PDA

View Full Version : XC width?

buckeyenut
06-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I've got a friend who is looking to buy a lt450 but he wants to ride woods and maybe even hit a couple gncc's and he was wondering what it takes to get them down to about 47" wide... If it's 49" stock and stock wheels are in the area of 3:2 offsets, do you really loose 2 inches by just going to a 4:1 wheel?? I know it would make sense that you would but i don't think wheels are always EXACTLY the offset they are called... Or is one brand of 4:1 wheels closer to a true 4:1 then another? Also, what's it take to bring the back end in too? I've heard people say just running the Z400 hubs will bring it inside 47" in the rear.. Anyone got some helpful hints on this?

Derno24
06-18-2007, 04:00 AM
So far you have hit the nail on the head. A 4-1 is not truly a 2" loss, but it is close. I run Hipers on the front of mine 4-1 offset, but I also have -1 a-arms too. Just a preference. The rear hubs will bring it down to about 47" with the LTZ hubs. Again I use that set-up too. Width isn't a problem so enjoy.

buckeyenut
06-18-2007, 10:37 PM
My buddy's too cheap to buy a-arms. Anyone know what exact measurements are with stock a-arms with any specific brand of "4:1"'s?? I don't think he'll buy a Zuki if he can't at least get close to 47 without new a-arms. Might have to talk him into a honda or something. :macho

Derno24
06-19-2007, 03:19 AM
Well I would say it will be right at 47 or super close with Hiper 4-1's. I had them on stock arms and I am almost positive my front end was at 47" or very close to it. The rear is there now with the z400 hubs. My stock measurements had the quad at 48.5" roughly.

buckeyenut
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Cool. Thanks alot man. I think I may be getting a new riding buddy here soon.. :D I've passed that info on and now he's got one more ? for you... Are you saying you were right close to 47" with the quad just sitting? or was that with the front compressed making it as wide as possible?? I don't know why that little amount matters that much to him but it does.. Although really, Going into a tight section of trees or something, it could be bad if you hit the brakes and got an extra inch wider if that extra inch puts you into a tree.. I guess I'm just not used to having to even worry about ever being too wide with my stock honda..:confused: Also, does anybody else know of a different wheel like Douglas, ITP, or whatever else that has more inset then Hipers??

Luecker
06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
The hiper 4-1 offset for some reason is about 1/2" wider thant than the Douglas/ITP 4-1 offset.

My experience has the Hipers at 47.5 and the the Douglas/ITP would be 47". Narrower A-rms will put it at 46.5 and 46".

And the Z400 rear hubs do put the rear at close to 47".

MINOR250R
06-29-2007, 07:29 PM
i run stock honda rear rims turned backwards it works really good i got the rear end at 46 inches

thanks jeremy