PDA

View Full Version : ARS/FX vs GT Thunder front end on YFZ

nicker71
06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I have been thinking about trying out a differnet front end on my 05 yfz450. Right now I have a long travel ars/fx axis thats in good shape. I would sell it and hopefully bring enough to get new gt arms and my stock shocks rebuilt. I know that they wouldnt be long travel but has anyone ever drove on both set ups?? I havent ever had any other than stock and dont know how much better or worse it will be. Also my back shock is his stock rebuilt and link and I really like it. Its just a thought and Im not sure if he even still offers the front end anymore (its not on the website anymore). both setups seem to be popular and hopefully someone here has had a chance to try them both

thanks

bradley300
06-19-2007, 08:38 AM
pretty sure laz has said that the ars-fx does work a little bette than his front end, but for the price, i wouldnt even consider the ars-fx over the gt thunder set up.

laz is also designing new pistons for the shocks, once those are done, his stockers will be better than anything else out there

parkers30
06-19-2007, 08:57 AM
he has told people many times that the ARS-fx/Axis combo has more potential to bet better but that doesn't mean that it is.

nicker71
06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
any idea when these new pistons are comings out???

A A R O N
06-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by nicker71
any idea when these new pistons are comings out???

I don't know but I heard they were quite a ride. :eek2:

rob-u/21
06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Why would you want to switch. From what I have heard ARSFX/AXIS is one of the best front end combo available.

nicker71
06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Well just wanted to try something different. The only other front end that I had was stock. And if I can sell this my ars/fx axis front end for about what I paid for it ( bought it used last winter). I should have enough money to get a new gt thunder. What I would really like is to ride a Gt thunder front end yfz and see how it compares to mine.

casey88
06-21-2007, 01:54 PM
if i were you i would sell that yfz and buy a kfx450 they are faster right out of the box and it is like riding on air!

rob-u/21
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
The KFX is faster than the YFZ? I find that hard to believe. I dont own either but I have ridden both and to me the YFZ seems faster.

A A R O N
06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by casey88
and it is like riding on air!

That's not what I've heard from most kfx450 owners:huh

400exrider707
06-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
That's not what I've heard from most kfx450 owners:huh

Exactly what I was thinking.... no stock shock that I've seen will compare to an aftermarket unit..

casey88
06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
i was just kidding with him he's my brother

Colby@C&DRacing
06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
A new piston on the YFZ shock is not going to make it a completely different shock. We have been using new pistons in all our converisons for about a year. The new piston does flow better and will increase performance but there are still limits to the stock shocks.

A A R O N
06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
A new piston on the YFZ shock is not going to make it a completely different shock. We have been using new pistons in all our converisons for about a year. The new piston does flow better and will increase performance but there are still limits to the stock shocks.

...there's limits to any shock but I think there are things that havn't been exploited yet about the stock shocks....and when they are people could be pleasantly surprised.

Are you using the race tech stuff in the rebuilds?

A A R O N
06-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
A new piston on the YFZ shock is not going to make it a completely different shock.

How is that so? It's a pretty big change isn't it?

nicker71
06-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Its true, the kfx450 stock shocks handle remarkably well in the woods and at the track. He will beat me off the line everytime and then some but I always catch him in the long run. In the woods the kfx is quicker in the tight stuff much like the 450R.

Colby@C&DRacing
06-22-2007, 12:13 PM
A new piston will flow better than a stock one and seal better at the body. this allows you to eliminate one tune variable and make sure everything you are feeling is from the vavling and the adjuster

nicker71
06-23-2007, 01:01 AM
colby@C&D racing what kind of money am I looking at for a axis front shock rebuild and check to make sure they are set up right?? I bought them used.
And also do you offer a front stock rebuild and respring with a-arms?? much like the gt thunder front end??
thanks

Im out for probably the rest of the year from racing ( back surgery) and I want to start thinking about next season.

Colby@C&DRacing
06-23-2007, 03:27 PM
front shock service $70 check valving $25 if they need revlaved $45 per shock

We do the full yfz conversion for $700 and can be set up to match any arms.