PDA

View Full Version : Open Hole under the rear differential on 250ex?

Green95Hoe
06-21-2007, 10:56 PM
This is unusual. I changed my gear oil a few weeks back and noticed a leak dripping from the skidplate. I figured the drain plug worked loose so I took the skid off and there is oil coming out of a hole in the center. Its almost like a weep hole or something. The hole is not threaded and I can see shiny steel if I look in with a flashlight. Can anyone tell me whats going on here or identify what it is. The leak is very slow but im afraid to let my girl drive it cuz I dont want smegma getting in there.

Here is a pic but keep in mind I stuck a small rubber plug in there to stop the leak.
The hole is just to the left of the drain plug.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3614/1003388sy9.jpg

mx825
06-21-2007, 11:05 PM
:huh

i'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow.

JBacon
06-22-2007, 11:46 AM
man, my 250, and my moms 250 has the same problem with the engine oil bolt. It is a very slow leak. Im thinking I could have lost the washer? I dont know, but it sucks....:mad:

450ERRRRRR!
06-22-2007, 11:58 AM
JBacon, you need to add a new Crush washer to the drain bolt next time you change the oil. You can get one from the parts counter at your dealer.

Green95hoe, I had a 250ex and never do recall ever seeing that hole next to the drain bolt, but I also never got under it and looked up. I wouldn't ride it till it's fixed right. Let us know what you find out. It makes me want to go to the dealer and look under a new one.

JBacon
06-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
JBacon, you need to add a new Crush washer to the drain bolt next time you change the oil. You can get one from the parts counter at your dealer.

Green95hoe, I had a 250ex and never do recall ever seeing that hole next to the drain bolt, but I also never got under it and looked up. I wouldn't ride it till it's fixed right. Let us know what you find out. It makes me want to go to the dealer and look under a new one.

Ill try it, thanks.

Green95Hoe
06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Its just odd cuz I dont ever remember it being there but its definetly supposed to be there and as I said there are no threads so its not like there is supposed to be a bolt in there. Here is another pic with the plug out. You can see the oil starting to leak out already.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7762/1003391jc5.jpg

njk4o5
08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
That hole also lets in water into the rear brake drum, causing the rear brakes to suck. I tapped out the hole in mine and put a bolt in it...better rear brake performance. I dont think it should leak fluid...that would mean you would have a leaky seal in between your rear brake drum and gear case.