PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Farabomb
06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I just bought a 01 400EX from a friend. I has a few things on it. K&N+outerwears, rear hub extensions, nerf bars, skid plate, DWT fronts, and a twist grip that's going in the garbage tonight.

Now for the questions:
1: Anything I should look out for when going back to the thumb throttle or is it just remove and replace?

2: Brakes. Needs them. I was going to order from rocky mt. but in my experience EBC sucks the bag. Used them once on my racecar and I will never use them again. Tusk afaik is rebranded EBC so it's stock or galfer.

3: Clutch has a really hard pull compared to my 200x and a friend's 300ex. I did lube the cable as best I could and it seemed to get slightly better. Not a bad issue but would like to change it if there is a easy (and cheap) fix. Could be stronger springs, I really don't know if they were done.

Other than that the bike is great. I have my eyes on a pipe and a rejet but that'll probaly not happen till winter. I see mention of the parking block off plate a lot here. Seems the parking brake makes the caliper drag the pads so I may get that when I order the pads.

If anyone has any other things I should look for please let me know.

Thanks
-Alex

Rip_Tear
06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Check out the swing-arm bolt, see if it comes out, lube it up etc. I get SBS heavy duty brake pads, they seem to be alright...

jokester
06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
the clutch on the 400 is naturally stiffer than pretty much anything. there's not really anything you can do for that besides buying one of those hydraulic clutches. at least thats all I know of that would be your best bet if you want a softer pull.

Farabomb
06-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear the clutch is normally hard. Was a little worried about that. I'll check the swingarm bolt when I'm screwing around with the thumb throttle.

TYayo420
06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
haha did the twist grip throttle mae it to the trash last night?

Farabomb
06-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Nope. Still haven't tackled that yet. I don't mind them on bikes but quads are a different story.