PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Broken?

400exrapes
06-19-2007, 07:16 PM
a friend bumped into me from behind and when i was checking to see everything i was leaking brake fluid from the backa nd when i would hit the back brakemore leacked out until there was none left and now the back brake doesnt work. Someone said something about a bearing or seal in there broken? if someone can send me a link of what i need to buy or what the name of it is, thanks.

JOEX
06-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
a friend bumped into me from behind and when i was checking to see everything i was leaking brake fluid from the backa nd when i would hit the back brakemore leacked out until there was none left and now the back brake doesnt work. Someone said something about a bearing or seal in there broken? if someone can send me a link of what i need to buy or what the name of it is, thanks.
Where exactly was the fluid leaking from?

400exrapes
06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
it was leaking from the whole mount that holds the back brake pads

Sparky_20
06-20-2007, 01:07 AM
check the brake line. if thats ok then it sounds like you either need to rebuild or replace the brake caliper.

400exrapes
06-20-2007, 05:47 AM
i think one guy said that theres a bearing underneat the pads and that it was broken and i should replace that the caliper looks fine

EX LONERIDER
06-20-2007, 06:09 AM
theres no bearings in your caliper.... just your piston and o-ring seal. take your caliper appart and youll see what we're talking about.

400exrapes
06-20-2007, 10:49 AM
alright when you said piston and oring i got a little confused but il;l take my caliper off and what part do i need to buy now? and where can i get just the little bit of brake fluid

EX LONERIDER
06-20-2007, 11:03 AM
take it appart first and inspect everything. if you have a clymers manual this will make it a great deal easier.

once you have the caliper out, you can pull the piston out of the housing followed by the o-ring seal.

edit. on second thought, before you do all that, why dont you get us a picture and outline where its leaking from. that'd help too instead of sending you off on a blind search.

JOEX
06-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER

edit. on second thought, before you do all that, why dont you get us a picture and outline where its leaking from. that'd help too instead of sending you off on a blind search.
That's why asked for an exact location of the leak rather than 'the whole thing is leaking'. It'll be hard to tell now that most or all the fluid has leaked out and is covering the whole caliper.

I'd guess the leak was either from where the line connects to the caliper or from the bleeder valve since it appears they are the most vulerable parts from a read end collison.

400exrapes
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
alright ill try to get a picture the digitale camera is broken but i'll still try but I found out that i have a whoel nac's caliper and on the left side of the caliper theres a nac's sign and it was either there it wasleaking from or above there where there is a metal thing that had a rubber seal over it but it was ripped/torn when i looked at it

TYayo420
06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
a little bit of break fluid? just go to wall world or a auto parts store, pick up car break fluid its the same crap, its 3 bucks or so for a good size container never hhurts to get more for when u need it say on a sunday when craps closed ya know??

your friend bumped you, have him pay to get it fixed or have him do it, i know if i did that id pay for it or do it if i could myself, its only right and the nice thing to do ya know? he shoulda offered.

400exrapes
06-22-2007, 08:53 PM
he made it as i shouldnt have stopped but he shoulda been looking but its fine its worse for him he hit my unstopable axle as well and rolled in the street bent his handlebars rim brake handle and put a small hole in a tread on hsi brand new gncc's so 3 bucks is nothing but if i pour more brake fluid into the container it will just leak back out.

JOEX
06-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
alright ill try to get a picture the digitale camera is broken but i'll still try but I found out that i have a whoel nac's caliper and on the left side of the caliper theres a nac's sign and it was either there it wasleaking from or above there where there is a metal thing that had a rubber seal over it but it was ripped/torn when i looked at it
It's probably just a Nacs block off plate.

The little metal thing is sounds like the bleeder valve. It's either broken or it came loose. Should be an easy fix.

JOEX
06-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420
a little bit of break fluid? just go to wall world or a auto parts store, pick up car break fluid its the same crap, its 3 bucks or so for a good size container never hhurts to get more for when u need it say on a sunday when craps closed ya know??

your friend bumped you, have him pay to get it fixed or have him do it, i know if i did that id pay for it or do it if i could myself, its only right and the nice thing to do ya know? he shoulda offered.
You don't want to keep brake fluid on the shelf for very long, it absorbs moisture from the air which can cause problems with the braking system.

400exrapes
06-23-2007, 02:15 PM
lol anyways does anyone know how i can fix the caliper?