PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Motor Noise

Rusty91o
06-16-2007, 07:43 PM
My friend has an 05 Raptor 660. The top end was just replaced, and with new piston, and rings, bored out, the whole deal. He said he had a ticking in it, so I figured the valves weren't adjusted to spec. I fixed them, but theres still another noise. It a loud clanging noise from the top end. I really don't know what It is. Any ideas?:confused:

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 08:10 PM
THE VALVE TRAIN IS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET RIGHT. DID HE PUT NEW CAMS IN??? NEW VALVES??? SPRINGS???? IF SO, SEVERAL ADJUSTMENTS NECESSARY. A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE JUST INSTALLED CAMS IN HIS AND HAD TO ADJUST HIS VALVE LASH SEVERAL TIMES. I WENT RIDING WITH HIM 3 TIMES, AND BY THE END OF THE DAY, TICK....TICK.....TICK... FINALLY AFTER ABOUT 3-4 TANKS OF GAS IT WAS OVER.

NEW PISTON COME WITH A WRIST PIN????

WORST CASE, SHOP BORED CYL WRONG AND ITS PISTON SLAP!!

KEEP POSTED AND GOOD LUCK:huh

Rusty91o
06-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, I was able to tell the valves were also right, I used the feeler gauge, and afterwards, the motor ran right, and would idle perfect. But the noise was still there. But I do bet it just needs to be broken in. We were about to tear it all down and ses if there was a visible problem.

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I DO REMEMBER FRIEND SAYING HE USED A DIAL INDICATOR THE LAST VALVE ADJUSTMENT AND GOT A BETTER READING/ ADJUSTED BETTER. I'LL ASK HIM MONDAY WHY AND POST.

RaptorRacer45
06-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Also check the timing chain....if its loose it will make a pinging noise in the motor also