PDA

View Full Version : Cars for kids accident. Selmer TN

gncc025
06-19-2007, 04:37 PM
This is very sad. A local youth ministers girlfriend was killed in the incident I was told. CRAZY STUFF.:(

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3287786

here is the vid of what happened.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FvjHEgo8I10"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FvjHEgo8I10" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

sly400ex
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I heard about this on the news the other day, 6 dead last I heard. What in the F^CK is a car like that doing running down a street like that for. I understand it was part of a parade/exhibition, but dam.

It's one thing to sit there and maybe do a small brake torque, but that guy looks like he was going for a quick e/t!:mad:

jeenyus_360
06-19-2007, 05:30 PM
hey definatly should have let off sooner, they cant be messing around with cars like that...theres not even guard rails

honda4life72
06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
them cars can't hook up on a normal road like they do on drag stipps , and the "pro" driver knew that so why was he doin what he was doiN?

450raider
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
yeah while i dont live in or anywhere near selmer tn, its still all over my local news and the parts i find insane is as said earlier no guardrails and they said the dude driving has been arrested before for drunk driving long ago, now hating drunk drivers the way i do (my personal opinions) is that when they get caught the first time they should just be shot and save taxpayers and families later on down the road. but with things the way they are he shoulda had his license taken away at least.

NPelletier
06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
he should have been just driving down the road, maybe with the body propped up or something jest rreving it.im srry for what haplened but hes an idiot for thinking he can do a 100mph burnout in a crouded street with noting but tape inbetween him and the croud and it be safe...shame on him and RIP for those who were killed

firefighterjosh
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Why blame it on the driver? He is a pro, something could have broke?, Maybe throttle stuck? Who ever said he could do it is at blame. Should have had more protection or kept people away.

07250ex
06-19-2007, 11:04 PM
i don't understand what happend?

CRich[814]
06-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex

same. i think pro dragger was suppose to just go around. smoke the tires. rev the motor. and he just lite up the tires too far and a few people were in the road.

gncc025
06-19-2007, 11:12 PM
yeah there is a lot of contreversy on if the driver is to balme or not. theres even talk about trying to sue the city.

gncc025
06-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex

I dont think anyone does:ermm:

whiteboycustom
06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
thats just sad..... if they wanted to parade the car around have it pulled by a truck or golf cart or something....poor planning on the city or whoever organized the parade, thats like sayin hey everyone gather around and watch us set this hand grenade off

slightly modded street/strip car doing burnouts alot better then a top fuel dragster

just the stupidity of people amaze the hell out of me

Ghost-Rider
06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
This was on the news a couple days ago.Really i dont think its all the drivers fault.People need to be a little more aware of whats going on so they can move a little quicker if something were to go wrong and im sure he didnt do it on purpose so i think theres a good chance of a mechanical problem or somthing of the likes.

whiteboycustom
06-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
This was on the news a couple days ago.Really i dont think its all the drivers fault.People need to be a little more aware of whats going on so they can move a little quicker if something were to go wrong and im sure he didnt do it on purpose so i think theres a good chance of a mechanical problem or somthing of the likes.

yea alittle quicker to move huh? u have a large crowd and a speeding NHRA DRAGSTER capable of 1000+ hp speeding at u, just how fast do u think ur gonna move, we all know its not the drivers fault he didnt run into them on purpose

from the news story:
The crash occurred Saturday night during an "exhibition burnout" when a driver spins his tires to make them smoke at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.

he was there doing a burnout for the kids but he should of not rode it out instead just of kept the line lock on and burnout in one place, slicks on the road is not a good combonation

Quad18star
06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
WTF was the driver thinking . :mad:

Unless the throttle stuck on him , he should have known better than to do a burnout that extensive . The street ain't a place to be doing an exhibition burnout/run ... especially not when there's a ton of people standing around and no guardrails to protect.

I feel bad for all the families involved.

initall
06-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Why was it there on an open road especally with no gaurd rails. I would never stand that close to a car like that doing a burnout. If that was a true funny car you are talking like 5000 horse. that is to much horspower in a non controlled enviorment. that should have been at a dragstrip. Or at a better location with gaurdrails and the people should not have been allowed to get that close. If anyone has been to a dragstrip that is common sence.

