PDA

View Full Version : Tires: 23 Front/22 Rear

Ace Sixx
06-21-2007, 05:18 AM
I'd like to hear from those that are running this combo. How has your handling changed, if any? Any other pros or cons? I'll be changing sprockets to compensate for the larger tires, of course. Thanks.

fastredrider44
06-21-2007, 07:56 AM
I had a friend who ran razr 2s on his 400 in that tire size. He ran a 13/39 sprocket combo on his bike. He loved it, but I hated it. The tires felt like balloons to me. Whenever I would pitch it into a turn, the tires stayed gripping good in the rear, but the sidewalls felt like they gave a little. It felt like i was ridin on flats. What was cool with his fourwheeler was that it would go through a lot more mud than previously, and he didn't hang up on his skid plate as much as I did. In my opinion, to run those tires, you need to have a little bit wider stance. Offset wheels would probably do the trick.

Nates400ex
06-21-2007, 08:42 AM
I have them, and I love them!!!!!! They are a little spongy but I love the added height and ride. I run mainly desert and rocky desert. The added height keeps most rocks from nailing the rear skid plate now!

XXXRACER165
06-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I have 23 fronts and 20 rears. It changes the way your quad hits the bumps, lets the suspension work a little better. All though I race mx so that setup is best for me.

Ace Sixx
06-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I had a friend who ran razr 2s on his 400 in that tire size. He ran a 13/39 sprocket combo on his bike. He loved it, but I hated it. The tires felt like balloons to me. Whenever I would pitch it into a turn, the tires stayed gripping good in the rear, but the sidewalls felt like they gave a little. It felt like i was ridin on flats. What was cool with his fourwheeler was that it would go through a lot more mud than previously, and he didn't hang up on his skid plate as much as I did. In my opinion, to run those tires, you need to have a little bit wider stance. Offset wheels would probably do the trick.

Yeah, I figured that there would be issues with the increased sidewall height. Perhaps a running ten-inch rear wheels would help alleviate the mushiness, with perhaps a couple of extra pounds of air (do you know what air pressure he was running?). I may go ahead and give it a try with my stock wheels and see what happens. In the future I'll be in the market for some new HiPers and perhaps I'll buy a set of 10x10 DBLs instead of 9x9s.

As for the wider stance, I can understand where that might help, however I would not want to increase my overall width by more than two inches total. I ride GNCC type stuff and don't want to get too wide for the trees.

Originally posted by Nates400ex
I have them, and I love them!!!!!! They are a little spongy but I love the added height and ride. I run mainly desert and rocky desert. The added height keeps most rocks from nailing the rear skid plate now!

I'd love to do some desert type riding. Though what I ride around here is far from desert type terrain, we do have rocks and roots and fallen trees and I'm looking to keep from banging my skid plate so much.

Thanks for your replies, guys. If anyone else has anything to add, please do so.

Regards,

AS

TYayo420
06-21-2007, 10:52 PM
i run 20 rears on 9 inch rims, and 22 fronts on 10 inch rims and love it, with 14/38 gearing, works awesome cant ask for better.

i run 19inch fronts with 10 inch wheels, and 18 rears on 10 inch wheels and 13/18 hearing, but i also do tt racing and want to be lower and faster take offs cuz you never really need top speed more acceleration so the 13 is awesome for that.

gcart2
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
i have razr 2 all the way 22 rear 23 front. the rears are to big. they burn out clutches. go with 20's if u ride trail and 18 if u do mx. the fronts r great

Ace Sixx
06-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by gcart2
i have razr 2 all the way 22 rear 23 front. the rears are to big. they burn out clutches. go with 20's if u ride trail and 18 if u do mx. the fronts r great

Did you swap out sprockets to compensate for the bigger tires?

fastredrider44
06-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Ace Sixx
Yeah, I figured that there would be issues with the increased sidewall height. Perhaps a running ten-inch rear wheels would help alleviate the mushiness, with perhaps a couple of extra pounds of air (do you know what air pressure he was running?). I may go ahead and give it a try with my stock wheels and see what happens. In the future I'll be in the market for some new HiPers and perhaps I'll buy a set of 10x10 DBLs instead of 9x9s.

AS

I don't know what he was running. I wanna say it was right around the four pound mark. I run 20s in the rear on t-9 baja wheels and with about 3 pounds. Also I dont run a rear skid to give me a little more clearance in the mud and ruts.