PDA

View Full Version : timeing tensioner issue

dheavychevy38
06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Ok so my 440 was running fine then bam started makeing a hell a bad ticking sound figured it was the chain. So i tore her down and the chain was almost loose enough to pull over the gear. I pull the tensioner apart and the screw inside turns very easy and the tensioner moves but there is no way to lock it in place what gives Thanks Denny.

GPracer2500
06-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Just replace the tensioner with a new one if yours isn't operating correctly. They are about $50 plus shipping if you shop around.

If you've had tensioner reliability issues in the past or are concened about tensioner reliability in the future--you can make a manual tensioner out of your broken one. I've not actually done that on a 400EX tensioner but I've seen it done on tensioners of the same design. Someone might make an aftermarket manual tensioner for the EX as well.

dheavychevy38
06-20-2007, 02:57 PM
ya thats what i was figureing thanks i might lock tight mine down for the weekend and order the new one for next week thanks again denny

quadracer500
06-21-2007, 02:58 PM
there is a place in ohio called cyclesrus that has the manual tensioner for the 400ex i have one in mine, i believe it is the same as the one for a suzuki haybasua

p.s. they do have a website cyclesrus.com

400exrider707
06-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by dheavychevy38
ya thats what i was figureing thanks i might lock tight mine down for the weekend and order the new one for next week thanks again denny

That sounds like an awful idea. Dont ride it with a faulty tensioner... the manual adjusts can be had all over ebay, or try figuring out how to make it manual yourself.