PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Frieght Tools!

firefighterjosh
06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyone else addicted to them?

Harbor Frieght (http://www.harborfreight.com/)

So many great prices. Maybe not the best quality but some of the stuff really isnt too bad.

MO-EX-RIDER
06-18-2007, 07:49 PM
their catalog is huge! prices look decent, but their quality is low??

firefighterjosh
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
their catalog is huge! prices look decent, but their quality is low??

I think its a hit and miss.

My dad works on semi trailers (well now he is a sup and dosen't) but he bought a impact and chisel impact from there. The chisel impact broke after 2 days and the impact has lasted 2 years. He said its almost as good as his snap on and was 1/4 the price

But for most at home shops IMO these tools are great!

79400ex
06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
We have a store in the town I work in.

KXRida
06-18-2007, 11:11 PM
yep, we have a harbor freight in town. Great prices. I got a shop press for like $80. That's how I press all of my wheel bearings in. I'm about done with craftsman tools now. I only like them for the warranty, other than that, they're over priced.

firefighterjosh
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
yep, we have a harbor freight in town. Great prices. I got a shop press for like $80. That's how I press all of my wheel bearings in. I'm about done with craftsman tools now. I only like them for the warranty, other than that, they're over priced.

I am going to get a press thursday from them:D

YFZ450Ridr
06-19-2007, 12:09 AM
ah you gota watch what you buy there sometimes but they have fantastic prices! we got a bundle of 1000 diferent sorted zip ties for 2 bucks during a sale they had a while ago. we snagged a really nice air ratchet for about 40 bucks i think with air fittings and a few adapters. we also bought this 10 dollar impact wrench but our air ratchet has as much torque as it:p stuff thier is either cheaply made or great in quality, i dont think weve found an inbetween yet.

54warrior
06-19-2007, 06:57 AM
I'd say it's a 80/20 split between cheap stuff that's low quality and good stuff that works well and lasts awhile and is still cheap.

Most of the stuff I buy there thinking: "Well, if I use this once, and it breaks, it was only a few bucks, so it was worth it"

bwamos
06-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I buy a lot of "field tools" there.

I have a toolbox of "cheap tools". If I lose them or break them, who cares. ;)

The good tools stay in the garage. I even have a lot of their tools for my main tools. A $0.75 combo wrench works just as good as a $6 combo wrench in 99.9% of all situations.
25 piece metric & SAE combo wrench set:
Pittsburg = $18.99
Craftsman = $149.98

They have great cheap tools, and some really cruddy cheap tools also. But, for the most part I've been pleasantly supprised.

I bought their Storehouse 3-tier roller tool cabinet a few years ago. Great cabinet, and a hell of a LOT cheaper than the Craftsman, or Snap-on counterpart. Excelent cabinet. I haven't even managed to chip the crinkle powdercoat yet. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39421

rcer450r
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
An awsome place and well worth stopping in!

parkers30
06-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Most of the stuff I buy there thinking: "Well, if I use this once, and it breaks, it was only a few bucks, so it was worth it"

thats the kind of stuff I buy there too. Also buy things like engine hoists, stands, presses, jacks, things that you really can't mess up making them.

GPracer2500
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior

exactly

250r4life
06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
harbor freight is great... it cracks me up some of the stuff they sell there- really random... i was in there a week or 2 ago, and they had several metal detector wand things for sale... like to check people for guns... now what average citizen that goes to harbor freight has a need for that kind of metal detector?