PDA

View Full Version : Look at this...what am i missing here?

2old2race
06-20-2007, 07:46 AM
It tells you to lean into the direction of the turn. So, if I am sliding around a left hand turn, lean to the right?????
This is against every rule of riding I have ever known.
I have always been taught to lean into the center of the turn...not to the outside!

http://www.offroad-ed.com/in/handbook/atv_techniques.htm

What gives????

Ghost-Rider
06-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Going into a left you lean left.It makes sense.

bansheerider4
06-20-2007, 07:53 AM
its telling you to lean to the inside and not the outside...

so say if your sliding to the left and you lean to your right youll be fine but if you lean to your left it could tip

bansheerider4
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
wait scratch that flip around what i said

gbcap
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
they don't want you to lean on the outside of the seat. but if you put too much weight on the inside it will take some weight off the outside wheels and will make you squirly. you want to put as close to even weight as you can on all 4 wheels even in a turn. getting off the seat and sitting on the nerf bar doesn't always make the turn faster. it can actually let you spin out quicker. all that does is bring your center of gravity lower to make you more 'stabil'. its kinda hard to understand. if you have ever ridden a jetski you will understand what i am talking about. if you lean too far to the inside on a jetski the back will slide out. but if you keep the ski flat in the water by leaning slightly to the outside it will track straight and true the entire way.

vett_09
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 2old2race
It tells you to lean into the direction of the turn. So, if I am sliding around a left hand turn, lean to the right?????
This is against every rule of riding I have ever known.
I have always been taught to lean into the center of the turn...not to the outside!

http://www.offroad-ed.com/in/handbook/atv_techniques.htm

What gives????

If you're turning left, and leaning right, how would you be leaning in the direction of the turn? The page makes sense to me, I don't understand what you're confused about.

2old2race
06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
You know what confused me????
I guess the guy is actually doing a right hand turn on his quad. To me, it looked like he was doing a left hand turn but counter-steering.
That is why I questioned if one is turning to the left, they would not want to lean to the right (the outside of the turn).
I know when I raced dirt bike (back in 'the day') I always leaned to the inside of the turn, yet always weighted the outside footpeg. Kinda like the whole jet-ski thing.

I think we were all looking at the picture differently. ;)