PDA

View Full Version : Rear bearing carrier 400 ex suggestions

Mr. Tuesday
06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
As luck would have it my rear bearing and carrier have been destroyed and I am in the market for a new carrier and bearing kit.

I have done minimal research and was looking for input.

Dual vs. tapered........just less adjustment with tapered?

durablue/lonestar/RPM all seem to be about the same price. Thoughts?

Also noticed my spacer got chewed up and the axle doesnt look all that hot. Does the spacer come with kits and how bad does axle have to be before replacing.

Do they all come with external grease zerks?

Thanks Gang hope to get the beast back and running ASAP.

PS WTF is with those locknuts, just about killed me to get them off and apart so I could take the safety clip. BTW 02 400 ex not alot of hours mostly mud/trail riding and honestly not alot of hours on the bike. Not a huge jumper either. FMF pit, KN kit, nerfs, gearing thats about it.

REDRIDDER
06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
do your self a favor go on ebay type in 400ex bearing carrier and wel la their is a slection of them prices are right too.zerks come on most but not all and with a new carrier im pretty sure that it will have everything youll need to get the rear end back together.

400exrider707
06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Tuesday
As luck would have it my rear bearing and carrier have been destroyed and I am in the market for a new carrier and bearing kit.

I have done minimal research and was looking for input.

Dual vs. tapered........just less adjustment with tapered?

durablue/lonestar/RPM all seem to be about the same price. Thoughts?

Also noticed my spacer got chewed up and the axle doesnt look all that hot. Does the spacer come with kits and how bad does axle have to be before replacing.

Do they all come with external grease zerks?

Thanks Gang hope to get the beast back and running ASAP.

PS WTF is with those locknuts, just about killed me to get them off and apart so I could take the safety clip. BTW 02 400 ex not alot of hours mostly mud/trail riding and honestly not alot of hours on the bike. Not a huge jumper either. FMF pit, KN kit, nerfs, gearing thats about it.

tapered last longer and are better for side loads, however I wont run them and neither would anyone else who saw how much power they lost on a dyno....

If you are paying that much for a carrier from what I see you are considering I would get a Houser one, they have external grease fittings that you can use without taking the carrier out!

Also just an FYI, as far as I know OEM and baldwin carriers are the only ones to use a hardened piece of steel for the spacer inside, so those are going to be the most reliable, but I've never had a problem with any of the othesr I've used.

The locknuts, you should be glad they were they tight, chances are now, they will never ever stay tight again.