PDA

View Full Version : body lift question

standardryder
06-16-2007, 03:48 PM
does anybody know if a 2" body lift for a 83-88 ranger will fit an 03? my friends dad just gave me a bran new one and i cant find any info. im just worried about the steering column extender, any info is appriciated! Thanks!

firefighterjosh
06-17-2007, 06:53 PM
2 inch? I dont belive they ever made them in 2 inch. I think they only make 3inch and 1 inch. The blocks will fit but the bumper mounts, steering extension, and some other small stuff will not. You can buy a body lift for around $200 a summit racing.

Also check out ranger-forums.com for more info and maybe sell the other BL you go.;)

standardryder
06-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. i dont think this kit comes with bumper mounts, just the blocks, bolts, and the steering column extender. I think just get one that will fit my truck like you said, itll probably save me more work down the road. It is a 2" BTW:macho

firefighterjosh
06-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Damn your right it is a 2inch.

What kind of ranger you have BTW?

My 04 4x4 came with blocks, bolts, bumper brackets, steering colum exntension, ebrake extension, radiator extension blocks and a metal pecie to help keep your AC lines away from the fan

standardryder
06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
I have an 03 fx4. The kit is for a 83-88 so you probably dont need all that for those years, but ill probably need it for mine. thanks for the info!

KXRida
06-20-2007, 12:55 PM
not to bring up and old post, but the rear should fit seeing how the bed mounts stayed almost identical, but I don't know about the front.

04TRX400EX
06-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Please don't body lift your truck. Body lifts are the dumbest thing ever invented for trucks. If you aren't going to lift your Ranger the right way, just don't lift it.

firefighterjosh
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Please don't body lift your truck. Body lifts are the dumbest thing ever invented for trucks. If you aren't going to lift your Ranger the right way, just don't lift it.

I am guessing you drive a chevy? Yes chevys are gay with a BL. But use ford ppl you still can barely see the frame;)

Give me some good reasons they suck?

honda8&3
06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Sometimes you can't lift a truck any other way, does the ranger have any independent suspensions on it? If it did then that is the only way you could lift it is throught the body

firefighterjosh
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by honda8&3
Sometimes you can't lift a truck any other way, does the ranger have any independent suspensions on it? If it did then that is the only way you could lift it is throught the body

Its independent up front. BUt they make RCD, and superlifts for are trucks. You can do ether way.

KXRida
06-20-2007, 09:06 PM
You can call it independent, but all in all it's just a split traction beam.

04trx, please enlighten me on how they are the dumbest things for trucks when it gives me an extra 3'' to stuff a 35? Seems to be pretty practical to me. Yes, a suspension lift is probably the best way to lift a truck, but if you are on a budget and need a little more clearence to clear say 31's a body lift is not a bad option at all. I run a 6'' suspension and a 3'' body on my truck. Surprisingly, it doesn't have a lot of body roll, but that is mostly due to the stiff springs and tires.

54warrior
06-21-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm biting my tongue on this one. I've posted my thoughts on body lifts before.

ZSK
06-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
I'm biting my tongue on this one. I've posted my thoughts on body lifts before.

Except any lift for his particular truck is in the $1500 range.

54warrior
06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Except any lift for his particular truck is in the $1500 range.

That's why I bit my tongue... for certain vehicles your hands are pretty much tied, unless you want to blow a load of money on it.

Most newer vehicles are going with IFS front suspension and coilovers. Sooo much easier, and less expensive to upgrade the the TTB Fords and Torsion Bar Ford/Chevy setups of old.

standardryder
06-21-2007, 03:05 PM
the only reason i am putting a body lift in is because i need a little bit extra to clear my 32's. im not heavily into off roading, just some trails once and a while, so im not going to dump a couple grand into my truck for a suspension lift. Plus it looks a little wierd with bigger tires and no lift...

ZSK
06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Give those torsions a twist and put some Beltech 6400's in the back and you won't need the body lift.

fatkid400
06-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey firefighterjosh what brand of lift did you buy and what did it run ya? I've got an 03 fx4 extended cab and Im thinkin about a 3'' lift...will that clear 33'' tires?

KXRida
06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by fatkid400
Hey firefighterjosh what brand of lift did you buy and what did it run ya? I've got an 03 fx4 extended cab and Im thinkin about a 3'' lift...will that clear 33'' tires?

suspension lift yes, body lift probably not.

One_Bad_400
06-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX

well i have a body lift on my 2004 f-150 and i LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! and some people might not be able to offord a $1,500 suspension lift with new $800 wheels and $800 tires and maybe have to regear or maybe even better breaks... all that stuff adds up and makes a rich man broke...

firefighterjosh
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM

I bought my 3inch Bl from summit racing. I forget the brand name though. I cranked my T bars 4 turns also and it rides great and no rubbing. Very easy install as well

KXRida
06-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
some people might not be able to offord a $1,500 suspension lift with new $800 wheels and $800 tires and maybe have to regear or maybe even better breaks... all that stuff adds up and makes a rich man broke...

haha tell me about it lol. Having a lifted truck and a bike are not cheap at all. Especially at the age of 18. Heck I have my paychecks pretty much spent before I get them. $100 a month for insurence (sp?), gas for the truck, usually parts for the truck becuase something is broke, gas/oil for the rm, parts for the rm usually because something is broke lol.

I.e) I'm swapping axles hopefully today and I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible, but so far I have about $250 into the project. They are a stock 7.5 and D28, but with 4.10's and a LS. That's just from parts and stuff. Jeez for a kid that works part time and is starting college in a week, that's a lot of money to be throwing around. Oh well, I guess if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

fatkid400
06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I bought my 3inch Bl from summit racing. I forget the brand name though. I cranked my T bars 4 turns also and it rides great and no rubbing. Very easy install as well

Thanks I'll check with summit then.What size tires are you running?

firefighterjosh
06-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks I'll check with summit then.What size tires are you running?

33 x 12.5 on stock rims.
Not the best pic but it gives you a idea

ShiftFMX
06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Heres my old '01 Ranger w/ 33" MTR's on it, No Lift at all...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/Mytruck.jpg

fatkid400
06-26-2007, 03:53 PM
How bad does those chew on your fenders during a sharp turn:D

Hey josh your truck looks pretty good...same color as mine

firefighterjosh
06-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Hey josh your truck looks pretty good...same color as mine

Thanks Blurple is the best color:p

fatkid400
06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I know when I 1st got it, it was the only 1 around,now they are everywhere! Still a cool color tho.

JessetheKid
06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
this may have been mentioned...cuz i didnt read the whole thing but a cheap body lift is to use 2 hockey pucks with a hole drilled in the center...just a tip. and you should be able to use any body lift as long as you have enough spacer, and you are a lil crafty.

ZSK
06-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Before using hockey pucks you need to check the local lift laws. In many states (Michigan for example) it is illegal to have spacers that are more than one peice and over 3". Body lifts are already cheap enough it's worth it just to get a standard kit for the hardware alone.

firefighterjosh
06-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by JessetheKid
this may have been mentioned...cuz i didnt read the whole thing but a cheap body lift is to use 2 hockey pucks with a hole drilled in the center...just a tip. and you should be able to use any body lift as long as you have enough spacer, and you are a lil crafty.

Like ZSk said check the law. But I would rather spend $200 on a lift that is proven reliable. It also comes with all the hardware needed. There is more to a body lift then just hockey pucks. You also have to extend the steering shaft and bumper mounts