PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a 450R, a few questions

racerx573
06-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Found a place with some leftover 2005's..

So just a few questions for some guys running them..

Obviously going to set it up for MX..

Going JB LT front end (or Pro Trax, if I can afford it after getting the quad) and LT rear end with Fox Shox..

Going with a full Tag stem/bar set up (sponsored, so I get a killer price).

Putting '08 white plastic on it.. white Quad Tech scoop..

Team Axle, Hipers, Pirelli tires.

Now for the questions..

What kind of oil is the best for the TRX? I have a case of Bel-Ray 20-50 Thumper that I run in my YZ hybrid (has a wet sump kit)...

Will I need the '08 air box with '08 plastic? How about tank, etc..

How about cams? I was just going to get the CRF450 cam for it..unless the stock '05 will suffice with power?

Carb? Should I get the CRF kit? Or keep the stock with a jet kit??

I am going to have a full VPS engine, should I go Wiseco, CP, or JE piston?

Motor work is going to be last on the last, but looking for some future reference..

Going to go with IMS pegs w/ STD AC nerfs, AC blackline bumper, and grab bars.

Where do these frames typically break at? I'll be getting gussetted (if needed) and powdercoated..

Does anyone have pics of the AC Blackline nerfs without heelguards installed??

Just trying to get an idea of this machine before I start building it once I make the purchase.

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't screw around building stuff, if you've ever seen my 250R and Hybrid.. it's gonna have mostly the same kinds of parts and look as those..

pro-rider46
06-18-2007, 10:23 PM
hey i am just curious to see were you are getting the 05. i got mine a mosites motorsports near greensburg for 5100 otd.

the frame tends to break at the shock areas sometimes. i would contact bare performance they can powdercoat it and gusset it for like 375,

racerx573
06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
I found a place out of state.. 51 out the door is damn good price, I will have to get in touch and see if they have anymore left. I am gonna have VPS do all my gussetting and powdercoating.

pro-rider46
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah but i think they went up a little bit, which doesnt make sense but they still are extremly cheap. plus going there will save you a trip out off state. if you pick up a bike,boat and rv trader they have a lot of advirtising in there.

toll free 1-888-764-9233
hours mon. - thur 10-7
fri. 10-5 sat. 10-3

www.mositesmotorsports.com

Chino886
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
Putting '08 white plastic on it.. white Quad Tech scoop..

Now for the questions..

What kind of oil is the best for the TRX? I have a case of Bel-Ray 20-50 Thumper that I run in my YZ hybrid (has a wet sump kit)...

Will I need the '08 air box with '08 plastic? How about tank, etc..

How about cams? I was just going to get the CRF450 cam for it..unless the stock '05 will suffice with power?

Carb? Should I get the CRF kit? Or keep the stock with a jet kit??

I am going to have a full VPS engine, should I go Wiseco, CP, or JE piston?

Motor work is going to be last on the last, but looking for some future reference..

Going to go with IMS pegs w/ STD AC nerfs, AC blackline bumper, and grab bars.

Where do these frames typically break at? I'll be getting gussetted (if needed) and powdercoated..

Does anyone have pics of the AC Blackline nerfs without heelguards installed??

Just trying to get an idea of this machine before I start building it once I make the purchase.

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't screw around building stuff, if you've ever seen my 250R and Hybrid.. it's gonna have mostly the same kinds of parts and look as those..

I am not for sure but if you plan on using the 08 plastics, then I am guessing you will need a 08 tank as the design of the plastic/tank changed (smaller tank) I am sure the air box will be fine as they attach to the sub-frame and are independent of the plastics (at least on the 06s).

Oils.........There are lots of peeps out there running Rotella 15w-40 or 5w-40 with lots of success! Just use something good on engine side and something without moly on clutch side.

Cams........HRC or WEB 943 cams would be my choices! HRC for MX for sure, smooth rideable powerband that is broad!

Carb.........As you know from riding the YZ hybrid, the FCR is my personal favorite as far as carbs go, but the OEM on the 04-05s is not too shabby!

Pistons..........In my worthless opinion, as often as you are supposed to change the piston in these 450Rs, you can't go wrong with any of the pistons! Powerwise, I have not seen a noticeable difference on the dyno one way or the other.

Motor Work.........There are lots of shops that are doing good work on the 450Rs (DASA, Rage, Venom, ATP, MMAD, WPP Racing, Sparks, Ron Hamp etc.......) Those are some I have seen (Some will pick and choose, but its like buying a car, you will pick what you want based on what you feel is important)

Frame/Gusset...........I have seen most common breaks on the top frame cross member, around the fronts upper shock mounts, and the a-arms mounts............I think BARE makes a good kit, but I have not had mine done yet!

Good luck with the build, I am sure it will be sick!

DISCLAIMER: CHINO886 DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL HE IS TALKING ABOUT, NOR IS HE ENDORSING ANY COMPANIES PRODUCTS OR HIS OWN ABILITIES TO WORK ON A QUAD!
:devil:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/chino886/DSC00256.jpg