I had a 5.0 mustang with 400-450 horsepower at the wheels. That is alot for the road, a funny car on the road that is just insane

zarquon442
06-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by initall
Why was it there on an open road especally with no gaurd rails. I would never stand that close to a car like that doing a burnout. If that was a true funny car you are talking like 5000 horse. that is to much horspower in a non controlled enviorment. that should have been at a dragstrip. Or at a better location with gaurdrails and the people should not have been allowed to get that close. If anyone has been to a dragstrip that is common sence.

I had a 5.0 mustang with 400-450 horsepower at the wheels. That is alot for the road, a funny car on the road that is just insane

I agree. That car should not have even been started.

blue150
06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
what a shame should of never been allowed to happened

SGA
06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

Unless the throttle stuck on him , he should have known better than to do a burnout that extensive . The street ain't a place to be doing an exhibition burnout/run ... especially not when there's a ton of people standing around and no guardrails to protect.

I agree, He used BAD judgement and should pay the price for doing so. Jail time for sure.
Im sure hes a nice guy and all but he killed six people and crippled a few others for the rest of thier life.

<DRS>GPF
06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

exactly..
any number of things couldve and did wrong and that was whole bunch of machine to keep under control..
he and the sponser/event organizer are to blame..

though im sure they feel god awful about the whole thing..

Quad18star
06-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I agree, He used BAD judgement and should pay the price for doing so. Jail time for sure.
Im sure hes a nice guy and all but he killed six people and crippled a few others for the rest of thier life.

The news said the driver can't believe it happened . In a way I feel bad for the guy , because no one goes out there and says " Hey today I'm gunna run this car into a crowd and kill people" ... but being a professional driver , better judgement should have been used .

I'm pretty sure I know what was going through his mind when he did the burnout ... he was probably excited at the fact that there was a ton of people around .. many of which were probably cheering him on to do the burnout ... and as we all know , we can sometimes be influenced to do things that we know we shouldn't .

The street doesn't offer nearly as much traction as the track . Atleast at the track , your front tires will stick a bit harder because of the rezin (?) and rubber that's been layed down . The street is just like a sheet of ice . I've done it in a car pushing around 500HP , and the line lock didn't hold well . Being a funny car with well over 1000 hp , that line lock wouldn't do chit as seen in the video.

I think there will be jail time handed down . I would hate to see the guy go away for the rest of his life , because we know it wasn't purposely done . This guy is going to have this on his conscience for the rest of his life ... but a punishement does need to be handed down. Parade organizers are just as much to blame for this also and should be punished equally.

gncc025
06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
I heard on my local news a while ago that jail time is questionable. I dont really know what should happen to the guy but i am sure that he is getting punished at this very moment thinking about those people killed in the accident. that cant feel good at all.

SGA
06-23-2007, 01:28 AM
You are right. Jail time or not, im sure not a day will go by for the rest of his life that he doesnt think about what happened and feel bad about it.

wilkin250r
06-23-2007, 07:43 AM
I think it was TOTALLY the driver's fault, and he should have the book thrown at him.

A burn-out is one thing. You can smoke the tires and still move less than 10 yards. In a parade-setting, this would make a impressive (yet fairly safe) demonstration.

But to do an actual exhibition of speed? Completely unsafe, even at 3/4 speed. Absolutely rediculous. In that setting, with people that close and guard rails that short, he should never have gone over 20mph groundspeed. Stupid stupid stupid.

And for a professional driver, I can't believe it was an accident. Even if the throttle stuck, he would have the wits and reflexes to push the clutch and let the engine rev while he applied the brakes.

ECATV Raptor
06-23-2007, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by initall

I had a 5.0 mustang with 400-450 horsepower at the wheels. That is alot for the road, a funny car on the road that is just insane [/QUOTE/]

A local town of mine use to have drag trucks race down main street with hundereds of people standing on the side walk. That was scary having big rigs flyin by you a couple feet away. It definitley shouldnt be the drivers fault