PDA

View Full Version : florance dunes were to stay

bossman525
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
going to florance oregon dunes next month. can anybody tell me were we can stay with our toy hauler? want to stay in camp ground near or on the dunes. we have never been there before, any info would be great.

z400roosteR
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
SiltCoos.....It's one of the parking lot type campgrounds with the bathrooms etc.. dune access 30ft from where ever you camp in the campground.

It is located on the south end of the dunes you come out to the flats.

Or there is honeymon on the north end but it's a state park and the rangers are complete dicks, only one loop of their whole park can you ride your quad out....

I'd shoot for silt:blah:

bossman525
06-21-2007, 05:58 PM
siltcoos, thats in florance? thanks for the info:)

sonof_perdition
06-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Driftwood2 on the south end. Its a fed park but I dont think it has hook ups. Nice showers though.

sonof_perdition
06-21-2007, 11:07 PM
You can call or get online and reserve a spot then you dont have to worry about if you'll get a space or not. Try recreation.gov and look for Oregon camping on the Oregon Dunes National Forest. 877 444 6777 Or try reserve america but I dont think they handle fed reservations. Honeyman is not open to dune access most of the year. It really only open during the winter months. If you stayed there now you would have to trailer your bikes to the day use area. Maybe about a 10 to 15 min drive..? Nice park though. Ive never had a problem there. Also look into Horsefal, and spinreel in lakeside, OR near Coos Bay. These are also fed camp grounds with no hook-ups but I prefer the sand there :) The number above belongs to recreation.gov
there is also lots of sand camping but you have to pull your trailer onto the sand yourself as well as through some whoops.
Lastly there is an RV park called Osprey or Osprey Point in the town of Lakeside right on Ten Mile Lake. Its about a 10 min drive from spinreel but it has nice showers as well as full hook-ups.

Let us know how much fun you have

JLSLEP500
06-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Also chesk out sanddunesfrontier.com They have dune access. I will at Florence July 25-29 at driftwood 2. We had reservations for sand dunes frontier and cancelled. We may try and stay there in August to check it out.

400exfan19
06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
any1 know of any good campgrounds in coos bay or winchester bay?

bossman525
06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks for the info guys:) i will let you know how it goes, getting bored of the dunes here were i live

LPjustin
06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
hey, i guess you go to juniper since you live in pasco. i go there too. i'm going to winchester bay on the 8th.

JOEX
06-23-2007, 11:00 AM
You can use Reserve America for Driftwood II but good luck getting a spot, it may be all booked up.

Spinreel is another campground. I'll be there in a couple weeks:D

More info here:
http://www.oohva.org/ohv%20area%20pages/odnraarea.html

bossman525
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
lpjustin yea its juniper, gets boring after a while. we will be in florance the 20 th thru 25th. when you go to juniper again look around for a black outlaw 525 and a red 400 scrambler. be fun to meet somebody to ride with other than my wife

Forest400ex
07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Another fun (but smaller) place to ride is Sand Lake just south of Tillamook. It is closer than Florence and good for a weekend of fun. I live close to there so I am there alot but it is not nearly as big as Florence.

JOEX
07-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Forest400ex
Another fun (but smaller) place to ride is Sand Lake just south of Tillamook. It is closer than Florence and good for a weekend of fun. I live close to there so I am there alot but it is not nearly as big as Florence.
Weekends at Sandlake can be scary... Too many people in too small of an area.

During the week it isn't so bad;)

mattonln
07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
hey man, I'm not trying to bash on you or anything, but sandlake is rediculous. Its basically a big sand flat - no dunes or steep anything. if your going to make the trip, my reccomendation would be to go to Winchester Bay, just about 2 miles south of Reedsport, OR (a little under 30 minutes south of florence). It has by far the biggest dunes and the funnest riding area, plus there are a multiplicity of campgrounds ranging from sand dry camping to full hookups at osprey point campground, all with rideable access. I live in the area and ride all these places very frequently and always have the most fun at winchester. Hope this helps