PDA

View Full Version : How should I warm up my quad?

400exrapes
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
at most my quad sits for a week without being ridden. Sometimes when i dont let my quad warm up alot it doesnt feel like it accelerates like it always does. I just changed the oil and i got that feeling again. Could it just be me or is there something i could be doing wrong.

TYayo420
06-19-2007, 07:27 PM
once i get my choke off and engine running with no choke, even in 80 degree days, i always always leave it idle for 5-7 mins before i touch the throttle once and never have any problems doing it this way.

400exrapes
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
hah wow i rev my thing for like 1 min and then go most of the time not even a minute so now ill let it idle for like 5 minuteswith choke on or off depends and then ill ride it. and thanks

casey_lamm
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
doesnt rejetting help with the warm up. Smoother starts and smoother idle?

Originally posted by 400exrapes
hah wow i rev my thing for like 1 min and then go most of the time not even a minute so now ill let it idle for like 5 minuteswith choke on or off depends and then ill ride it. and thanks

my88r
06-19-2007, 09:54 PM
after shuting the ckoke off keep the throttle on a little bite. i know on my 250r i wait intill i feel the cylinder warm up.

underpowered
06-19-2007, 11:22 PM
never lust let is idle during. always very the RPM. but don't rev it to the moon either. just lower RPM, don;t lug it. wait till it s warm, you can feel heat from the cylinder.

07250ex
06-19-2007, 11:30 PM

thats horrible for the engine i remember one time on my old quad started it up reved it to the moon my dad ran out (he's a mechanic) what the EFF are you doin! i was like uhhm starting it and he was all mad and yelled at me why i shouldn't do it .. i was like 10 lol

CarGuy7a
06-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
thats horrible for the engine i remember one time on my old quad started it up reved it to the moon my dad ran out (he's a mechanic) what the EFF are you doin! i was like uhhm starting it and he was all mad and yelled at me why i shouldn't do it .. i was like 10 lol

yeah that sounds to me like a good way to throw the rod through the case lol.

vett_09
06-20-2007, 05:16 AM
You can heat seize the piston if it's not warmed up properly. The piston expands faster than the sleeve and can actually lock the engine up when you just jump on and take off. Like everyone else said, feel for the heat coming off the engine and rev it at low RPM's until warm.

2old2race
06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
never lust let is idle during. always very the RPM. but don't rev it to the moon either. just lower RPM, don;t lug it. wait till it s warm, you can feel heat from the cylinder.

:confused:

casey_lamm
06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I just got one of these myself. How long is the normal warm up time. The manual warns about damage to the carb with over use of choke...

So what is the best start up procedure. It also says not to use the throttle during the start up, but I find I need to hold it just a hair open for better starting.

Originally posted by vett_09
You can heat seize the piston if it's not warmed up properly. The piston expands faster than the sleeve and can actually lock the engine up when you just jump on and take off. Like everyone else said, feel for the heat coming off the engine and rev it at low RPM's until warm.

vett_09
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
I just got one of these myself. How long is the normal warm up time. The manual warns about damage to the carb with over use of choke...

So what is the best start up procedure. It also says not to use the throttle during the start up, but I find I need to hold it just a hair open for better starting.

It kind of depends on where you live. In warmer climate, you may not need to choke it at all. Usually when I start mine it's on full choke. Once it fires, I move it to half choke and let it warm up that way. I don't really know how long I let it idle, I just feel for the heat coming off the engine. Once it's warm, I take it off choke and rev it a couple of times to make sure it doesn't miss and it's nice and warm. It only takes a few minutes for it to warm up properly.

Just make sure you don't let it run at idle for too long. Remember, it's air cooled.

400exrapes
06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
well it feels like my quad doesnt accelerate as fast as normal latley so i was wondering if it had something to do with the warmup. it feels like when im riding im revving the quad up but its not going any faster does that make sense and if so can someone help me out?

casey_lamm
06-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Keep in mind I haven't had my quad very long, but what you are describing sounds like a fuel/air mixture type of problem. When was the last time you checked you air filter?

Also sounds like you might be slightly rich. Have you checked your spark plug or changed it lately?

These are just my ideas, but im a noobie with this bike.

well it feels like my quad doesnt accelerate as fast as normal latley so i was wondering if it had something to do with the warmup. it feels like when im riding im revving the quad up but its not going any faster does that make sense and if so can someone help me out?

Barrymaxx
06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Usually what I do is pull my quad off the trailer and start it up.

Then I let it idle as im putting all my gear on (boots, helmet, chest protector, etc..)

That usually takes 5-8 minutes. So its already warm when Im ready to ride.

400exrapes
06-21-2007, 10:02 PM
well i cleaned the carb today and i let it warm up for like 6 minutes excactly before i rode and it rode real nice ill clean the spark plug cause my jetting is perfect or as close to perfect as possible at 40 pilot and 150 main, i just cleaned the air filter too but i also just did an oil change and its really one of my first oil changes on this machine and it overfilled at the tank and alot of the drains got messy so if it had anything to do with oil as well let me know, thanks

TYayo420
06-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by my88r
after shuting the ckoke off keep the throttle on a little bite. i know on my 250r i wait intill i feel the cylinder warm up.

thats a 2 stroke tho you have to give her gas to keep her runnin on start up, right when a thumper is started its not good to keep on the gas, theres no oil in the top end like there is a smoker, let it idle before you givce it gas atleast 2 mins min. what will it hurt? if it wont idle (a 4 stroke) then it needs to be re jetted.

TYayo420
06-21-2007, 10:32 PM

shift to the next gear! lol jk

TYayo420
06-21-2007, 10:37 PM
well if you over fill your oil, which i done before to a tiberwolf, that makes the motor bog out too, like if it says 2.25 quarts and you put 2.75 or 3 in it, that might bog it out too like it did my timberwolf.

400exrapes
06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
ran good today i cleaned the carb with a friend and i let it sit in idle for 6 minutes and it rode great all day

250x_kyle
06-22-2007, 09:09 PM
how long have you had it. maybe you are just getting use to the acceleration. when i first bought my 400 i thought it has alot better acceleration then it seemed like it hesitated but it was just that i got used to it

400exrapes
06-23-2007, 05:42 AM
thats another reason that i got usedto the acclereation probably ive had it for like 6 months now but with some problems and fixing things ive only ridden for like 2 1/2