PDA

View Full Version : yfz450 or 450r

Boweman
06-19-2007, 10:09 AM
ok, i came off a 125cc dirt bike and i was pretty good but i switched to 4 wheelers just for something new. i traded traded it for a 300ex because i was not sure how i would do but it turns out i am faster on my 4 wheeler, i feel like i am extremely fast i am faster on my 13 horsepower 4 wheeler than i was on my 35 horsepower dirt bike. i have only had my 300 for about a month but i think i need something bigger. i have been working for a while and i am now thinking by the end of summer i am going to try to get a 450. i am going to sell my 300 for about 2000, and i am going to have about 1500-2000 saved up by the end of summer. i am going to try to buy a 450 for about 3500-4000. i ride alot of trails and some mx. i was planning on racing both mx and offroad. mostly offroad but i do enjoy mx alot. i am 5'4 and 110. i love to ride and ride alot, i do wheelies and jump and go really fast so i need the bike a reliable bike and a bike that will stand up to some big jumps. my concern with the 450r is that the kickstart is pretty awkward for me being that i am short, i cant get to big of a kick on it. i am used to kickstarts but not the forward kick type. i am pretty sure that the 04 yfz450 is elec. start. so which would be the best overall bike for me?

jshtex
06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
All yfz's come as electric start, you can convert them to kicker. The 06 and up R's were available with electric start.

In 04 we went from an ex to the yfz just because of the electric start. Then three years later when we retired the yfz (after lots of wins...) I got a great deal on an 05 R that our sponsor still had in a crate. I was a little worried about the kick start, but my son has gotten the holeshot in all but one race on the new bike.

Truthfully you should try to ride both of them and then get the one you like. Either one is capable of winning a race with a good rider.

BlaineKaiser450
06-19-2007, 07:04 PM
i was in a similar situation as you and went with an 04 450r and couldnt be happier. I am 5'5 and 115 pounds and i race mx and go fast and all of that stuff and i switched from a 250x to the 450r so i recommend that but its really just rider preference. The kick is fine and easy to start. Im only 13 and i can easily start it with no problem at all.

pro-rider46
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM
i am 5'10" 216 pounds and 14 yrs old. the quad fits me perfectly. it is my first quad and it jsut feels great on me. my friend who is 5'6 160 pounds and 14 yrs old rides a yfz and when i ride it it seems a little small and like riding on top of it. but it fits him great. and the f***er is FAST. but he has a good bit of parts on it.

i think you should test ride both and see which one you like better because you are the one riding it... no one on here is.

Boweman
06-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
i was in a similar situation as you and went with an 04 450r and couldnt be happier. I am 5'5 and 115 pounds and i race mx and go fast and all of that stuff and i switched from a 250x to the 450r so i recommend that but its really just rider preference. The kick is fine and easy to start. Im only 13 and i can easily start it with no problem at all.

alright, i have not rode a yfz at all but i heard they are faster and better overall race bikes. i am glad to hear you can start the 450r just fine because i have rode 3 450rs 2 e start and 1 kick with upped compression pipe cam and everything and i could not start that one very well(this was 3 years ago) well i am going to try to find a yfz and ride it, i think the dealer by my house has used 06.

BlaineKaiser450
06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Boweman
alright, i have not rode a yfz at all but i heard they are faster and better overall race bikes. i am glad to hear you can start the 450r just fine because i have rode 3 450rs 2 e start and 1 kick with upped compression pipe cam and everything and i could not start that one very well(this was 3 years ago) well i am going to try to find a yfz and ride it, i think the dealer by my house has used 06. i have heard that the yfz is also a harder bike to ride and the 450r is very easy. the only thing with the 450r is that you have to change the oil a lot (every hard ride) because it has a very small oil tank.

400exrider707
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
i have heard that the yfz is also a harder bike to ride and the 450r is very easy. the only thing with the 450r is that you have to change the oil a lot (every hard ride) because it has a very small oil tank.

It doesn't have an oil tank. There is oil in the motor and then just the cooler, but no external oil tank like the 400ex.

I like the firs reply, very honest. It's hard getting an unbiased opinion out of a dominantly Honda website in the 450R section.

TRX450RACER174
06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Like everyone else said it's all preference! I have rode both and i like both but i chose to buy a HONDA, i just fit me better i am very tall so it was more comfortable for me, if the yfz felt better to me i probably would of bought one, these days i don't think you can go wrong with either one just ride them both and find out which one feels better to you, each one has there good and bad points.

Boweman
06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
i think i really need to ride a yfz, everyone that is short has liked it and the taller people seem to dislike it. i am that at 5'4 i fall into the shorter catagory.

07250ex
06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
IMO i find the yfz to be dominant in all areas but its so close that you really can't go wrong either way i just find the yfz to be a better quad also i think it looks much better

Cotton26
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Concerning YFZ vs. 450R I'd definitely go with the 450R.

As far as your personal riding style goes, the TRX400EX in my opinion would be a much better choice for yourself.

If you're wondering why I'm suggesting the TRX400EX, here's my own quote in a "TRX400EX vs. 450R" thread:

Originally posted by Cotton26
The TRX450R was designed to be a motocross/racing quad. Don't get me wrong it will still hold its own on trails, but the engine of the 450R does not like, I mean HATES to lug down and go slow, which is going to cause you to do a lot of annoying clutch work on trails.

The 450R is a revving quad so it's going to be faster in the higher RPM's where the 400EX has its speed in the lower RPM's.

The TRX400EX is an all around awesome quad. It's great on trails, and it can still really open up and rip on the track. The 400EX is also much more forgiving, you can totally abuse the crap out of it and it will still run great.

Also replacement parts are much more expensive for the 450R. Parts that are $2 for the 400EX will run you $12 for the 450R, and with the 450R in maybe 4 years you might have to do an engine rebuild. And maintence wise, the 450R is liquid cooled which is great for cooling, but it's one more major thing for you to maintain, and generally the 450R needs a lot of maitence everywhere.

I would say get the 400EX unless you are soley riding tracks and or deserts.

And by the way there's an electric starter version of the 450R.

Boweman
06-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Cotton26
Concerning YFZ vs. 450R I'd definitely go with the 450R.

As far as your personal riding style goes, the TRX400EX in my opinion would be a much better choice for yourself.

If you're wondering why I'm suggesting the TRX400EX, here's my own quote in a "TRX400EX vs. 450R" thread:

And by the way there's an electric starter version of the 450R.

but i have rode 400exs and it just isnt as fast as i would like, and the clutch is no worry, i am used to a 125cc dirt bike, that is much more clutch work than this can possibly be. i would rather have a high revving bike because i am going to be racing at some point.

BlaineKaiser450
06-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
It doesn't have an oil tank. There is oil in the motor and then just the cooler, but no external oil tank like the 400ex.

I like the firs reply, very honest. It's hard getting an unbiased opinion out of a dominantly Honda website in the 450R section. right i just forgot that it didnt have a tank

Cotton26
06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Boweman
but i have rode 400exs and it just isnt as fast as i would like, and the clutch is no worry, i am used to a 125cc dirt bike, that is much more clutch work than this can possibly be. i would rather have a high revving bike because i am going to be racing at some point.

Alright well if you feel that way, it's your decision.