PDA

View Full Version : were can you get.....

josh
10-20-2002, 04:07 PM
hey guys, i gots probs with my 91 250x, it has a unifilter with holes drilled in the top of the box, the rest stock, the thing has run absolutley great the past year, ya know, i was able to ride all day in the dunes with no problems, but now i just installed this "cobra jet" exhaust system and the bike runs like crap, i ran it in the local desert area out here just for fun and it overheated in 45 min and shut off on a high speed straight away, the guy at the counter said no jettin required with that pipe but i didn't believe him after my bike overheats so fast, so i tried goin from a 122 main to a 130 on the jet and went to a track out here to practice and ride around and about 3/4 way through the first lap it overheates and almost turns off and starts to feel like there is no compression. so i took it off the track and put a 142 main in it cuz it was still takin a while to warm up and i fig it was still lean, after i let the quad cool off i started it up with the 142 main and it sounded alot better with much better throttle response, so i took it for a lap and i got about 1/4 through the lap and the damn thing over heats and does the same thing, so i take it off and let it cool, and try to start it up to put on the trailer and the thing hardly runs at all and won't rev and sounds and feels like it's trying to stay running but has no compression.

so i think i blew the rings and piston with that new exhaust cuz it has a larger header than orig and i guess it makes the bike run a lot hotter, so does anyone have any suggestions or advice on were i could get a new piston and rings for cheap, i don't care if it's aftermarket or not, i just don't want to bore out, and i want something that will work fine and reliably, any suggest will be taken into consideration.

josh

methyman
10-20-2002, 05:45 PM
It sounds like you might have torched the top end in it. Do a compression test and compare it to what the manuall has. I bet its time for a overhaul. Never listen to sales people, they think they know it all, but the dont know sh**. I recomend that you call the pipe company and ask them what they recomend for jetting. Good luck !!!

MeatHead
10-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Check your fuel line, make sure it is not clogged with anything. Also check the air boot between the carb and head. One will give you too much air the other will cause not enough fuel. Either condition can cause it to run to hot. Good luck.

josh
10-20-2002, 08:16 PM
a few problems, don't have a manual and don't know how to do a compression test, also when i changed the jet's i took the gas tank out to get to the carb and nothing wrong in that department, and the unifilter does a good job of cleaning so there is no dirt or anything in the tunnel's from the box to the carb to the motor, when you start the bike up it won't rev period, it sounds like it does when it is really cold and you try to floor it, it just kind of stutters and stuff, but it won't even warm up and i could hardly keep it running let alone barely got it on my trailer, i don't know, maybe i will just pull it apart and put a new piston and rings and gaskets throughout the top end, but that is goin to cost alot, and takes away from a quad i wanted to buy once i sell mine. i don't know, i am so freekin mad cuz the guy at the counter there is always wrong about everything, but he said he looked through the book and saw nothing about jetting with the cobra system, i guess i will just try calling cobra and tell them there pipe ruined my top end of the motor and i want some solid facts on how to jet the damn thing, being a pissed off customer always helps you get your way with big corporations;)