PDA

View Full Version : HMF slip owners...help!

casey_lamm
06-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Just ordered a HMF slip on.

Just wondering what am I going to get?

Everything Im used to on the bike is stock...

How do they sound in your opinion compared to stock.

Also with that alone will I see any change in power?

ncsmash
06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Yea you should feel a good difference in the bottom to mid range. They are loud without the quiet core in my opinion but it depends on what you think is loud. But you will be happy with your new purchase just make sure that you jet it properly

casey_lamm
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Yea, I will have to add one if its too loud. I ride with a helmet so maybe wont be as annoying. I just want the sound of a race bike, not a utility :)

As far as the jetting I have got a k&N stage 1 power kit which includes filter and jet kit.

I will be having the local honda shop install and tune it. I know I will probalby have to tweak it after, but I want the majority of it done when I get home so I can ride. I asked the tech how they will test it and he said they had the exhaust compression tester. They do that and they check the plugs. Again they tend to run on the rich side, I know that and am fine with it. I can adjust that after.

They are also installing my nerfs and such. And not charging me very much.

Originally posted by ncsmash
Yea you should feel a good difference in the bottom to mid range. They are loud without the quiet core in my opinion but it depends on what you think is loud. But you will be happy with your new purchase just make sure that you jet it properly

casey_lamm
06-20-2007, 01:52 PM
anyone else comment?
Originally posted by casey_lamm
Yea, I will have to add one if its too loud. I ride with a helmet so maybe wont be as annoying. I just want the sound of a race bike, not a utility :)

As far as the jetting I have got a k&N stage 1 power kit which includes filter and jet kit.

I will be having the local honda shop install and tune it. I know I will probalby have to tweak it after, but I want the majority of it done when I get home so I can ride. I asked the tech how they will test it and he said they had the exhaust compression tester. They do that and they check the plugs. Again they tend to run on the rich side, I know that and am fine with it. I can adjust that after.

Cotton26
06-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I just want the sound of a race bike, not a utility :)

Since when did the 400EX's stock pipe sound like a utility's?

I will be having the local honda shop install and tune it.

You probably shouldn't be riding quads if you cannot install a slip on pipe yourself, let alone nerfs!

Pipeless416
06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
anyone else comment?

i got my HMF from a member on here a few weeks ago. yes, it is very loud, but it sounds amazing. i need to get the quiet core and im still just waiting to order it, but you definitely wont be disappointed in the tone. also, the power difference is very noticable once jetted correctly. in my opinion, they are a very well built pipe that can add tremendous gains for nearly half the price of some others.

07250ex
06-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Cotton26

You probably shouldn't be riding quads if you cannot install a slip on pipe yourself, let alone nerfs!

lmfao

ncsmash
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I ride with a helmet to and the exhaust with a quiet core is still a tad to loud for me and with the quiet core it still sounds pretty bad arse

miller821
06-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Stock 400ex's pipes certainly don't have any type of a grunt to em.;)

casey_lamm
06-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I can do it, the problem is time. When I get back to where the bike is located I have 5 days to ride... then I won't be back to that area for a month or so. To me pyaing the money to have it done is because of the time factor. 70.00 is worth it, if it means I get to spend the time I would have spent putting it on, enjoying the bike.

Thanks for the candid feedback :)

I know nerfs are easy as is the exhaust. I want to get the jetting right so part of that $ is to tune the engine after the stage 1 kit and exhaust are installed. Im hoping for about 13:1, but we will see what it runs best with.

casey_lamm
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I agree, ok I was a little hard on them. They sound slightly better then a utility! :)
Originally posted by ride hard man
Stock 400ex's pipes certainly don't have any type of a grunt to em.;)

almostred434
06-21-2007, 02:08 AM
trust me u will be glad u bought the HMF and yes it is on the loud side

trxridr
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
is it worth getting the full hmf system for 200 dollars more or is it better to put that 200 dollars toward something else and just get the slip on?

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
The advice I got from most was 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other. Since mine is mostly stock I had many other things to buy including some 6 ply tires, So I wanted to get the most done with the money I had and thats why I chose the slip on.

