PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

ny300exrider
06-18-2007, 02:18 PM
heres the scoop(its gonna be long)

i sold my 05 450r about a month or so ago to some 25 year old kid. it had a bunch of real good mods, including a set of freshly rebuilt elka shocks and a rebuilt stock rear that i bought from a member on here. i rode with the new suspension for a good 2-3 weeks and loved it....felt the difference from before to after big time....

i bought the quad new, never had ONE problem with it, never crashed it once, never flipped, no motor trouble, ALWAYS MAINTAINED. the quad was my baby.

so this kid calls me up yesterday while im at a family party and tells me i sold him a peice of chit and he's pissed. he said the first time he rode the quad "through his backyard" both rear rims fell off the hub because"i had the lugnuts on backwards". well for one, when you get itp rims your supposed to flip the lugs flat..i know it for a fact...he goes NO, the dealership told me your supposed to keep the lugs with the taper in so they dig into the rim....yea makes a ton of sense, i know im right.

anyway here comes the doozie. he tells me he drove 6hrs upstate to go riding with his buds, second time on the quad, took it off the trailor, rode it through a feild, and the rear shock exploded into 10 peices......i rode this shock through woop sections and sandpits and never ever had a problem. then he goes on to tell me one of the front elkas was leaking oil so he drives 6hrs back home, takes the front shocks to the dealer, they send the shocks back to elka, and elka says the shocks were blown and were never even rebuilt. i know for a fact they were indeed rebuilt because i friggen rode them....now hes *****in at me that he has to keep dropping money into the quad and he hasnt even ridden it. weird how i rode for 2 1/2 years without a single problem and he rides it "through a feild" and the wheels fall off and all 3 shocks blow out. he tells me to mail him the invoice showing i had the shocks done because he thinks i scammed him into buying a quad with blown suspension....i had the shocks done over 2-3 months ago and threw out all that crap after i sold it.

what would you guys do?

i know its tempting to tell him to pound sand and stop calling....i made sure to include as-is on the bill of sale and he knows that so it really isnt even my problem.

i will give him the number to the place that did the shocks, but im sure they will tell him they cant do anything anyway....

this kid pulled up to my house in a 70k f250 lifted to the sky and spent 20min boasting about all of his toys and this and that, and hes calling me cursing that he had to spend $130 to get the shocks from elka

the joys of living on long island...even fellow riders are pricks

CHEVYZ
06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
You said it right about here..."tell him to pound sand and stop calling". That is about it, it isn't your problem at this point. I believe I remember looking at your quad when it was for sale. It was a very nice bike...he should be happy to have it.

whiteboycustom
06-18-2007, 02:41 PM
u said as is on the bill of sale, also u dont know what he did when he left your house with that quad so thats his responsibility, if he was worried something was wrong he should have checked it better or have a shop look it over, also if u payed to have the shocks done with a cc or check u can get a copy sayin where u payed the shock company,

anyways not ur fault he broke it and is pissed, it left your house in good working order

firefighterjosh
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
What a doosch. I dont care if you did sell him a POS ro a Nice *** quad. He should have checked it over better. It is His problem now!

CRich[814]
06-18-2007, 08:08 PM
id tell him to eat me and hang up. i saw your 450, it was clean.

but that truck, was *****in.

A A R O N
06-18-2007, 08:13 PM
It's your job to give him all the details before he leaves. You did that and he agreed at the time of sale. It's his fault if anything went wrong. I could see how he would be angry if you said there was stuff done that he couldn't see like motor work or something and then he came to find out that wasn't true. Everything you just mentioned was external. He is completely responsible for checking all of that out when he buys a quad.

DOHC
06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
so its his problem now if u buy used expect to have problems. My 400ex had a cracked frame, the brakes seized up and the rear swing arm bolt seized up. I didnt call the guy who sold it to me and yell at him i fixed it. My old snowmobile blew up on one of the first rides i got it. The connnecting rod went threw the block the who engine was scrap and it was my problem i fixed it. If u want a warrnty u buy new!

SGA
06-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Forget it. Hes just trying to make you feel bad for him beating the crap out of the quad.
It said as is on the bill of sale, thats the final word.

Ghost-Rider
06-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
....i made sure to include as-is on the bill of sale and he knows that

Sold As-Is so its not your problem.Next time he calls just say sorry sold as is and hang up.

06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
thats the risk of buying used....id just tell him its his problem...I have a hard time beleive the whole rear shock story :rolleyes:

chris46250r
06-19-2007, 08:23 AM
First off I wouldn't worry about it at all if you know you told the truth about the fourwheeler. But I would ask him to see some proof of these exploded shocks. My guess is you wont see any and he hasen't either. I'd just have to tell this cat to honk on bobo.

vett_09
06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
"Sorry for your luck" would be the only words I would bother saying to him again. There's no telling what he did to that quad once he left your house, and there's no reason for him to try and hold you responsible for it.

chris46250r
06-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Grab him right in the throat and look him in the eyes and say "what confused you boy, as or is".

trxwannbe
06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
i think its pretty obvious this kid is just playing games in an attempt to get more money out of you and i would tell him that you want to see proof of this things happening like the new rear shock that would be in there or the new lug nuts that he would have to have gotten to replace the ones he lost allowing the wheels to fall off and the elka story is possible though because i have heard many times of elkas starting to blow oil while being ridden on with no particular reason for the malfunction although i seriously doubt it happened in this case

DVXracer
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Just tell him to stop calling nothing of that is your fault, i remember seeing the picture of this guys truck and him putting it on the trailer, and i remember looking at your quad it was in extreamly nice condition so obiously he didnt just "ride through a feild" and have it start breaking down all over the place :rolleyes: