PDA

View Full Version : Going to Glamis...Which tires to buy??

BornOnFire
10-20-2002, 10:26 AM
I am going to Glamis on Thanksgiving weekend and I need some paddle tires. A friend of mine recommends Skat Tracks. I personally have no clue which ones are the best for the money. Anyone here have experience with any of these tires. Or any other brand for that matter? What have you run in the past?

JhallettEX
10-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Just to let you know I have two full sets, front and rear, sand tires for sale. Rear: Gecko's, The Trekkers, Fronts: Mohawks, and Dune Trekkers. These are all on Red lables. These tires have only been used about a hour. let me know

10-20-2002, 12:42 PM
20inch 8 paddle sand devils will kick major @$$ on your 400ex, my freind has 10 paddle hualers and htere too much. sand devils are also cheap

DMC mx400ex
10-20-2002, 01:50 PM
you should maybe consider a diff sprocket if u get very big paddles

BornOnFire
10-21-2002, 08:00 AM
What sprocket setup do you recommend? I have a 14 tooth up front right now.

BornOnFire
10-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by JhallettEX
Just to let you know I have two full sets, front and rear, sand tires for sale. Rear: Gecko's, The Trekkers, Fronts: Mohawks, and Dune Trekkers. These are all on Red lables. These tires have only been used about a hour. let me know

Yeah, I am interested. By any chance, do you have any pics? P.M. me. Thanks.

BornOnFire
10-21-2002, 03:02 PM
Any one else? Any suggestions???

maverick
10-21-2002, 09:51 PM
if you can find/ afford them, buy skat trak Taller haulers, not just the regular haulers.
for fronts try razorbacks.

As for rims, douglas black or red lables work, just depends on how hard you ride.

GBC tires are kinda heavy, i used to have some, and im glad i dont have them anymore.

JhallettEX
10-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Dune Trackers...22x10x7, I think.

JhallettEX
10-22-2002, 08:11 AM
The Trekkers, 21x12x8

JhallettEX
10-22-2002, 08:13 AM
Ooops

BornOnFire
10-22-2002, 08:38 AM
"JhallettEX"

You've got mail.............

chad400ex
10-22-2002, 09:28 AM
Stay away from the sand devils, they are heavier than *****. I had a buddy put them on his 400ex, and it wasn't any fun to ride in the dunes. He took the gecko's off his cannibal, and it made a world of difference. I run gecko's on mine, but I'm finding now that they are still a really heavy tire. Even when you run less than 2 psi of air in them, they don't squat down any for extra floatation. I tried a buddy's haulers, and another's sand skate II's. Both made a world of difference for climbing the really steep and tall dunes compared to the geckos. I'm going to get some haulers and put the gecko's on my wife's bike.

sandslinger101
10-22-2002, 10:06 PM
Tires for the sand, on the front for the softest ride sand tires unlimited razerbacks, kind of big looking but not bad if you run a tall rear tire. oh yea did i say soft ride. on the rear was running sand sharks, heavy, harsh ride,over all pos. the full time i was running them i kept adjusting my rear shock to get them to equal the ride of the front and never could due to there heavy sidewalls. rear tires now sand tires unlimited sand skate I comp. grooved to save about 3 pounds per tire and make a really soft ride. now the balance front to rear over the ruff is very equal. only down fall is the prices of the front and the rears but great performance all round. just my 02 cents.

ChadEXer
10-23-2002, 01:43 PM
I got a brand new set of Haulers on black labels,,,used 1 time,,,but not for long because I blew a head gasket!!! The tits arent even wore off yet!!! For the fronts just use your stock tires!!

Sparks425Ex
10-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
The tits arent even wore off yet!!!
I was told that after alot of use they still wouldn;t come off. lol Sorry i couldn;t resist:D :blah

BornOnFire
10-23-2002, 03:12 PM
I have heard that the Haulers are good for drag racing! I am looking at the Gecko's or the Edge's. Are Douglas Red's a little Over-Kill on the Dunes???

Troy86250r
10-23-2002, 05:03 PM
I would get some sand skate II's if I were you. They are pretty light and hook up really good. Thats what I use on my 250r, and my friend has sand skates or something like that, they are way too heavy and dig in too much.

BornOnFire
10-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Yeah the Sand Skate II's look awesome but I am wondering how they would do on a four stroke. Seeing that you like them on your 250R I am wondering if they will bog the 4-Stroke.

