View Full Version : how do u adjust clutch

400exfan19
06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
on my new bike i want to adjust the clutch so it will respond and start moving when the clutch is half way out instead of almost all the way out untill it does anything. any1 know how to adjust it?

LeGaCyGiAnT124
06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
If you look on the right crankcase side there is where the clutch is located. There should be 2 nuts on the cable itself, mess with them until you get them the way you like.

svahle
06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
There is an adjustment at the lever and also on the right side as mentioned in an above post. They are both pretty straight forward if you will just experiment a little.

One thing I see people do all the time is have the clutch adjusted too tight. There must be a little slack in your lever. If there is no slack you run the risk of the clutch not being fully engaged when the lever is released. This can and often does burn up the clutch. So make sure there is some slack in the lever. Not much, just a little will do.

400exfan19
06-22-2007, 11:49 AM
thanks for replying. i found where to adjust them but i really dont which way to turn those bolts. do u guys know exactly wat i have to do so it will respond wen the clutch is half way out?

06-22-2007, 12:09 PM
trial and error brother...

svahle
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 400exfan19
thanks for replying. i found where to adjust them but i really dont which way to turn those bolts. do u guys know exactly wat i have to do so it will respond wen the clutch is half way out?

First, only so much adjustment can be made in the cable. As clutch plates wear and the cables stretch, adjustments need to be made. So, it may be that you are not able to adjust the clutch cable/lever such that it behaves as you wish. Essentially, the adjustments that have been discussed above deal with slack at the lever. You can play around with them and see if you can help your issue.

To adjust at the lever, screw out the threaded piece that inserts into the clutch perch to take up slack and screw it in to add slack.

On the right side case, turn the nuts to move the threaded part of the cable toward the front of your quad to take up slack. This is a bit difficult to explain. If you are trying to take out slack, adjust the nuts such that you will see more threads on the right or front end of the bracket. Do the opposite to add slack.

If these adjustments don't help, it may be time for new clutch plates. As the plates wear and become thinner, the clutch usually engages nearer the end of the clutch lever's range of motion (when the lever is almost all the way out). This might be what your problem is. If so, I would go ahead buy a new clutch pack so when it starts slipping you will have what you need on hand.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

my88r
06-22-2007, 04:50 PM
MANUEL