PDA

View Full Version : 50cc compression

ww228king
06-18-2007, 04:15 PM
what psi reading are you guys getting on your 50cc? I am showing 145psi. What is the most you can get, with out messing up anything?

etondaddy
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Never go over 190 psi. Hell on Kyle's 90 thats right were I need to be about 140 psi with the exhaust port hogged way out. It took the holeshot at High Point against Mcconnell in the 90 cvt class (second moto) he didn't hold it but he got a 2-2 for a 2 overall. They say compression's the poor man's horsepower but I'm not big on high compression.

This is the view ten out of twelve had lol lol just kiddin we're still so fired up about Kyle's first National.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/1.jpg

etondaddy
06-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks to wvspeedfreak heres the holeshot I was talking about thanks Jason

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/wvspeedfreak/highpoint22.jpg

ww228king
06-18-2007, 07:32 PM
wow...yeah he did have a jump on them!

wvspeedfreak
06-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy
Thanks to wvspeedfreak heres the holeshot I was talking about thanks Jason

You are more than welcome.That eton is running great and Kyle rips on it :macho

WOLFPACK
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Never go over 190 psi. Hell on Kyle's 90 thats right were I need to be about 140 psi with the exhaust port hogged way out. It took the holeshot at High Point against Mcconnell in the 90 cvt class (second moto) he didn't hold it but he got a 2-2 for a 2 overall. They say compression's the poor man's horsepower but I'm not big on high compression.

This is the view ten out of twelve had lol lol just kiddin we're still so fired up about Kyle's first National.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/1.jpg
Kyle was looking awesome out there! He did awesome on the holeshot in the first moto also! Keep it up and we wish you luck!

Wolfpack

etondaddy
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks that means a lot coming from you guys. You should be very proud of Caston, the only word that comes to mind is smooth he makes it look effortless. We would love to race with you guys every week I think with a liquid top and some gearing we could get Kyle close enough where he could learn from Caston, he’s just so damn smooth.

Mike Kozura

etondaddy
06-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by WOLFPACK

Why are you going to Liquid?

It looks like all the new ones are liquid, Apex, DRR. Not sure about the hp gain. We just race D5 and Kyle is doing well I'm not changing a thing. We just try to keep the top and clutchs as fresh as possible.

WOLFPACK
06-20-2007, 03:06 PM
We were fortunate to be able to sponsor Caston this year. The most amazing thing about this kid is he's always in a great mood and smiling!

Come by and meet him at the next race. He'd love to talk with Kyle i'm sure.

Why are you going to Liquid?

Thanks, Shane

WOLFPACK
06-20-2007, 04:41 PM
It looks like all the new ones are liquid, Apex, DRR. Not sure about the hp gain. We just race D5 and Kyle is doing well I'm not changing a thing. We just try to keep the top and clutchs as fresh as possible. Liquid will probably be the way to go for next season but as of today air is where is it at.

There is a killer 70cc kit out that is liquid. Justin is having it made into a 90cc version but it won't be ready in time for this season.

we are testing a new style clutch right now and will know better next week. It looks real promising!

Shane
Wolfpack Racing

etondaddy
06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
You definitely have my attention........... if you can make Kyle's quad run like Caston's you may have a new customer, if you'll have us ? lol I believe he's using it all and I have no more to give him. Right now in the District it's fine but just like in any type of racing you always want to make it faster.

Mike Kozura

WOLFPACK
06-20-2007, 05:43 PM
You definitely have my attention........... if you can make Kyle's quad run like Caston's you may have a new customer, if you'll have us ? lol I believe he's using it all and I have no more to give him. Right now in the District it's fine but just like in any type of racing you always want to make it faster.

Mike Kozura We'll absolutely have you! Man we help anyone that asks/needs it! That is one of the reasons we aren't on here very often, we are usually covered up in work.

Give us a call anytime! We are on the phone usually the entire day. If you call and we don't answer just leave a message and we'll get right back to you.

Shane
Wolfpack Racing
(219)226-3215

i-zapp
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
the more radical your exhaust port gets, the worse your compression number will be since there's less trapped volume being squeezed into the head. if you want to build POWER, don't rely on compression psi numbers.

fyi, the liquid cooled bolt-on cyl we run only reads about 125psi on the gauge, but runs like a raped ape.

