PDA

View Full Version : i hate myself right now!

QuadRacer18
06-16-2007, 09:30 PM
well, i needed to take my head off my 450 because im doing a valve job and i forgot to let out the coolant before removing the head so a lot of water went down into the bottom end of my quad! i cant believe i forgot to drain the coolant first. what should i do to flush it out? do i need to flush the clutch side or only the transmission side? can i use any kind of tranny fluid to flush it, then when im done put in the good stuff? remove oil fiter? im lost... any help is appreciated! thanks

d3ktrix
06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
It went into the cylinder?

If so you need to change the engine oil a few times, not the clutch side.
Drain the oil before u even run it again.

And no u can't use tranny fluid :P
Neither side of ur bike uses tranny fluid.

JW450R1
06-17-2007, 06:15 AM
What is wrong with the valves that u need a valve job?

QuadRacer18
06-17-2007, 11:50 AM
so what kind of oil is in either side? regular engine oil? It;s kinda weird that there are two seperate halves and they both run the same fluid.....??? I need a valve job because i have zero clearance on my intake and ive tried using valve shims of various sizes and i cannot get ANY clearance. I can even push the valves with my thumb and make them move, which i would assume means shot valve springs.... Righ??????

Sjorge450R
06-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix

And no u can't use tranny fluid :P
Neither side of ur bike uses tranny fluid.

yea you dont use tranny fluid, you can use gear oil tho in the tranny.

QuadRacer18
06-17-2007, 01:51 PM
can i just use a 10-w-30 oil in the trans side when i flush it???

d3ktrix
06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
can i just use a 10-w-30 oil in the trans side when i flush it???

Depends what kind of oil it is, for the transmission side u need to use an oil that is meant for wet clutches. Can't just stick any old engine oil in there, most car oils have additives that will make ur clutch slip.

But like I said before u don't need to flush the tranny side, u need to do the engine side.

And how could u own the quad long enough to need a valve job but not know what kind of oils u can uses?

Hammer trx450r
06-17-2007, 04:43 PM
The oil is seperated so the crank doesnt have to spin in so much oil. It also helps keep the crappy oil from the trans mix into the motor oil.

If you havent ran the bike just change oil, start it and change again.