PDA

View Full Version : clutch instal

400exrules
06-21-2007, 12:37 AM
i used an impact wrench to take off the center nut holding on the clutch basket, and it says it needs 80ft/lbs to torque it down, so how do i keep that little center piece still so i can torque down 80ft/lbs? Is it really that critical that its 80ft/lbs?

u_want_some
06-21-2007, 06:05 AM
I hope that this helps...When I used the air impact to tighten the center clutch nut I held the flywheel with a gloved hand and then hit it with the impact. Make sure that no part of your glove is under the flywheel, and make sure that you have a good grip on it before using the impact

u_want_some
06-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Sorry, I just caught my mistake, There is no need to hold the flywheel when you are trying to get the clutch nut on. What I meant was to hold the clutch center with your gloved hand and then use the impact...Sorry I have been having some problems with my flywheel and got that in my mind. Hope I could help

400exrules
06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
that might get it tight, but it needs to be torqued to 80ft/lbs

400exrider707
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
A decent impact should do well over that anyday

speedfreaksguy
06-21-2007, 04:55 PM
But you don't want it "well over that." You need a clutch holder or you can make one with an old clutch plate. You could easily take a finger off trying to hold it while hitting it with an impact.

u_want_some
06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Alright I'm kinda new to this too...How can you possibly take a finger off by holding the clutch center or outer while using a impact? I use a good quality leather glove and place my hand firmly across the entire clutch....What's my finger going to get stuck it, to take it off? Just wondering

speedfreaksguy
06-22-2007, 03:55 PM
The impact can cause the clutch hub to spin. If you're trying to hold the hub and it's spinning and the basket isn't, you could get hurt.
I have tightened them with am impact before, but I wouldn't put my hand in there while i'm doing it. Maybe "you'll take a finger off" was a little extreme. The older I get the more I sound like my dad.