PDA

View Full Version : benefits of this gearing.

yellow400ex05
06-22-2007, 07:19 AM
What are some of the benefits of this gearing?

13 tooth front and 40 tooth rear I know I'll get a ton of acceleration, the reason i chose this gearing is because my bros old z440 had this gearing and from I could tell it was awesome and crazy quick in accelerating. I know i don't have a bore kit YET but i do have a cam and pipe and airfilter and vented airbox. When i had my stock gearing, I had alot of wheel spin while i was doing a couple "drag racing" runs and i noticed I spun till 4th freakin' gear. I'm only 100 pounds so that may explain the lack of hookup, and i do have new kend klaws in the back, its only at the time where the terrain is more hard packed that it picks up into 3rd for me. What will my top speed be? as you know i only care how fast i accelerate and low end, because when i start racing MX top speed is nothing.

REDRIDDER
06-22-2007, 08:19 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm try this out.you should be able to determine all gears you may want but dont forget to add engine rpms for rev boxes, it will show your speed at that particular rpm.

300ex mxracer
06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
if you go lower gearing for more acceleration, i would think you would have more wheelspin because of more power down low. if you wanted to have less wheelspin, i would gear it up a lil. for mx racing, 13-40 might be a lil to low depending on the tracks you race at. on my R i run 13-38 which is topped out in 5th on the longest straight.

wilkin250r
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Plus, you don't want to be shifting twice as fast as everybody else.

You might not think shifting is a big deal, but it adds up. Those tenths of a second have a way of turning into several seconds by the time you get shut out of a corner, or yeild so somebody else in your line that is a tenth of a second in front of you.

ncsmash
06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree with the shifting part i have a 400 ex also and my stock gearing is 15/38 and i switched to a 14 and it was just to much shifting that i switched out the sprockets back to the 15 in between motos and it made a world of difference

300ex mxracer
06-23-2007, 07:33 PM
it also depends on the rev limiter on the quad. you will be shifting alot faster if your rev limiter is the stock 400ex, instead of the rev limiter on my R which is around 11,000.