PDA

View Full Version : riding a quad down the street

mojavedude
06-17-2007, 08:36 PM
so i live in a residential neighbor hood, not a city and theres this good place to ride 1 mile away from me. i would not be bothering anyone riding in the trials, its pretty deep into the woods. i have no where else to ride but maybe once a month we go out riding 80 miles away. i rode there once before but my parents didnt like it and dont want me to go again. 1 mile away from my house theres about 4 miles of trials, its all a town park, trails for mountain biking, quads and hikers. i like to go because theres some 4ft tables and some friends ride there. i always mountain bike there so i know the trails really well. the road that i would go down is not busy, speed limit is 35mph, id maybe pass 4-5 cars a mile. im on a kfx400 with a yoshi pipe and quiet core, keeping it under 3000rpm, going the slower then the speed limit, wearing a helmet, head lights are on, no crazy stuff, stopping where i need to and following all the rules. im 15 and i have been riding quads since i was 10 and before that it was dirtbikes. im more responsible and mature than my 19 year old sister.

well my parents think some ones going to call the cops on me and im going to get pulled over before i get to the trails and get a $200 fine and my quads going to get towed away and then a fee at the impound lot, all of that to a 15 year old kid. i just want to see who think i should be able too.

i know riding quads on the street might give them a bad name but as careful as i am and im definitely quieter then some harleys i think im fine. i just want to see what others think.

CRich[814]
06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
its illegal. thats all that matters. not if someone thinks its right.

now, everytime i ride, i ride on the road. but my dads house (where im at 1/2 the time and where i ride) is in the country. so half the vehicles on the road are wheelers.

tar
06-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I say go for it I live in a town of about 1500 and I ride into town to eat etc. all the time but that's a small town. If you can try riding slowly in the ditch if there is one.

bluebaron
06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
In my town you can ride. If you're 16 with a liscense you need a helmet, and over 18 you just need on sunglasses. So i think its all just up to your neighborhood.

A few years ago a bunch of old people wanted to ban atvs in town, but then someone on the board said if they ban quad then they should have to ban Golf carts, lawn mowers, ect.., so that shut them up and they dropped it.

YFZ450Ridr
06-18-2007, 01:34 AM
im sure its not too big of a deal if its really close, but piss off the wrong person and it will come to and end in no time. just load it up in a truck and drive there, that makes the problem not so much of a problem at all.

the closest place for me to ride is an hour away, people that can ride in their backyard and such are really lucky!!:o

NPelletier
06-18-2007, 04:46 AM
you should be able to, but since its illegal i voted no:ermm:

iraq66
06-18-2007, 07:44 AM
so your sis is 19 ehh....haha anyways when i ride i have to go down a road to hit the rr tracks i live on a hill so i rool down the hill to the trails but on the way home i have to ride up the hill...now people dont care but we have some kids up the road that ride there quads up and down the roads all day long breaking all the rules..i vote yes but as long as your doing eveything right

Ghost-Rider
06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I think you should be able to.When i used to live a neighborhood not in tje middle of the city i would ridfe up and around my block as well as in the woods and nobody cared just dont blast past people and your fine.

DVXracer
06-18-2007, 08:35 AM
You should be fine as long as your not going nuts i dont know bout where you are but by me i can ride all i want as long as im not bothering someone or trespassing .

gbcap
06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
i want to say yes...i think sensible people that don't abuse it should be able to ride it down the road that short of distance to be able to ride...but if its illegal please don't do it. it just gives more ammunition to the anti riding people to get them banned. if there is a ditch...you can ride i nthat normally without a problem. just have your rents give you a ride down there...much better then a fine and loosing your bike.

KXRida
06-18-2007, 08:52 AM
basically, it's all about where you live. If your neighbors are cool with it, then I'd say yea. Where I live, atleast half of my neighbors have a quad or bike, but if I got about 15 blocks over to ride on a powerline, they are all old people and try to call the cops on my all the time, but they have golf carts and rhinos, so the cops were cool and said, it's a bit hypocritical that you called us about him riding, yet you guys have golf carts and rhinos. It was actually kinda funny because I found out a few days later that the cop that came over rides a Kx 250.

Well that story takes place where I live, but up at my camp, the cops just wave to you if you're on a quad, but keep in mind, my camp is in the middle of no where in central, pa, so everyone has a quad.

If it was me, I'd say go for it. I know it's wrong, but I ride on the road a good bit to cross trails.

Old Dirtbiker
06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Different circimstances dictate different options.

Maybe a call to the local police. Explain the location to them and promise them that you will stop the first time there is a complaint.

Might work, might not.

06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
i say go for it. i ride about a mile to the woods i ride in too, and i just take it easy on the roads, wave to my neighbors, and putt down the street on 5th gear. ive been doing that for the last year, and nothing happened.

firefighterjosh
06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Its illegal so no you shouldnt ride on the roads.

Now tehre is a diffrence in should not and doing it. If you can ride down there multiple times and no one in your area cares then moer power to ya.

In indiana you can get a Sticker that allows you to ride on county roads. But you have to be 16 to operate

MO-EX-RIDER
06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Dirtbiker

Maybe a call to the local police. Explain the location to them and promise them that you will stop the first time there is a complaint.

DO NOT do this....the popo's may not even know about the spot and calling will tip them off????
i say if the neighbors are cool and you dont get hit on the road......
ride the hell outta the trails until you get busted:devil: :devil:

but it's still illegal:D

06-18-2007, 08:40 PM
u aint hurting no one, and your being respectful....its fine