Full Throttle00
06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
The new DRR Water Cooled 50 & 70's are over 200psi stock.
Currently running Malossi stock head 70cc air cooled and turned it into high compression head. Stock is 145 psi, shaved head and now around 200 psi.
Way more snappy and pulled off the holeshot and 2 first place wins over ones with hetrick built motor last weekend.
I would say a great improvement.

nursemary
06-21-2007, 11:36 AM
did you mean this holeshot?

nursemary
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
or this holeshot? I believe that kids hetrick powered bike was back in ca, and he was on his backup

i-zapp
06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
125 psi
last four nationals, 8 out of 8 holeshots
just saying...

etondaddy
06-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Kyle’s raced High Point the last two weeks with three of four hole shots with a close second. Two weeks ago we cut both his jugs and heads to get 180 to 200psi compression that Saturday I worked 12 frickin hours on that thing and the only way I could get it to run was to stack five head gaskets. Got to the track and put a new stock head on it from my buddy. And it plain flew the last two weeks. Took compression yesterday and got like 117 cold and 100 hot. I’m afraid to touch it, it pulls the front wheels off the ground now. I have the other jug with a little more off the deck and new pistons, will see what it dos in the first moto this week. I guess it’s all in the exhaust port. And his lap times at High Point were 2:38 on the first lap Saturday to 2:36 on the last lap on Sunday. What do you guys think.

drr5
06-22-2007, 05:16 AM
youve just played with the port timing

wvspeedfreak
06-22-2007, 05:18 AM
What do you guys think.

I think I would leave it just like it is ;) Austin's 70cc Kasea has never been over 110psi and there are several people on here that can attest to how well it runs.I have thought about upping the compression on it several times but figured if it ain't broke,why fix it :p

etondaddy
06-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by drr5
youve just played with the port timing
We only cut the top of the jug. But I do use two base gaskets.

etondaddy
06-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I think I would leave it just like it is ;) Austin's 70cc Kasea has never been over 110psi and there are several people on here that can attest to how well it runs.I have thought about upping the compression on it several times but figured if it ain't broke,why fix it :p
I think your right!!!!!!!!!!

JustinBoots
10-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Okay so I have a question about the 50cc compression. Seems everyone has an opinion on the PSI and most appear to be different...anywhere from 110 to 200 PSI. What brand gauge are you using because I fond this weekend that when I checked our compression on a newly built motor one gauge (Equus from O'Reilly Auto) it reads 125PSI and when I check it with my buddy's Motion Pro gauge it reads 200PSI on the same engine. Obviously I can use either gauge to monitor engine life during the season, but sure wish there was a clear answer as to what PSI is correct using what brand gauge. We're running a stock ported cylinder on our bikes.

Full Throttle00
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nursemary
or this holeshot? I believe that kids hetrick powered bike was back in ca, and he was on his backup

Wow this is an old thread someone opened up & cleaned out the cobb-webs.
Funny u asked nursemary, never saw your posts until now but wasn't even talking about those, just local built ones.
But since we're on topic, do any of these say look familliar to you? :D

Full Throttle00
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Or this one,

JustinBoots
10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Alright I resurrected the topic with a question...not a trip down memory lane! :)

Full Throttle00
10-09-2011, 05:27 PM
sorry, those were some good'ol days.
Used snapon, and now less costly brand both with different as you've experienced. New should be ranging between 185-220 depending on the model year and if your build included increasing psi.

JustinBoots
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
sorry, those were some good'ol days.
Used snapon, and now less costly brand both with different as you've experienced. New should be ranging between 185-220 depending on the model year and if your build included increasing psi.

Awesome! Sounds like I better get a Motion Pro if I want to be near an acceptable readout for the engines. Only increase in PSI that was intentional was a late model higher compression head so sounds like I'm in the right spot with 200. Thanks and please continue the trip down memory lane. :D

Full Throttle00
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
You should be able to gain additional 20-25psi makes more hp

Christiansdad
10-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I bought a compression gauge at advanced auto parts and the compression on our 50 is at 90psi..brand new top end..plus the piston almost doesnt clears the plug...i stacked 2 .20 gaskets and the thin gasket that comes cylinders kits..I have a stuffer crank..but just shows you how off the cheap ones are

Full Throttle00
10-11-2011, 01:51 AM
have you mesaured your squish?

JustinBoots
10-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Christiansdad
I bought a compression gauge at advanced auto parts and the compression on our 50 is at 90psi..brand new top end..plus the piston almost doesnt clears the plug...i stacked 2 .20 gaskets and the thin gasket that comes cylinders kits..I have a stuffer crank..but just shows you how off the cheap ones are

Yeah I expected a discrepancy, but this just seems unacceptable. :(

JustinBoots
10-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
have you mesaured your squish?

Yes....I set it up right at .35 on the current engine using a shim kit. Not sure what it needs to be, just tried to barely clear the piston.

Christiansdad
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I set it up the same way justin boots set his up...just enofe to clear the spark plug.

Full Throttle00
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Forget about plug clearance until you get squish correct, you will shim the plug with spacers when done.

Make sure you have a handful of different base gasket thickness' and soft solder to set squish.

Torque head bolts

Measure the "squised solder with callipers

Make sure you measure at least both sides of piston, check it 2wice

27-32 thousands squish is comfortable range any higher like 35 will lag on bottom end. Tighter tolerances like 23-26 should have upgraded bearings crank, etc
good luck :macho