PDA

View Full Version : Head ?'s Please help a newb.

cam1
06-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Here is the deal, bought an 85 trx 125 cheap,had a sticking valve, after some blaster + marvel mystery oil valve unstuck, still low compression. took the head off, valve seems to be seating, but I'm thinking it is damaged (intake valve). I was going to do a valve job, but saw a used head on ebay. Can I just swap heads, or do these parts have to be broken in together. Also if I decide to rebuild mine, can I just install new valves, springs, and keepers, and then do a short break in, or do I need to grind on the new valves. I'm a newb any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dork
06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
you can swap heads no problem. if you rebuild your head check your valve guides. if the valve was stuck it may have damaged the guide, maybe not. the valve should fit smoothly in the guide and be able to rotate but not have too much play with it extended about 6mm. you can clean up the guide with a flex hone. if you replace the valve you should lap it to clean up the seat a bit. don't grind the valves as they are stellite coated. also don't forget new valve seals.

cam1
06-20-2007, 05:42 PM
thanks for your help...greatly appropriated.

Because of your post I found this website...it rocks...thanks again.

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm