450_#67
06-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Sure it aint a boil maybe???

One_Bad_400
06-22-2007, 11:01 PM
i've had a few staph infections... they suck... and hurt like H-E- double hockey sticks... my g/f had them on her stomach and she scratched them and it turned into shingles ALL OVER her stomach... she counted 55 of them... so DONT SCRATCH!!! and DONT try to pop it... i had one on my leg and i popped it and it got into my blood stream and my hole leg swole up like a balloon... if i grabbed my leg a hang print would stay into my leg... LOL!!! it was WIERD!!!!!!!

One_Bad_400
06-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
Sure it aint a boil maybe???

i thought a boil was a type of staph infection?

whiteboycustom
06-23-2007, 08:42 AM
i wouldnt ride i would give it time to heel....i had something on my knee (i think it was a spider bite) but the doc said maybe staph infection, anyways it was red and hurt like hell and had alittle puss pocket on top and my leg was all swollen and i could get it to ooze some, at first i was putting black sab on it but nothing... one night i was lookin at it and i tried to poke the puss pocket well it moved as one soooo i was like wtf, i couldnt find any tweezers so i got a mini pair of pliers and latched on and pulled, well out came a big white chunk of i have no clue and now i have a small hole in my knee so im like WTF!!!! but teh good thing was after that it didnt hurt as bad and started to feel better i went to the dr the next day got some bactroban and some anitbiotics to take and it heeled up just fine..... funy thing is i still have that chunk of whatever in a little jar on my desk in some alchohol haha

wilkin250r
06-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Generally, a staph infection is little more than a really severe pimple. I don't see any reason why you couldn't ride.

You'll want to take precautions, because there are a few serious health risks. Cover any boils with a bandage, possibly even some sort of padding (similar to the donuts they sell for corns on your feet, only larger). This reduces any abrasion or irritation.

You don't want to crash and "land" on one of your boils, which would be another reason for the padding. If it ruptures outside your skin, it's just messy and gross. But if it ruptures UNDER your skin, it could cause a really serious blood infection. No joke, a blood infection would be really serious.

But as long as you don't have any abrasion or impact, I don't see any danger.

yamaha250f
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey a buddy of mine had it and it is mad contagious he gave it to his brother and his g/f and then his brother gave it to his g/f not pretty is yours like a red/purple color cause that how his was and man it was nasty.

Jake250ex
06-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Well today was the day and Im not riding so you can put the rest together...

I went to load up a junky polaris which no one told me had no brakes in the back of my truck, and I didnt want to put up the ramps and spit em out so I got a little run at it... Smashed out my back glass

And the medication they gave me is making me really nautious.

Plus its rained for like 3 days straight Id probabnly get stuck in the parking lot