PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk gearing, and TQ

beobe99
06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Ok, well I completely understand going teeth down in the front and/or up in the rear gives you more TQ to the ground in the low end but takes away your top end and vice versa?

Next would be getting TQ (torque not horse power) with reed spacer and a weighted flywheel. Big difference? worth it?

I have a procross 310 and a stock 250cc top end that Im debating using or switching back and forth with. I of course like HP but the kind of riding a do (trials, maybe harescrambles) I would like to increase the TQ numbers Plus if it ever snows again I would like to not just sit and spin. Now I know the 310 will deff ad some TQ. but the main Qs's here are

-what gear ratio if any actually make a solid difference?
-Do reed spacers do anything? has anyone ever doubled them up?
-And has anyone used a weighted flywheel?

HP to me is like bruce lee
TQ to me is like mike tyson

Thanks guys,

deathman53
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
a 310(really 293), will make more torque and rev slower than a 250 stock sleeve. The 250 will make more hp, but be harder to ride and more pipey. People that have 350 and 330 bores almost compare it to riding a 4 stroke, it has torque that will rip your arms off. When I had a 330, it made gobs of torque, If I did trails it would have worked out. Reed spacers don't do anything, a lightened flywheel reduces torque and makes it more pipey, also easier to stall and harder to ride longer. As for the gearing, I used 14/39 with 20" tires for trails, it would make enough torque to pull a quad broken down, climb hills in 4th and do most stuff easy. Your pipe has more effect on where the power is than any of the above.

I would use the 310, 38 a/s carb, boysteen rad valve, 14/39 gearing and paul turner type 6 pipe. That will make arm ripping torque and will rev out to keep up with banshees on straights. That is if trails is your major type of riding.

My bikes are for mx, 88 250r and 86 atc250r, the atc first: 310pv, 39 pwk, cr igntion, cr boysteen rad valve and 1/2" spacer, paul turner hi-rev pipe, 14/36 gearing and 18" tires.

Now the trx, everything of the atc, but lrd adjustable pipe, and 14/38 gearing. They don't make good torque, but mid-top will run like a raped ape. Its mostly due to the flywheel of the cr igniton, its 1/2 the weight of the trx one.

Aceman
06-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I have a Pro Cross 310 cylinder, I just removed a 1/2" reed spacer and never noticed a difference. I got tired of my airbox being ziptied since the bolt holes didn't line up with the reed spacer pushing everything back. I also used 14/39 with 20" tires for trails, but just now dropped to a 13 tooth because I wasn't using enough of the gears with a 14. Seemed like I was always lugging 2nd on the tight technical stuff. And not everyone rides as fast as I want to.:D

deathman53
06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
all but one person I was riding trails with, I was waiting for them. I can see why you lowered your gears, maybe we are riding with a bunch of slow pokes. I heard this from another 250r owner, he was always waiting for the others to catch up. It seams almost no matter what I ride, I am waiting for others to catch up on trails, atc200x, atc250r, trx250r, xr250r, ktm 450exc. I was beating a trx250r, raptor, 400ex, some kawaski, and warrior on my atc200x, they weren't even in sight!!! I think we need some faster trail riding people to go with!!

beobe99
06-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Very good info thanks guys!!

I used to have a 500 quadracer and remember before I got it I was thinking "O my god I can only imagine how the power band must feel" to my suprize it was nothing greater then the tecate 4 I had. BUT the TQ was insane.. It felt like a 4stroke with power band.. it was perfect (except for being a tank and a ***** to start)..

Thanks again guys.. I will be using the 310 (295) and playing with teh ratios you mention... Now I just wish I didnt buy the reed spacer for the 250 cylinder :/

Thanks

wilkin250r
06-22-2007, 12:22 AM
The reed spacer shouldn't be a night-and-day difference. It doesn't really give you more torque, it just feels like more torque.

The reed spacer increases your crankcase volume (which lowers your crankcase pressure). This mellows out the "hit" of the powerband.

You probably wouldn't feel a big difference on the ol' butt-dyno, but you could see a difference in lap times. You'll end up with less wheelspin, increasing your traction out of corners.