PDA

View Full Version : ideas for a good jump

z400rida44
06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
well i have always been a trail guys and have never really hit to many jumps and i was just wondering if all of you guys that hit jumps regularly could help me out on ideas on a good begginer jump. i used to have a little mound of dirt that i would hit but it would sometimes send my back end way up and i would almost wreck. i had to hit it perfectly and at just the right speed. i think the reason for this was because the takeoff was much shorter than the length of the quad. what kind of jump should i build, how long, high, should it be? i want something that will give me decent air but wont kill me while im learning the basics. i have a large tractor and alot of dirt to use. thanks in advance.

BlaineKaiser450
06-17-2007, 01:46 PM
well i would start with a big pile of dirt. You will want to make the takeoff at least as long as the quad maybe longer. If its too steep it will kick you high but not far so you will case the landing. If its too flat you wont get any pop off the lip. Hope i helped :D

BlaineKaiser450
06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
whoops i forgot to tell you good dimensions. For the takeoff i think it would be good to start at about 4 or 5 feet and make it taller as you get better. For length i would say a good beginer sized tabletop should be bout 10 to 15 feet and once again make it longer as you get better. Make it 2 to 3 times as wide as the quad so you have some room if you dont go perfectly straight in the air. Remember the biggest mistake i see when people make jumps is the make it too steep or too big for there abilitys. have fun building and riding!

z400rida44
06-17-2007, 03:05 PM
whoops i forgot to tell you good dimensions. For the takeoff i think it would be good to start at about 4 or 5 feet and make it taller as you get better. For length i would say a good beginer sized tabletop should be bout 10 to 15 feet and once again make it longer as you get better. Make it 2 to 3 times as wide as the quad so you have some room if you dont go perfectly straight in the air. Remember the biggest mistake i see when people make jumps is the make it too steep or too big for there abilitys. have fun building and riding!

does anyone have any pictures of a similiar jump to this that i can use to go off of. sorry about all the stupid questions but like i said im a newb to jumping!:D

MX MaNiAc 06
06-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Make a tabletop. Make it as steep and long as u feel comfortable with. I have probly made over 30 jumps on the tractor and i dont think ive made a jump yet that i was satisfied when i first made it. I always change it up.

fastyz85
06-17-2007, 04:23 PM
you could make a double so you don't have to use as much dirt but then you might not want a gap in between the takeoff and the landing but it is all about your preference. For me I like doubles more than tabletops even though I do like the fact of jumping more and more until finally clearing it. heres a pic of me at a friends track. his double is about 5-6 feet high and about 6-7 feet wide(takeoff) with a 15-20 foot gap and then the landing is about 4-5 feet high and 8-9 feet wide.overall you would get about 10 or more feet of air. hope this helps

Ghost-Rider
06-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry for the crappy pics, just now went to get them and the deer flies wouldnt stop biting so i was in a bit of a hurry and the suns starting to go down so there way to much light but heres a few pics.

All of these are natural, a couple i dug out and formed a little but its all pre existing stuff.

Ghost-Rider
06-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Another,Sorry for the crap pic but the sun was shining right on it so you can barley see it.

Ghost-Rider
06-17-2007, 04:33 PM
This one is actually a berm but i hit it and it launces me onto the trail that starts right above it.

Ghost-Rider
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
This one is the side of a small hill.Kind of a lip,makes for some sweet powerwheelies/jumping.

Ghost-Rider
06-17-2007, 04:36 PM
This is probly my favorite.You see that pine tree/shrub a lil ways after it? i usually land around there but i hit it in 4th or 5th usually so i get some speed first.

Ghost-Rider
06-17-2007, 04:38 PM
So if i were you id look for a small hill and just take a shovel and make a nice flat incline at whatever angle you like.That would require little digging.But if you have a tractor then id just make small tabletops.

z400rida44
06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
thanks alot for all of the suggestions and pics so far guys. anyone else have any ideas or pictures? thanks in advance

troyleepred719
06-17-2007, 09:05 PM
x
x x
x x xxxxxx
x x x x
x x...................x............ x.....

troyleepred719
06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
haha, that used to be a double, but the pooter screwed it up....