Originally posted by trxridr
is it worth getting the full hmf system for 200 dollars more or is it better to put that 200 dollars toward something else and just get the slip on?

Slinky
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
and you could have got more if you installed the parts yourself... your throwing money away...and that shop wont be able to jet your bike properly unless they have a place to actually take it out and ride it.
I have as much fun wrenching on my bike as i do riding it...its part of owning toys.

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree you are probably right, however when you are in a situation were you are 280 miles from the bike, get home to ride 1 weekend a month...and so on...i will take my chances and rejet if I need too. 70.00 isn't that much considering the way he told me he would jet it..plus I know the guy from high school...He will do it right...and if not big deal I paid 70.00 and had to redo the jetting...thats not that big of a deal to me.

Its not hard.

Originally posted by Slinky
and you could have got more if you installed the parts yourself... your throwing money away...and that shop wont be able to jet your bike properly unless they have a place to actually take it out and ride it.
I have as much fun wrenching on my bike as i do riding it...its part of owning toys.

Slinky
06-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I agree you are probably right, however when you are in a situation were you are 280 miles from the bike, get home to ride 1 weekend a month...and so on...i will take my chances and rejet if I need too. 70.00 isn't that much considering the way he told me he would jet it..plus I know the guy from high school...He will do it right...and if not big deal I paid 70.00 and had to redo the jetting...thats not that big of a deal to me.

Its not hard.
He's going to only charge you 70.00 to install your pipe, nerfs, and do the jetting? The shops here would charge you that just to put the pipe and then extra to jet. Is this at a dealership, or a guy that does the stuff on the side?

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Both the guy works for a shop and does his own stuff out of his garage. Until I called the shop I didn't know he worked there.

But since I do know him its a WIN WIN! :)

He's going to only charge you 70.00 to install your pipe, nerfs, and do the jetting? The shops here would charge you that just to put the pipe and then extra to jet. Is this at a dealership, or a guy that does the stuff on the side?

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
with pricing also keep in mind this is WV the bike is in and getting worked on. Up here in PA I got a quote for the same thing for 130.00 + much more for dyno.

Both the guy works for a shop and does his own stuff out of his garage. Until I called the shop I didn't know he worked there.

But since I do know him its a WIN WIN! :)

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
But I will say I agree that doing it myself is best...i still have that option... I just want to get there and ride!

Lets say that I do do it myself...

What would you say I started with...

My mods are k&n filter with Dyno jet stage 1 jet kit.
HMF slip on exhaust.

Thanks,

Casey

with pricing also keep in mind this is WV the bike is in and getting worked on. Up here in PA I got a quote for the same thing for 130.00 + much more for dyno.

Slinky
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
But I will say I agree that doing it myself is best...i still have that option... I just want to get there and ride!

Lets say that I do do it myself...

What would you say I started with...

My mods are k&n filter with Dyno jet stage 1 jet kit.
HMF slip on exhaust.

Thanks,

Casey
You mean what of those do you install first? or what else would you do other than those things?

also the Stage 1 jet kit and filter would probably be sufficient to get the jetting right for the slip on.

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 11:54 AM
yes you answered my question.

What order to do them...

Do you have any experience with the jet size I should try 1st?
You mean what of those do you install first? or what else would you do other than those things?

also the Stage 1 jet kit and filter would probably be sufficient to get the jetting right for the slip on.

Slinky
06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
If you have the 3 pieces, filter, jetkit and pipe...do they all together...i'm not sure off the top of my head what to run for jetting, but i'm sure someone here does know...its something that you just have to play with. Those stage one kits i believe are setup for running a slipon pipe though. But i'm not totally certain on this.

casey_lamm
06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Ill throw up a thread later about the jetting just incase...I have over a week until I get back home.
If you have the 3 pieces, filter, jetkit and pipe...do they all together...i'm not sure off the top of my head what to run for jetting, but i'm sure someone here does know...its something that you just have to play with. Those stage one kits i believe are setup for running a slipon pipe though. But i'm not totally certain on this.