PDA

View Full Version : 450 stroker kits

speedjunkie13
06-22-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm looking into possibly buying an EX with one of these kits, and i was just wondering what the reliability of these engines is like. (assuming everything is done properly with HD studs etc..) are the stroker kits prone to anymore or different problems than the big bore kits? i did a search but didn't find anything to definite.

and just to include more info, it would probably be used for mainly trail riding with the possibilty of doing some MX down the road.

thanks.

Franky G
06-22-2007, 07:58 AM
I have a 460 stroker, for reliability so far so good its been together for about 5 months and no break yet. but I change the oil every month that helps...

XXXRACER165
06-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Are you talking about the PC4000 450 kit from DR?

speedjunkie13
06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm not really positive which kit it is. from what i understand it's a stroker though, so i don't think it's the PC-4000 cylinder you mentioned. i will have to talk to the guy to be sure though. i guess the work was done by GT thunder.

XXXRACER165
06-22-2007, 12:14 PM
ok well then I'm not much help then since I did my kit from DR

speedjunkie13
06-22-2007, 12:49 PM
i appreciate the attempt XXXRACER165.

and thanks for the input Franky G.

NacsMXer
06-22-2007, 06:18 PM
I have GT Thunder's 452 stroker kit in my EX. It's been in 2 years now and not a single issue (knock on wood). It's behaved no more finicky than when my 400 was bone stock....that alone should tell you something about the reliability of this kit.

This kit uses a long +7mm stroke at the crank but what's nice about it is the custom JE stroker piston is only a 87mm (416) bore. You can use your stock cylinder (although I bought a new one b/c my previous motor was a 440) and you have no issues with blowing head gaskets etc.

I'm very happy with my decision to go with this kit as are the few others on this site who have it in their EX's. I've yet to see another EX first hand that will compare to the power it puts out....hangs with the newer 450 quads no problem as well. The torque is just amazing....I have a 16T front sprocket, yes a big 16T, and my quad throttle wheelies in 4th like no tomorrow....that's with ZPS shocks too which make it much harder to get the front end up!

You can read all the mods in my sig as this is the motor combo Laz at GT Thunder put together for me. Contact him at www.gtthunder.com he'll give you the whole run down on all the details and any other questions you may have :)

speedjunkie13
06-24-2007, 12:32 PM
awesome. thanks NacsMXer. sounds like you have one bad*** quad!

Just curious, whats the top speed on your quad? thats some pretty tall gearing.

NacsMXer
06-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Not a problem..i'm doing a little rebuild on it at the moment so I can't wait to actually ride it this summer! :p Not sure on the exact top speed as i've never clocked it with a gps or anything like that before. I run 16/39 gearing with 18" Klaw MX rears so my best guess would be somewhere around 68-70 mph.