PDA

View Full Version : LT80 wont idle

dlar
06-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I have an LT 80 that has been sitting for years. When I started it, it ran very rough, so I took the carb apart and found lots of gum and junk. I cleaned out all the gum and got a hold off a carb rebuild kit and reinstalled it. Now it runs good but it will only idle when the choke is on. If I turn the choke off, it immediately starves for fuel and dies. I took it apart again and checked the pilot jet to make sure it was clean. When I could see a pin hole of light though it I put it back together only to get the same results. It won’t idle without the choke.
Any ideas?

TRX450RACER174
06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I had the same problem with our 05 i messed with the needle to give it more gas at idle cause these bikes run on the fat side, that worked for a short time, the best thing i did was lose the oil injection and run pre-mix, now it starts every time and idles smooth.

dlar
06-25-2007, 08:31 AM
I am already running pre-mix and now that I rebuilt the carb it starts great. Only problem is it wont idle without the choke. I would try messing with the needle but I dont even know where to start with that.

redzoomer
06-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by dlar
I am already running pre-mix and now that I rebuilt the carb it starts great. Only problem is it wont idle without the choke.

Sounds like the pilot jet is stopped up. Or your idle is set too low.

dlar
06-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I have cleaned out the pilot jet but when I put it back together it did the same thing. Could it have gottin pluged up as soon as I put it back together?
I have played with the idle but that does not help.