PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuits against Atv's and the Removal of 250r's Continued

blasterandy
06-17-2007, 09:14 AM
That makes alot of sense, and that is what i was getting at. I had no idea that they wern't as sought after in the late 80's as they are now. I guess it might be because the racing scene didn't really take off until mid-early 90's where everyone could race. Not just someone who stood as a pro. I also completly agree with your post on how people who ride dirtbikes learn to respect them more. I have seen too many quad riders who don't know how to ride, and not so many dirtbike riders. Yes, i have seen them but on a much smaller scale. I belive that is part of our on going fued with them, its because we have asshats that just go buy a 450 for there first quad. I know a kid 17 years old, never ridden a quad in his life. He just moved here from new york. he saw my 400 and immediatly had to try and beat me. Went out that day with rich poppa and got 2 new 07's (yfz450) Now he is sitting in front of the tv with his rib cage taped up. And a broken arm. While his dads atv has almost never been riden and his is torn all to hell. Handle bars are toast. Both tie rods are at about 90deg. angles and one tire is off the rim. (says he was trying to do a double and didn't get going fast enough...) Dunno, looks like he was trying to climb a tree to me. None the less, its not only the lawyers who are trying to kick us in the *** with a law suit, but the states (some of them) are trying to have them out lawed. I do believe in certain aspects atv's are more dangerous(having a 300lb fridge roll over you prolly hurts) But like you said its the indian not the arrow. Misuse of the product. (I think mfg. should make a manditory atv training course for atv's and dirtbikes) This would save them from any wrong doing. If a person takes the course honda is free of liablity. If they don't its like driving without a license.

I just moved this from the original post to open fourm so, heres what we started on if anyone wants to join in on the convo.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303495

Its at the bottom

CRich[814]
06-17-2007, 10:27 AM
i dont think i could agree with you more. if classes were madatory, like a two day weekend ride, then most waterheads wouldnt even bother with it and just not buy a quad/bike. what about used machine's though, people get hurt on '87 shee's just as bad as '07 450's. how would they control that?

07250ex
06-17-2007, 10:43 AM
hey man you can only protect people so much... i feel special cuz i started the first thread

<DRS>GPF
06-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by blasterandy
(I think mfg. should make a manditory atv training course for atv's and dirtbikes) This would save them from any wrong doing. If a person takes the course honda is free of liablity. If they don't its like driving without a license.

I just moved this from the original post to open fourm so, heres what we started on if anyone wants to join in on the convo.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303495

Its at the bottom

i disagree with a requirement for dealers of manufacturers to "teach a course".

IMO, i could see argument that would place the blame on dealers and mfr's for not having taught them well enough to avoid the incident..

when left as a "suggestion", the blame for infamiliarity is soley on the purchaser, if theyre willing to forego any available training that was offered.

bwamos
06-17-2007, 04:06 PM
We have a dealership around here that has 1 up'd the saftey course.

The one around here has a system that when you go to their ATV saftey traiing course after buying an ATV from them you get a $200 gift certificate to use towards any merchandise.

It's a great incentive, and they get a TON of people to go through that course that never would have otherwise. They actually have a small outdoor course next to their shop where they have hands-on training.

Eviltanker
06-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I got paid $100 from Honda to go to an ATV safety course, so I said Why not? They(Honda) also paid my wife with her Yamaha $75 to go. I really didn't learn anything, but my wife did. I do believe it is a good idea for beginners to go to this coarse.