New-400ex_guy
10-23-2002, 05:50 PM
20x10x10 7 paddle haulers on the back and mohawks on the front. that is the best in my opionon for a 400ex or z400. 8 paddles are a bit much. the other tires are just too heavy.

i hear that the kings turbo paddles are good. my buddy has em on his banshee but he doesnt really like em cause they hook up too good.

BornOnFire
10-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Yeah, the haulers seem to be great for hooking up. I have heard that they are difficult for turning and maneuverability. Do you use them mostly for dragging and hill climbing? Do I really need front tires or can I use the stock?

New-400ex_guy
10-23-2002, 06:19 PM
use stock if your getting v shaped paddles in which 8 paddle skat trak edges would be the best. or if you use straight paddle haulers which are the best imo get the mohawks you can even turn better than with v paddles if you have those on the front and straight paddles on the back.

youll really like the fact that you got the haulers when you get down into some steep trails or have to climb a steep hill without having a run at it.

BornOnFire
10-23-2002, 06:30 PM
I am really torn between the flat paddle Haulers or the Titan Sand Skate II's. The Sand Skate II's are a little less pricey than the Edge's. I may go that route to save money and skip the need for fronts. Then again, it would be nice to have a full set of new duning tires!!:D

TOO MANY D@MN DECISIONS!:mad: :huh :grr

mopar 400
10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
I run the sand skate II's on both of our 400's. I have run them since our bikes were stock. they are great climbing tires, and lighter than most. The one thing you need to realize is what type of tire you want, strait or V. I would definitly recomend the Skates 1 or 2. I like the Gecko's, but they run a little different than the V paddles, and a re a little heavy.

BornOnFire
10-23-2002, 09:22 PM
The only problem deciding between straights or "V" shaped tires is that I have never tried either one. Hopefully I can get some good opinions here and make an educated decision. Tires are pretty d@mn expensive and I hope I make the right choice. I have never been to the dunes before so I can't even make a decision based on how I ride there........I love dragging and climbing hills but I also like to roost on berms and maintain turning capability. Too bad there isn't a tire that does both......:confused:

Dune Surfer
10-23-2002, 11:06 PM
I ride at glamis all the time and I have run sand skate 2"s with a 14t front and they climb and turn great. If you don't decide meet me there and try my quad and see how you like them.

Dune Surfer
10-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Here is a pic of sand skate 2

BornOnFire
10-24-2002, 07:41 AM
Dune Surfer, thanks for the offer man.

It's pretty much a sure thing that I will decide on a set proir to Thanksgiving. So, I shouldn't need to ride yours. One question though. Did you ever run your sand skates with the stock fronts? I am pretty much going for the V shaped rears I am just unsure if I should get fronts or run stockers for now. How much of a difference will a set of mohawk tires make?

ChadEXer
10-24-2002, 08:04 AM
I cant tell a difference in turning between a strait paddle and a v paddle!! I rode both last weekend and can tell no differece,,,my friends agree also,,,,,thats why we all run Hauler's they are the lightest tire and have the best hookup of any tire!!! Its best to get an 8 inch wheel size because the tire\=whell combo will be lighter that way!! I run 21x12x8 Haulers!!

chad400ex
10-24-2002, 09:18 AM
I don't know if I'd go with the 8 inch wheels. If you are running low pressure in your tires (about 2 or 3 psi) you'll get alot of body roll from the weak sidewalls. I haven't weighed any wheels, but I doubt that there is more than 1 pound (if that) difference between an 8-inch aluminum rim and a 10-inch aluminum rim. Most of the weight savings comes from the rubber on the tires.

On another note, I don't really think you'll notice much a turning difference between a hauler and a sand skate 2 if you put them on a 4 stroke bike. I think when you really notice the difference is on a 2 stroke when you hit the powerband and the back tires are spinning very fast. You don't get that kind of tire spin from a 4 stroke. If you're worried about steering put some front tires like dune trackers or mohawks on. They will keep your front end from pushing out. They made a ton of difference when I put them on my bike. It fealt like a completely different machine.

ChadEXer
10-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Chad,
You would be surprised in the weight difference!! Remember I am a hard core drag racer so every ounce shaved is important!! Look at all the big drag bikes,,,they all have small wheels!! but for someone just playing around in the sand and maybe play drag racing with some friends it really doesnt matter!! matter of fact i think the 12 inch wheels look real cool with sand tires!!

New-400ex_guy
10-24-2002, 12:29 PM
chad # 2 :), those are also the really tall usually 10 paddles tires on the 8 inch rims. those are good drag tires and good for built shees and other high hp bikes. they dont do good on regular bikes. you need a 10 inch rim for floatation on top of the sand. theres not much weight diff since the girlriends bike has 8 inch rims on it and ive compared them both.

ChadEXer
10-24-2002, 12:51 PM
You dont have to have tall tires and more paddles to run an 8 inch wheel!! yes the pissed banshees will run them but 4 strokes will run a shorter tire with less paddles! And actually 8 inch wheels\tires float better than 10's!!(more tire & air=better floating capability) The 8's may not be a huge weight difference from the 10's but when ounces count there is a difference!!! Most of the guys i race run a 20-21 or 22 inch paddle on a 8 inch wheel,,,mostly 8 paddles but the guys with more power use more paddles!!! Just like the new Ultra buff Haulers,,,they cost an arm and a leg becasue they are buffed down as thin as possible to save weight, now there isnt a huge difference between a regular Hauler and a Ultra Buff hauler, but people get them because they want to save as much weight as possible!!

sandslinger101
10-24-2002, 06:41 PM
hey, are you sure skat trak 21x12x8 are that light:confused: they look about 16.1 lbs to me. dont know about the ultra buffed tho. dont these tires make a miss budweiser rooster tail, warning dont follow this tire. good tire for a high-powered hill shooter tho.dont plan on sliding to much tho. sand skate 2 weight about 14.9lbs good all around tire. sand skate 1 comp grooved 13.9,gbc dune sliders 20.1lbs,most of your buffed tires (between paddels) weight in aroun 14-15 lbs. think you would be very happy with sand skate 2, good traction,still slides, climbs good, rides a little stiff tho. on a stock 400ex just put a 14 tooth front sprocket and your set :)

Dune Surfer
10-24-2002, 09:51 PM
I rode with stock tires last yyear, They work fine,better where there are ruts. Just set your pressure at 4lbs and you will be set. If you don't ride the dune much you won't miss the mohawks. Whatever you decide on remember they pump up the tire to much to set the bead. Set your year pressure at 3.5 lbs and your set. If you can use a 14t front sprocket, a little more nuts down low. good luck

ChadEXer
10-25-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by sandslinger101
hey, are you sure skat trak 21x12x8 are that light:confused: they look about 16.1 lbs to me. dont know about the ultra buffed tho. dont these tires make a miss budweiser rooster tail, warning dont follow this tire. good tire for a high-powered hill shooter tho.dont plan on sliding to much tho. sand skate 2 weight about 14.9lbs good all around tire. sand skate 1 comp grooved 13.9,gbc dune sliders 20.1lbs,most of your buffed tires (between paddels) weight in aroun 14-15 lbs. think you would be very happy with sand skate 2, good traction,still slides, climbs good, rides a little stiff tho. on a stock 400ex just put a 14 tooth front sprocket and your set :) Haulers arent the lightest thinng out ther(the ultra Buffs are!!) but i do know the wheel and tire together dont even weight 16.1lbs!

skinrider440
10-25-2002, 03:20 PM
sand skate 2's from sand tire unlimited are the best!

QuadTrix6
10-25-2002, 04:29 PM
sand skate II's or paddle masters

own2424
10-26-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by BornOnFire
I have heard that the Haulers are good for drag racing! I am looking at the Gecko's or the Edge's. Are Douglas Red's a little Over-Kill on the Dunes??? Just get BLUE LABELS, they wont bend. I used Blue Labels this summer and they are still fine. Oh yea, I like Geckos, but they are costy.

own2424
10-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Oh yea, just run stock fronts, theyll do fine!

own2424
10-26-2002, 08:01 AM
A pic of my sand sharks....

BornOnFire
10-28-2002, 08:49 AM
Why are the Sand Skate II's so expensive? $224.99 for rears only on Douglas Blue's? I have decided to get them over the rest but I was looking through the Rocky Mountain ATV catalog and I noticed that similar tires are a lot cheaper in fact about $70- cheaper.

For instance, the GBC Sand Shark's are $159.00. Even the Haulers are $25 bucks cheaper. Can anyone give me a reason why the Sand Skate's are so expensive? Are they worth the money???

Glamis400ex
10-28-2002, 09:09 PM
I wonder the same thing about the Skate II's. Just get the sand sharks....they work really well.

Glamis

Dune Surfer
10-28-2002, 09:17 PM
I think you get what you pay for. Sand skates are lighter

BornOnFire
10-29-2002, 06:37 AM
I do believe that you get what you pay for, I always buy the best stuff. But I am wondering how much of a difference the Sand Skate II's make as opposed to the Edges. How much difference can one or two pounds make on a 400cc Four Stroke? Is it noticeable?